Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

FF2 Any Possibility of Gmod Models as Hales?

Post New Thread Reply   

Captain Capone
Old 02-05-2014 , 18:01   Any Possibility of Gmod Models as Hales?
Reply With Quote #1

So, for the past few days, I've been working on a Hale of Trevor from GTA V. Everything else in the config works perfectly, but the model always comes out as an error. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the Gmod model includes a .phy, but not a .sw.vtx nor .vvd, which, assuming from the example_of_boss.cfg, is most definitely not supposed to happen. So, I thought I'd raise the issue here. Is there any possible chance I could use the Gmod models for usage as hales? Or am I just out of luck on this one?
RavensBro
Veteran Member
Old 02-06-2014 , 00:52   Re: Any Possibility of Gmod Models as Hales?
Reply With Quote #2

only if the model has been rig with one of the characters from tf2.
nope.avi
Old 02-07-2014 , 08:05   Re: Any Possibility of Gmod Models as Hales?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Capone View Post
So, for the past few days, I've been working on a Hale of Trevor from GTA V. Everything else in the config works perfectly, but the model always comes out as an error. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the Gmod model includes a .phy, but not a .sw.vtx nor .vvd, which, assuming from the example_of_boss.cfg, is most definitely not supposed to happen. So, I thought I'd raise the issue here. Is there any possible chance I could use the Gmod models for usage as hales? Or am I just out of luck on this one?
1. Decompile
2. Re-rig the skeleton
3. Recompile
4. This will give it a new model with the TF2 bones and it should work!
Veteran Member
Old 02-07-2014 , 23:35   Re: Any Possibility of Gmod Models as Hales?
Reply With Quote #4

The better question is

"someone pls port this model from gmod to tf2 for me"
Old 02-08-2014 , 05:35   Re: Any Possibility of Gmod Models as Hales?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Capone View Post
If that is so that the Gmod download did not include a .sw, .vtx or .vvd then it's unlikely you'll get far with it. It is unusual for someone to distribute only the .mdl and the .phy so don't expect further downloads to be like that. It's perfectly possible to port Gmod models for use in tf2 just as long as it's rigged up to a tf2 skeleton like Ravens said.
Captain Capone
Old 04-10-2014 , 18:00   Re: Any Possibility of Gmod Models as Hales?
Reply With Quote #6

Finally back on after a couple of weeks. Anywho, thanks for help guys! I got said model compiled to TF2 standards. However, I'm a bit stuck again. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to figure out how to rig the skeletons. Any advice?

Also, just in case you guys wanted to see current progress:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrevorSniper.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	132566  
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 04-17-2014 , 10:46   Re: Any Possibility of Gmod Models as Hales?
Reply With Quote #7

I developed some scripts for making nonstandard animations work on any model with any bone setup.
There are a few limitations.. i think tf2 only supports one eye position, so if your model has more than two eyes, or eyes made to track different targets, you'll be out of luck.

Basically you just need anims for the following:
Active Movement (4 directions is okay, 2 will do but is bad, valve uses 9). There is walk, crouchwalk, and swim
Other movment (stuff that you need that doesn't move you). Jump and airwalk.
Head movement (9 or so head tilts to make the character look around.. Torso can move too)
Idle (what the character does when holding each weapon -primary secodary, item1 etc), you can just map the same anim to everything if you want.
Attack (again, for each stance, but 1 will do.. Like melee)
Reload (optional if you use extra attack anims)

Most models will have these animation sequences... Youd just have to get at them.
So basically you need at minimum
2 directional walk mapped to all movement types, then you can avoid all crouch anims.. But char cant duck.
Jump, airwalk
Idle loop
Melee swing

Last edited by friagram; 04-17-2014 at 10:49.