Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Real fake clients

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Fragenstein
Old 06-05-2010 , 02:47   Re: Real fake clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonGT View Post
Yeah, most of the work was in finding a way to get the game version and protocol through code so updates don't sabotage it.
Did you find a fix? If so, please share...
Old 06-05-2010 , 11:15   Re: Real fake clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
Did you find a fix? If so, please share...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afronanny View Post
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voogru View Post
I think valve has some tricks up their sleeve to resolve the problems with malicious server admins, let's just say I'd advise anyone to stop these kinds of shenanigans before it's too late.

I'd listen to voogru on this one, and not run it.
deriggs007
Old 06-06-2010 , 21:07   Re: Real fake clients

I can understand frustration from players that join a server and it's empty. I can also understand the need for fake clients.

Most popular communities/servers have used fake clients to either A) fill all there servers all the time, or B) get the server popular so fake clients are no longer needed.

Completely not allowing a way to get fake clients, in my opinion, will hurt the game community more. We won't have as many large scale communities running 14 servers or w/e, with a large flow of players. Especially if that main server owner is shooting for server popularity or aims the community like a business.

In my opinion, it's not the private fake clients that are the problem, it's this public one that is.

Just like the equipment manager when it was used just for the hats, I was one of the first ones to have hats, privately on my server(s). I had them the same night they came out, like 8 hours afterwards. People said that couldn't be done, I opened my mouth on these forums and said it could be. I stated it was private.... next thing I know, Equipment manager gets released because of my 'mouth'... and now Valve pretty much ruins it.

They are called "Private" plugins for a reason. Posting plugins like this publicly because it isn't 'fair' that people have them is totally bull. Developers spend a lot of time & effort to create what they do. Releasing a public version to get back at them only hurts the community even more...

------------------------

TLR - Keep plugins like these private and we probably wouldn't have a large scale problem like we have had....

My .02c

Last edited by deriggs007; 06-06-2010 at 21:14.
Send a message via MSN to deriggs007
Kevin_b_er
SourceMod Donor
Old 06-06-2010 , 23:38   Re: Real fake clients

So it's OK to cheat so long as the public doesn't find out about it?
Old 06-07-2010 , 00:25   Re: Real fake clients

That's the impression I got... Granted when these plugins first started being used there wasn't such a negative stigma attached to them. It was only after they became public and started to be abused that things went down hill.
Old 06-07-2010 , 06:09   Re: Real fake clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_b_er View Post
So it's OK to cheat so long as the public doesn't find out about it?

If having fake clients is considered cheating, then having sourcemod on your server is considered cheating. You know, giving Admins some neat benefits, or donators in general. Hell, Voogru's cool hats would be considered cheating since the other servers don't have it??? Cool, modded servers would be cheating, if that's your definition.

Fake clients has an unwanted effect for some, and a wanted effect for others. Some players a part of communities enjoy having fake clients on there servers, since they know they don't have to sit 5 hours on the server inviting friends to get a game on. People are simply lazy when it comes to filling up servers anymore, they'd rather play on a full server then there own.

As a server owner, fake clients is a good answer to that, even if it does have that unwanted effect. It's just this public one that is ruining the game, not the private. I bet 80+% of the fake client servers are using either this plugin, or a small modified version.
BrutalGoerge
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-07-2010 , 06:17   Re: Real fake clients

There is no logical reason for using this. Tricking people into your server should result in getting it blocked from public listing imo, but they won't do that cuz thats a bit of a can of worms.

Plus it really doesn't work. people connect, thinking its full, leave, and blacklist you.

If you feel your server needs this mod to get traffic, then your server probably sucks
Old 06-07-2010 , 11:49   Re: Real fake clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGoerge View Post
There is no logical reason for using this. Tricking people into your server should result in getting it blocked from public listing imo, but they won't do that cuz thats a bit of a can of worms.

Plus it really doesn't work. people connect, thinking its full, leave, and blacklist you.

If you feel your server needs this mod to get traffic, then your server probably sucks

Yeah, you're right. The Lotus servers, SourceOP, and various other top servers all suck, but use fake clients. That sorta... contradicts itself

It helps if you know how to use it, and screws you over if you don't.
DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 06-07-2010 , 13:14   Re: Real fake clients

I think every server in the top 20 uses fake clients, except mine.

KyleS
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 06-07-2010 , 15:51   Re: Real fake clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriggs007 View Post
Yeah, you're right. The Lotus servers, SourceOP, and various other top servers all suck, but use fake clients. That sorta... contradicts itself

It helps if you know how to use it, and screws you over if you don't.
Well to be fair, Mana is full of *poop* 90% of the time over at Lotus.

I have to admit, I've had the temptation to use this in the past, however after I was redirected so many times from TheQClan setting up Redirect servers with fakeclients I said forget it and did it the legitimate way. Your logic is rather flawed Dylan, I hope you see that in time as this is in no way valid for anyone to use.
Closed Thread