12% 

Valve's Master Server Geo Location Database

Post New Thread Reply   

gamemann
Veteran Member
Old 03-25-2019 , 23:57   Valve's Master Server Geo Location Database
Reply With Quote #1

Hello everyone,

I was just curious if anyone knew what geo-location database Valve's Master Server uses to choose servers closest to the player's geo-location. I'm not sure if it uses MaxMind, IP2Location, or another database.

I've tried emailing multiple Valve employees, but as expected, no response.

Thank you!

Check out my GitHub here!
Send a message via Skype™ to gamemann
gamemann
Veteran Member
Old 04-06-2019 , 01:07   Re: Valve's Master Server Geo Location Database
Reply With Quote #2

Hi all,

I just wanted to provide an update. I am pretty sure the Valve Master Server uses IP2Location to determine a server's geo-location.

IP2Location told me my IPv4 block wouldn't be updated until the May release of the database. But today I saw my block was updated this month (before, no geo location was set). When no geo location is set, my servers showed at the very top of the Master Server query and I couldn't see my servers in-game unless if I specified tag filters. This is the Valve Master Server query I used to check my servers:

https://api.steampowered.com/IGameServersService/GetServerList/v1/?limit=20000&key=<steamWebAPIKey>&filter=\app id\<appID>

Now, my servers don't show at the very top and I can find them without setting any filters in-game.

I also had my IPv4 block's geo-location changed for other databases such as MaxMind, NeuStar, and a couple other smaller databases a few weeks ago. Nothing changed in the Valve Master Server until IP2Location's database updated.

I hope this helps anyone else that comes across this question!

Thank you.

Check out my GitHub here!
Send a message via Skype™ to gamemann
Ejziponken
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-06-2019 , 08:16   Re: Valve's Master Server Geo Location Database
Reply With Quote #3

I think they using a few different ones including MaxMind. Unless they changed that.