Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Counter-Bet!

Post New Thread Reply   

ajax
Veteran Member
Old 06-07-2005 , 00:59   Counter-Bet!
Reply With Quote #1

i'd like to get input from everyone on what the next gambling script should be. before i made the LastManStanding (LMS) script i made a more general gambling script for my LAN. that one didn't work out as well as i hoped, so i thought i'd ask what you would like in a gambling script and how it should work.

the framework will be the same as LMS, but there are some logistics to be worked out...
- how to prevent people from hedging their bets... placing their bet on the enemy so they win no matter what happens to the outcome.
- how do you calculate the odds (without lagging the server with too much math)?
- what is the incentive for placing your bet earlier rather than later when the outcome is more predictable?

my first attempt used a simple odds and incentive system like this... the odds were based on the amount of players living at the time the bet was placed. if there were 5 CT's alive when you placed a bet on Terrorists, there would be the potential for a 5x payoff. that way the payoff was bigger for the longshot team. it also encouraged you to bet as early as possible. and best of all there was minimal math involved.

at the time i made the script, i didn't limit bets to the dead -- anyone could bet at any time. so that all sounds fine, except what happened was everyone bet for their team (or the enemy if they were pessimistic) as soon as they spawned. i could limit betting to dead only, but i don't know if that's enough to make the system more fun, rather than an automatic exercise.

so, any suggestions?
ajax
Veteran Member
Old 06-07-2005 , 01:00  
Reply With Quote #2

XE_ManUp
Old 06-07-2005 , 02:00  
Reply With Quote #3

Well, you could allow a bet at round start (player_spawn, whatever) on who the last person alive on each team will be. This would be a "blind bet," considering there is no way to know that. The reward could be significant.

This would be easier to code as well if you intergrated a player count. You wouldn't even have to carry it over to the next round.
ajax
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2005 , 04:25  
Reply With Quote #4

i've started conversion of the LastManStanding script over to open betting. this is the simple plan for first beta...

- any player can place a bet when once they are dead.

- the odds will simply be the number of players alive at the time of the bet. if $1000 is wagered when there are 2 terrorists and 8 counter-terrorists, a bet on CT stands to win $250 (4:1 odds) while a bet on T stands to win $4000 (1:4 longshot).
Mattie
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2005 , 09:18  
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax
i've started conversion of the LastManStanding script over to open betting. this is the simple plan for first beta...

- any player can place a bet when once they are dead.

- the odds will simply be the number of players alive at the time of the bet. if $1000 is wagered when there are 2 terrorists and 8 counter-terrorists, a bet on CT stands to win $250 (4:1 odds) while a bet on T stands to win $4000 (1:4 longshot).
I like this. You could even use the menu-say functionality by Mani to explain the odds if you really wanted to.

There was a mod for this wagering back in CS 1.6+. You might want to figure out what it supported and see if that makes sense for this script.

I think people might make money on me. I play about 3x better when I'm the only one alive on my team. ;)

By the way, if you didn't notice, you're on the front page of counter-script.net:
http://www.counter-script.net/

Great work,
-Mattie
XE_ManUp
Old 06-09-2005 , 11:33  
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie
I like this. You could even use the menu-say functionality by Mani to explain the odds if you really wanted to.
The only thing about using the ma_msay command is that at any moment (from my understanding), valve is going to break this function. Therefore, you may want to code a backup.

Am I right on this? If not, I am adding this to everything I have.
Mattie
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2005 , 12:12  
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XE_ManUp
Quote:
The only thing about using the ma_msay command is that at any moment (from my understanding), valve is going to break this function. Therefore, you may want to code a backup.

Am I right on this? If not, I am adding this to everything I have.
Valve will probably break it, but maybe not completely. Their known changes would actually break menus that use this, but possibly not "messages". I'd place it at 50-50 that menu messages will eventually be broken. I place it at 70-30 that radio-like menu interation will be broken (e.g. amx-style menus in Mani).

-Mattie
ajax
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2005 , 12:22  
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
There was a mod for this wagering back in CS 1.6+. You might want to figure out what it supported and see if that makes sense for this script.
can anyone provide details about the CS1.6 betting system?

Quote:
By the way, if you didn't notice, you're on the front page of counter-script.net:
http://www.counter-script.net/
no i didn't know. cool!
ichthys
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2005 , 21:02  
Reply With Quote #9

autograph plz?
Old 06-21-2005 , 23:40  
Reply With Quote #10

this script pack is done, and it's fun!

find it on the new forum <HERE>