Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running

Post New Thread Reply   

Mini Purple
Old 09-21-2014 , 17:50   [HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running
Reply With Quote #1

Guys, when i open my l4d2 server, the steam says i'm playing l4d2 and i'm not able to open the game, how to make steam stop detecting my server when its running? i dont like to restart my steam each time i open the server...
Send a message via Skype™ to Mini Purple
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 09-21-2014 , 17:52   Re: [HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running
Reply With Quote #2

Simply do not run it using Steam. Use SteamCMD

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
caxanga334
Old 09-21-2014 , 20:51   Re: [HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
Mini Purple and me already use SteamCMD for downloading and updating servers, we use serverdoc for running the server in console and auto restarting in case of crashes. The only problem that we started to have recently is that we can't open the game if the server is open
Mini Purple
Old 09-21-2014 , 21:08   Re: [HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
i downloaded the SteamCMD GUI and did it, so it does not work, and its impossible to run a server using steamcmd console, cuz has no command to do it.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 09-22-2014 , 04:57   Re: [HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Purple View Post
i downloaded the SteamCMD GUI and did it, so it does not work, and its impossible to run a server using steamcmd console, cuz has no command to do it.
SteamCMD is used to download SRCDS. Once you downloaded it, you start it by launching srcds.exe manually. Launching SRCDS this way makes it completely independent of Steam Client and doesn't interact with it at all.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 09-22-2014 , 06:48   Re: [HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running
Reply With Quote #6

I use to get this with csgo.

1. Start your server before logging into steam
2. When it locks up. Close the server. Wait 20 seconds. Then start it again.

Best idea. Host on another machine or in a different user account. Eg. Switch windows users after you start the server.
Old 09-22-2014 , 06:49   Re: [HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running
Reply With Quote #7

Ps. The problem lies when u stop ur client. Steam finds the server process and thinks the game is running.

Eg. Game is already running error
Old 09-22-2014 , 11:10   Re: [HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuro Toxin View Post
Ps. The problem lies when u stop ur client. Steam finds the server process and thinks the game is running.

Eg. Game is already running error
Exactly, steam is somehow thinking that srcds.exe is the actual game and then I can't open the game, the weird thing is that I was able to open the game after opening the server but now if I open the server with steam open, I will need to close steam.exe in the task manager or open the server with steam closed.

Quote:

Best idea. Host on another machine or in a different user account. Eg. Switch windows users after you start the server.
I have my old computer but hosting on it is a bad idea, it's on wireless and playing on it, never, my new pc has better hardware.
Using two users on Windows, I will check that out but I really prefer to just start the server with steam closed, more simple than the others solutions.

Last edited by caxanga334; 09-22-2014 at 11:16.
Mini Purple
Old 09-22-2014 , 11:18   Re: [HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
SteamCMD is used to download SRCDS. Once you downloaded it, you start it by launching srcds.exe manually. Launching SRCDS this way makes it completely independent of Steam Client and doesn't interact with it at all.
i did it but make no difference start srcds.exe manually or use serverdoc, in the Task Manager it will show srcds.exe.
Mini Purple
Old 09-22-2014 , 11:20   Re: [HELP]How to make steam stop detecting L4D2 server running
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
I use to get this with csgo.

1. Start your server before logging into steam
2. When it locks up. Close the server. Wait 20 seconds. Then start it again.

i tried to start a server in a virtual machine with CentOS, but i cant configure the IP, for some reason it's by default 127.0.0.1, maybe is because i'm using a virtual machine, or this linux version is a shit.
PS: i cant use ubuntu cuz my screen is 1280x1024 and i'm not able to c some icons...