Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Day of Defeat: GO

Post New Thread Reply   

Relaxen
Old 01-27-2015 , 06:09   Day of Defeat: GO
Reply With Quote #1

Hello everyone,

I'm looking forward to create a team to make a Day of Defeat:GO mod.

I have created a Greenlight for it. I know there isn't much for the moment just the basic idea.

My first objective is to create a dev team.

So if there are some people who would be interested in joining the team to produce and help to produce this mod I would be happy to welcome them, and If you know anybody who would be potentially interested please let them know.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=381569504

I know it might be a big project and I know it's not that simple...let's give it a try we can always learn something by working in a group functionning like an actual dev team.

Cheers,

Alex
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 01-27-2015 , 10:14   Re: Day of Defeat: GO
Reply With Quote #2

Are you planning on rewriting the source engine? Or just planning on making this as illegal as possible?
Relaxen
Old 01-27-2015 , 17:19   Re: Day of Defeat: GO
Reply With Quote #3

Let's put it simple the idea is to take DoD:S give it a major tweak to make it a CS:GO lookalike and make it DOD:GO but having in mind to be closer to the original Dod 1.3

No illegal stuff even though that sounds interesting.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-27-2015 , 18:53   Re: Day of Defeat: GO
Reply With Quote #4

Day of Defeat 1.3 is much better than source but I don't see who making DOD:S look like CS:GO will improve anything.

What exactly are you planning on doing to make it more like 1.3?
Old 01-27-2015 , 20:16   Re: Day of Defeat: GO
Reply With Quote #5

This is exactly what I don't want to do.

DoD:S in my opinion is a flawed game. We have a strong base though with a lot of assets. I want to use what is already done, tweak it and create a proper Day of Defeat:GO but still having the feeling of playing a new game. That is important or the people won't see any sense in playing the mod.

I want it to look like CS:GO and feel like the GO version and take all the good ideas from there to make a lot better than DOD:S.

Gameplay wise I would love it to feel just like Dod 1.3 ! Bunny hopping, sprinting in every direction, more wall-banging and make it a faster game like it used to be. Aswell I would change the classes back to the original, all classes should have side arms, normal grenades, putting back in place some old guns aswell.

And why not adding the Brits back and if we are really getting somewhere why not putting Russians in there as-well. That would make the game interesting for the players more attractive. The " I need to try this " effect.

These are just ideas which could make the mod interesting for people. But I am currently writing a specification of it to see everything more clear and to see what needs to be done.

But for now I need a team of motivated devs helping me to create this.

I think if it's done nicely it could get popular, there are still a lot of people out there appreciating WW2 games even in Asia and Russia.

It's not only about making a mod, it is as-well an opportunity to gain experience working in a team and to be able to achieve something great together. When finished, no doubt this can be Portfolio & Curriculum Vitae material.

PS: I personally send the link to only 4 people on steam and we have in 24 hours 250 Views. This gets some interest out there.

Last edited by Relaxen; 01-27-2015 at 20:29.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-27-2015 , 20:25   Re: Day of Defeat: GO
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxen View Post
Bunny hopping, sprinting in every direction, more wall-banging
Those are things that I would NOT want to see in a remake of DOD 1.3 to be honest (however, I'm not entirely sure what in the world "wall-banging" is).
Old 01-27-2015 , 20:44   Re: Day of Defeat: GO
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
When finished, no doubt this can be Portfolio & Curriculum Vitae material.
Quote:
We have a strong base though with a lot of assets.
Apart from all the copyright infringement that is, unless you have Valve on board?
Old 01-28-2015 , 06:09   Re: Day of Defeat: GO
Reply With Quote #8

Fyiks that's what dod 1.3 is all about and makes it a better game than dod:s it has a lot to do with the movement of the player but anyway that is thinking material for later.

Asherkin I'm aware that you can't take valve's work and use it as you would own it...I think everyone knows that. That's why it would be a free mod and for the portfolio material I'm talking about stuff we would create...

Last edited by Relaxen; 01-28-2015 at 06:10.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-28-2015 , 20:59   Re: Day of Defeat: GO
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Fyiks that's what dod 1.3 is all about and makes it a better game than dod:s it has a lot to do with the movement of the player but anyway that is thinking material for later.
I disagree that those items you listed are essential to DOD 1.3. Also, I still have no idea what you mean by "wall-banging". I can probably guarantee I don't do any of the things you listed.
Old 01-29-2015 , 06:39   Re: Day of Defeat: GO
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
I can probably guarantee I don't do any of the things you listed.
I'm afraid, this does not really matter, people do. By the way the therm you did not understand is the possibility to shoot trough thin walls,doors and so on.

Fysiks maybe they are not essential for you, but for me and a lot of other people they are a part of the great gameplay of 1.3. Gameplay is not only about maps, weapons and classes it's also about how the game feels when played and how the character moves.