Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Buffer Overflow MvM Glitch Found?

Post New Thread Reply   

Bjorngomes
Old 03-28-2014 , 05:52   Buffer Overflow MvM Glitch Found?
Reply With Quote #1

so I Was Investigating This for a Long time Actully

And I Found this Place of the Glitch where it happends

I tested this Out on an Upgrade Station with full upgrades and stuff and when you switch class and back You will get Buffer Overflow and If you Try to Join back You cant Spawn and Play when your connected

This Issue has Been Found on the Upgrade Station Itself! And there is a Refund Option Since Two Cities

Heres Maybe the Only Way to solve this (Plugin)

Maybe when you Join that all of your Upgrades will get refunded Automaticly and the Refund Upgrade Button Always Appears and a /refund option if you really wanted to change class and maybe block the Peoples who are Upgraded Not to Change class Until Refund is done

This Might Maybe solve Many Problems on MvM

Remember that this is One of the Biggest Issue on MvM Itself So Maybe try to Investigate the Refund Stuff This Might be Very Usefull!

This Can Solve Many Plugins that are Affected to This Glitch

Be With Robots
10vm

Keep in Mind that im not Very Good at Sourcepawn so i cant do this sorry but maybe one of you might help?

I hope this will Help Alot This might be Worth of trying

-Bjorngomes
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2014 , 06:17   Re: Buffer Overflow MvM Glitch Found?
Reply With Quote #2

This is because mvm was not designed to grant the player so much currency.
The best way to fix it, is not grant extra currency.
If you are not using any mods that mess with currency, this won't happen.
Also, if you grant players upgrades (by giving them tf2attributes) they can refund them, which can cause problems with currency.
Bjorngomes
Old 03-28-2014 , 06:47   Re: Buffer Overflow MvM Glitch Found?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
This is because mvm was not designed to grant the player so much currency.
The best way to fix it, is not grant extra currency.
If you are not using any mods that mess with currency, this won't happen.
Also, if you grant players upgrades (by giving them tf2attributes) they can refund them, which can cause problems with currency.
I Have an MvM Testing Server And yeah Thats True

But this is About MvM Communities with 10 Players and stuff Its sad to See they are all gone almost Because Some Players Having Fun with those Mods And its like im The Last Man Standing Doing this

But i saw the Refund Option that this was the only way to solve it Must be something with this Im not sure

Everyone must try once if this works then its perfect
VintageDoodle
Old 03-29-2014 , 21:07   Re: Buffer Overflow MvM Glitch Found?
Reply With Quote #4

It seems that much of "buffer overflow in net" is speculation. After much googling, I have concluded that no one has any definitive answer for why this happens.

I've been experimenting with the currency on the suspicion that having over 30,000 cash automatically creates this issue and it does not seem to be the case. Some observations after trial and error:

Simply having an extremely high amount of money does not appear to trigger BOIN.
Going over 30,000 currency does not auto-BOIN.
BOIN can be triggered by switching classes quickly and repeatedly.
Maxing out upgrades results in more frequent BOINs.

The strangest fix (and the only one that works for me so far) is switching equipment while in the class selection screen. Some people will switch to stock weapons while I simply remove all the hats. Putting them back 1 at a time or all at once (once in game) does not cause BOIN.
From what I've seen, upgrades are the main cause of BOIN, not cash. People assume that high cash -> BOIN but I think it's more High Cash -> More Upgrades -> BOIN.

This is all observed in TF2 MvM mode only. Not sure what gmod and CS BOINs are about.

EDIT: My server used to give 25k-30k Cash on wave 1 with each wave only giving $1 (for the refund). BOINs were everywhere.
Since then I have changed it to ~5,000 Cash with ~$400-$600 per wave and BOINs have decreased significantly to where it only shows during endgame when people are often maxed out.

To OP's idea, I think a plugin that automatically refunds all upgrades when someone joins would let that person enter the game but not prevent a subsequent BOIN. It's a pretty good idea though.

Last edited by VintageDoodle; 03-29-2014 at 21:14.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-30-2014 , 20:36   Re: Buffer Overflow MvM Glitch Found?
Reply With Quote #5

As you've found out, going over 65535 cash (or was it 32767) will cause buffer overflows (maybe?).

Make sure that you not only don't grant over this much cash via plugins, but ALSO reset a player's cash when they lose a round as they will be refunded cash back when the next round starts.

There are plugins for managing player money that already take this into account somewhere in approved or new plugins.

Last edited by Powerlord; 03-30-2014 at 20:38.
VintageDoodle
Old 03-31-2014 , 23:23   Re: Buffer Overflow MvM Glitch Found?
Reply With Quote #6

For the total cash issue, I wasn't even quite sure how to get over 30,000 cash because once you go over 32767 cash, the extras just disappear and you stay at 30,000. When you buy upgrades at 30,000+ cash, it immediately starts to deduct the cost of upgrades from the 30,000 (even if you should've gotten more). Also, if you refund with upgrades that cost more than 30000, it just reverts back to 30,000.
Maybe with a plugin you can go over 32767 but I imagine that IF there's a cash issue, it's because the MvM popfile simply gives out too much cash and the players get maxed out without having anything to spend it on.

EDIT: Just made it to 100k+ with uber upgrades plugin. Did not get BOIN.

I want to add (partly for all those people from google and forum search that will end up here looking for an explanation for buffer overflow in net) that buffer overflow in net is very unique to the MvM upgrade station upgrades. I've been running Uber Upgrades on my MvM server and even with $90,000 worth of upgrades punched in, there has not been a single case of buffer overflow despite actions that deliberately try to create a buffer overflow (such as switching classes rapidly or hoarding money).

I have no idea how valve coded the mvm upgrade station but there's something seriously wrong with it when you get a ton of upgrades (especially across multiple classes). In one game, there was enough cash on a custom MvM wave that allowed people to max out the upgrades of 2-3 classes easily (and everyone did exactly that). When a wave broke and failed to spawn, sv_cheats 1 was turned on to jump to the next wave. Everyone on the server instantly got buffer overflow and was kicked off.

My highly superstitious guess is that too many upgrades (through valve's MvM upgrade center) cause buffer overflow. If you're getting the error a lot, try not upgrading your melee weapon or don't purchase upgrades you don't need and see what happens.

This could all be a bunch of horse shit and buffer overflow might have nothing to do with upgrades but it has been working for me and on servers with 30,000+ cash right on wave 1, it has definitely helped me.

Last edited by VintageDoodle; 04-01-2014 at 00:46.
Bjorngomes
Old 04-07-2014 , 16:20   Re: Buffer Overflow MvM Glitch Found?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageDoodle View Post
For the total cash issue, I wasn't even quite sure how to get over 30,000 cash because once you go over 32767 cash, the extras just disappear and you stay at 30,000. When you buy upgrades at 30,000+ cash, it immediately starts to deduct the cost of upgrades from the 30,000 (even if you should've gotten more). Also, if you refund with upgrades that cost more than 30000, it just reverts back to 30,000.
Maybe with a plugin you can go over 32767 but I imagine that IF there's a cash issue, it's because the MvM popfile simply gives out too much cash and the players get maxed out without having anything to spend it on.

EDIT: Just made it to 100k+ with uber upgrades plugin. Did not get BOIN.

I want to add (partly for all those people from google and forum search that will end up here looking for an explanation for buffer overflow in net) that buffer overflow in net is very unique to the MvM upgrade station upgrades. I've been running Uber Upgrades on my MvM server and even with $90,000 worth of upgrades punched in, there has not been a single case of buffer overflow despite actions that deliberately try to create a buffer overflow (such as switching classes rapidly or hoarding money).

I have no idea how valve coded the mvm upgrade station but there's something seriously wrong with it when you get a ton of upgrades (especially across multiple classes). In one game, there was enough cash on a custom MvM wave that allowed people to max out the upgrades of 2-3 classes easily (and everyone did exactly that). When a wave broke and failed to spawn, sv_cheats 1 was turned on to jump to the next wave. Everyone on the server instantly got buffer overflow and was kicked off.

My highly superstitious guess is that too many upgrades (through valve's MvM upgrade center) cause buffer overflow. If you're getting the error a lot, try not upgrading your melee weapon or don't purchase upgrades you don't need and see what happens.

This could all be a bunch of horse shit and buffer overflow might have nothing to do with upgrades but it has been working for me and on servers with 30,000+ cash right on wave 1, it has definitely helped me.
Didnt Responded for a While But shall work

I maybe gonna reduce the money to 10k and then make the server public But i need time and aswell the mvm_upgrades.txt I reduced the reload speed and Firing Speed (Because it was a bit too OP With soldier and demo)

and yeah im basicly an MvM Player But the reason why i play is to try to get a Golden Frying Pan (Which can be used for investigating stuff or something)

Cost me something But i have fun with mvm

So i might investigate tomorrow
rowedahelicon
Old 01-05-2015 , 16:26   Re: Buffer Overflow MvM Glitch Found?
Reply With Quote #8

I really don't mean to bring up a dead thread, but I wanted to add in that removing all of your hats + canteen will stop buffer overflows based on our research.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 01-06-2015 , 11:15   Re: Buffer Overflow MvM Glitch Found?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedahelicon View Post
I really don't mean to bring up a dead thread, but I wanted to add in that removing all of your hats + canteen will stop buffer overflows based on our research.
I (and most competent players) would not play in any server that made it impossible to equip a canteen.

Not really a useful fix. Even stripping out all the hats will make some people leave itself, but the canteen removal would be a definite deal breaker for a lot of players.

Valve is not going to bother fixing this because the way they coded the upgrade station, it works perfectly fine with all their missions. It's only your plugins/missions that give $30,000 cash (no mission needs freaking $30,000 anyway) that causes the issue. Like someone suggested, perhaps stop giving too much money to players (in my experience, anything > $10,000 is too much money). Having each player max out 3-4 classes sounds LOL-broken.

Last edited by Potato Uno; 01-06-2015 at 11:18. Reason: Valve's coding