Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler

Post New Thread Reply   

veter
Old 11-12-2011 , 20:10   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #41

When decompiling

Error: Offset and length were out of bounds for the array or count is greater than the number of elements from index to the end of the source collection.
V I R U S
Old 11-19-2011 , 21:19   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #42

Are you serious about it?!
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 11-23-2011 , 16:55   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by veter View Post
When decompiling

Error: Offset and length were out of bounds for the array or count is greater than the number of elements from index to the end of the source collection.
You can post a bug report on Bugzilla. Lysis is listed as a component of SourceMod there. It won't really help unless you can provide us with source code or the binary, though.
FunkyLoveCow
Old 12-04-2011 , 21:14   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #44

I have been testing this on a couple plugins around here, just to see the differences between source and what is generated. I keep running into this and I'm not sure what cause it.

Code:
/* ERROR! Unrecognized opcode: genarray_z */
What is a genarray_z?
BAILOPAN
Old 12-04-2011 , 22:48   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #45

FunkyLoveCow: This is a pretty easy opcode to add support for, I think. It's when you declare a dynamically sized local array. File a bug @ https://bugs.alliedmods.net/ and attach the .smx.
SourceMod Donor
Old 12-05-2011 , 19:37   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
Ideally SourceMod would load source files instead of .smx files. This is doable but a large project that would require everyone change their server installs.

Unfortunately, anything less than that could be faked or obfuscated (you can obfuscate source anyway - but it's also easy to de-obfuscate).
I just hope you won't be completely breaking backwards compatibility by requiring the source to load plugins. This won't stop the license violators. Instead they will move on to something that is much harder to decompile and will break easier (which is a bonus in the case of payed plugins).

If you can use sourcepawn you can easily earn how to edit the sample extension to do what you want and still violate the license.

Also you'll have a lot of complaints from people who lost the source to their plugins or used alternate versions of plugins.

In the end, you'd be doing a favor to someone like me. Because I keep the sources to all of the plugins that I use and could easily adapt to this change. While other people might end up partially or completely disabled .

But still, I can't pretend it's a good thing just because it benefits me.

EDIT:
I know this was posted a long time ago on your blog, but wasn't there a considerable performance (speed) benefit in using precompiled files compared to plain source files that evenscripts uses?

Last edited by 1nsane; 12-05-2011 at 19:39.
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 12-06-2011 , 16:09   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #47

The source would still be compiled by SourceMod internally, so it wouldn't make any difference in performance.

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)

Last edited by rhelgeby; 12-06-2011 at 16:09.
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby
BAILOPAN
Old 12-07-2011 , 22:05   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nsane View Post
I just hope you won't be completely breaking backwards compatibility by requiring the source to load plugins. This won't stop the license violators. Instead they will move on to something that is much harder to decompile and will break easier (which is a bonus in the case of payed plugins).
This isn't my decision to make. I don't have any strong opinion, except that it's best not to anger users - and if users want to keep running existing binary plugins, that's important.

It would stop naive license violation. If violators move on to C++ - great. No one wants to maintain or install C++ addons besides, SM extensions don't offer big advantages over MM:S plugins.

Quote:
Also you'll have a lot of complaints from people who lost the source to their plugins or used alternate versions of plugins.
Yeah, that is a totally legitimate concern. That alone is enough of a reason to nix breaking compatibility.

Quote:
But still, I can't pretend it's a good thing just because it benefits me.
I like this attitude!

Quote:
I know this was posted a long time ago on your blog, but wasn't there a considerable performance (speed) benefit in using precompiled files compared to plain source files that evenscripts uses?
Believe it or not, compiling from source would let us eek out - I'm estimating - another 2-3X in general Pawn performance. Loading bits out of a binary is very restrictive, you have to obey exactly what the bits say. If we loaded from source, we'd have the freedom to make all sorts of optimizations that are currently not possible.

(This is not categorically true - we could also introduce a new binary format, but the amount of work required is the same. You need a new compiler.)

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 12-07-2011 at 22:07.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-08-2011 , 11:13   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
No one wants to maintain or install C++ addons besides, SM extensions don't offer big advantages over MM:S plugins.
It doesn't help that SourceMod's Extension interfaces are missing a lot of what we take for granted in plugins. Heck, HintText didn't even exist until 1.4!

I'm only saying this because APIs are better to write in C++ than SourcePawn, just because you can create type-safe Handles in the C++ API side, while you can't on the SoucePawn side.

Incidentally, the handles thing plus the lack of multi-dimension array passing through natives in SourcePawn is why BuiltinVotes is in C++ and not SourcePawn.

Last edited by Powerlord; 12-08-2011 at 11:13.
MindeLT
Old 12-08-2011 , 12:43   Re: Lysis: An experimental .smx decompiler
Reply With Quote #50

This decompiler is an "open-door" for all douchbags, who'll be able to fu**in RIP your all hard-work in seconds, and sell it... Bye unique mod's

Last edited by MindeLT; 12-08-2011 at 12:44.
Send a message via Skype™ to MindeLT