Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Wallhack Module

Post New Thread Reply   

TnTSCS
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-21-2012 , 11:55   Re: Wallhack Module
Reply With Quote #151

ug... I just noticed that the anti-wallhack module removes player shadows as well... not sure if this has been brought up before... I don't remember seeing it discussed before.

Example screenshots, I put a frozen bot in the spot highlighted by the slight glowing... as you can see, there is no shadow until I can see a sliver of that players model

sorry about the bot's name blocking part of the shadow, but you can still see what I'm talking about.

Shadows is a big part of the game (especially that spot on that map) and if there's a way to not block the shadow whilst still blocking the player's model when not visible, that'd be great... unless the shadow is attached to the model and this is just a by-product of not displaying the model until seen
Attached Files
File Type: zip screenshots.zip (700.9 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by TnTSCS; 02-21-2012 at 11:57.
ChocOrange
Old 02-21-2012 , 18:03   Re: Wallhack Module
Reply With Quote #152

Yup noticed this before but was going to let the core get fixed.

It does need an extra checking point on the model for the shadow which may be difficult depending on the 'light' setting for the map - not sure if this is available. In fact the models still need more checking points as I've discussed in the past.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 02-22-2012 , 02:26   Re: Wallhack Module
Reply With Quote #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTSCS View Post
Intel Xeon CPU X3230 @ 2.66GHz (quad core) with 4GBs RAM, 64-bit Windows Server 2008R2 SP1...
Ok, maybe I need to adjust the upper limit because my workstation is 3.4Ghz. I'll run some more tests on this part of the module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTSCS View Post
ug... I just noticed that the anti-wallhack module removes player shadows as well...
Whoa, this is going to be a tricky one. I think I'd have to get the light direction (can there be multiple light sources?) and then run a trace from their model to the ground to find where the shadow lies. Then each player would at least require one more trace point for the shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocOrange View Post
In fact the models still need more checking points as I've discussed in the past.
In your case you are referring to private 5v5 matches? That's much easier to work with since it doesn't come as close to the engine limit, and more traces can be added. Servers that run 20+ will immediately run into trouble. Might be time to have separate 'modes' for this module and ditch some of the other methods I've been using.
Old 02-22-2012 , 15:14   Re: Wallhack Module
Reply With Quote #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
Whoa, this is going to be a tricky one. I think I'd have to get the light direction (can there be multiple light sources?)
I believe there is only one light source that provides player shadows. light_environment controls the direction of the 'sun' for maps and this is what controls the character shadow direction for the entire map, even indoors. Maybe a more experienced mapper could shed some light (argg...) on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
In your case you are referring to private 5v5 matches? [snip...]
Servers that run 20+ will immediately run into trouble. Might be time to have separate 'modes' for this module and ditch some of the other methods I've been using.
Yes for 5v5 matches, but would also benefit larger servers as players die. There's a lot more stealth when player numbers reduce and you need as accurate as possible data on other players (20v20+ tends to start as a mass 'brawl' and slows down as players die)
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 02-24-2012 , 04:22   Re: Wallhack Module
Reply With Quote #155

It seems that my code is working properly, and the major popping effects only happen when the server is under heavy load (fps drop). Since every server will have a different tipping point, I'm going to see if I can monitor the server's FPS in the module and adjust accordingly. If that doesn't work then I'll have to make a cvar for this.

Quote:
I believe there is only one light source that provides player shadows. light_environment controls the direction of the 'sun' for maps and this is what controls the character shadow direction for the entire map, even indoors. Maybe a more experienced mapper could shed some light (argg...) on this.
Apparently there can be multiple light sources in the newer engines L4D+, but I'll ignore those for now until I have it working for the more popular mods.

Quote:
Yes for 5v5 matches, but would also benefit larger servers as players die. There's a lot more stealth when player numbers reduce and you need as accurate as possible data on other players (20v20+ tends to start as a mass 'brawl' and slows down as players die)
That's a good point. I'll look into these types of changes when the above is (partially) fixed.
Old 02-24-2012 , 09:03   Re: Wallhack Module
Reply With Quote #156

It would be good if you made it an option. In TF2 the lack of shadows when the player is hidden could be seen as a feature since it will often be drawn through walls and floors, when of course it shouldn't, and are normally too short to be useful for identification anyway.
TnTSCS
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-24-2012 , 15:20   Re: Wallhack Module
Reply With Quote #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwf View Post
It would be good if you made it an option. In TF2 the lack of shadows when the player is hidden could be seen as a feature since it will often be drawn through walls and floors, when of course it shouldn't, and are normally too short to be useful for identification anyway.
True - a lot of maps have those "bugs", but it's a map issue, and if they are default maps, you can post about those bugs in the steam forums for valve to fix their default maps.
Old 02-25-2012 , 20:37   Re: Wallhack Module
Reply With Quote #158

The latest version of the Anti-wall hack seems to have stopped the 'radar' bugs for specs - thank you
adrianman
Old 03-04-2012 , 05:14   Re: Wallhack Module
Reply With Quote #159

stil has a lot of issues for l4d2 regarding pinned player positions,if you're behind a wall,the image of your survivors getting pinned will get messed up,especially with a smoker's tongue. Chargers animations behind wals as they pummel the survivors will get messed up too,the red glows of the infected pinning survivors doesn't always show(not sure if it's smac related). And the tank's pink glow when on bile again isn't displayed when behind walls for survivors which it's supposed to show until the bile wears off. So overall it has issues with updating animations for infected behind walls,their red or pink glows(when in bile), and sometimes other survivors animations not getting updated when behind walls.

Last edited by adrianman; 03-04-2012 at 05:19.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 03-04-2012 , 06:07   Re: Wallhack Module
Reply With Quote #160

Quote:
The latest version of the Anti-wall hack seems to have stopped the 'radar' bugs for specs - thank you
Good to hear! Also thanks to TheAvengers2 for the detailed reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianman View Post
stil has a lot of issues for l4d2 regarding pinned player positions,if you're behind a wall,the image of your survivors getting pinned will get messed up,especially with a smoker's tongue. Chargers animations behind wals as they pummel the survivors will get messed up too,the red glows of the infected pinning survivors doesn't always show(not sure if it's smac related). And the tank's pink glow when on bile again isn't displayed when behind walls for survivors which it's supposed to show until the bile wears off. So overall it has issues with updating animations for infected behind walls,their red or pink glows(when in bile), and sometimes other survivors animations not getting updated when behind walls.
I forgot that glows are shown for enemies when they pin survivors, also the bile. I should be able to fix these in the next update, thanks.

Are these same glows shown when playing realism mode?

Last edited by GoD-Tony; 03-04-2012 at 06:10.