Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Advertising

Post New Thread Reply   

BAILOPAN
Old 10-04-2008 , 22:56   Advertising
Reply With Quote #1

So. Running this site hemorrhages money. Even with Google Ads I pay around $300/mo out of my pocket. I'm not a millionaire and I don't light up cigars by setting fire to wads of bills. Yet.

Obviously this is not sustainable. I've prided myself on not throwing image-based ads in people's faces. Statistically a large number of people use Firefox here. I don't want to risk people adblocking and hurting what little revenue there is. I also don't want to hurt people's viewing experience.

But as costs go up and revenue goes down, I'm really needing to consider new ideas.

So how do people feel about image based ads in that upper-right box? What about on the main site?

If you don't like images, how would you feel about a small ad-unit after the first post in threads?

What about if any (or all) of these changes only affected users who were not logged in?

Do you have any other ideas that don't involve dealing drugs or stealing purses?

Thanks for your input!
danielkza
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 10-04-2008 , 23:00   Re: Advertising
Reply With Quote #2

I hate image ads, so I would use the after-first-post one. Scrolling a few more units would not be a problem for me.
PvtSmithFSSF
Old 10-04-2008 , 23:09   Re: Advertising
Reply With Quote #3

I could care less about ads as LONG AS they don't make new windows or popup in the middle of the screen ,blocking useful information.

But.. then again, anything to keep the forums running longer!
BAILOPAN
Old 10-04-2008 , 23:45   Re: Advertising
Reply With Quote #4

Popups and sounds are out of the question
Veteran Member
Old 10-05-2008 , 00:26   Re: Advertising
Reply With Quote #5

Why not that every time that a user posts, he is sent to a page that says: "You will be redirected to your last post in few seconds" or something like that, and at that same page there will be few gif ads.

How's that sounds?

EDIT: Wait, is that what you mean by after-first-post ad-unit? If so, sounds cool for me.
\_¯¯¯

Last edited by Dores; 10-05-2008 at 00:29.
Emp`
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 10-05-2008 , 00:33   Re: Advertising
Reply With Quote #6

The "after-first-post-ad-unit" is an ad after the first post that is the width of posts and after is all the replies.

I think the best is to show more ads to people not logged in whether you add a new type somewhere or not.
Send a message via AIM to Emp` Send a message via MSN to Emp` Send a message via Yahoo to Emp` Send a message via Skype™ to Emp`
Brad
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 10-05-2008 , 00:52   Re: Advertising
Reply With Quote #7

Significantly more ads to those who are not logged in. Still some to those that are.

Both ads in the header (images and/or test) and within threads (text only) should be alright. Within threads, perhaps every 5 or 10 posts, for those not logged in. Maybe just one per thread for those logged in.
Old 10-05-2008 , 01:34   Re: Advertising
Reply With Quote #8

Don't get as powerful of a server? haha! Also, if you guys had some sort of "donation" thing. I would donate again, but .... yeah... There's no reason too! I don't even remember how to donate! I would though lol..

Also, maybe like... special things for donaters! Or a forum for them lol!
Send a message via AIM to Styles
micke1101
Veteran Member
Old 10-05-2008 , 03:14   Re: Advertising
Reply With Quote #9

Well some image add would not be any problem i think but i also think that those who not is inlogged should get more ads
Fry!
Veteran Member
Old 10-05-2008 , 04:54   Re: Advertising
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by micke1101 View Post
Well some image add would not be any problem i think but i also think that those who not is inlogged should get more ads
Agree.
i miss your way in making outstanding plugins...
this forum needs lots of the likes of you..... and less of the idiots that spread right now.