Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

"sm_play" directions?

Post New Thread Reply   

jadhomer
Old 03-10-2014 , 02:32   "sm_play" directions?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello everyone! I have been searching far and wide for some comprehensive instructions (post steam pipe of course) on how to use the sm_play command and installing the files on a server. I have created a "sound" directory in the tf directory on my server. Inside that sound directory, I have made a folder called "player", and then deposited my sounds into that. I have also mirrored "sound/player/<sounds>" in the custom folder. I then synced the fast download server up with that. However, the sound files will not download, nor play. I have checked the fast download server, it has mirrored the "sound/player/<sounds>" directory perfectly. Also, all of the sounds are zipped into bz2.

Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please give me like step by step instructions that I can follow, that are proven to work?

I hope you guys can help me out with this, thanks!
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2014 , 02:38   Re: "sm_play" directions?
Reply With Quote #2

The connecting clients need to know that they need to download the sound files. Simply placing them in a folder doesn't tell the clients that they exist.

This is generally done with the AddFileToDownloadsTable() and Precache*() functions. But since you aren't making a new plugin (just utilizing a stock SM function), try this plugin out:

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=69005

sm_play is generally used with sound files that exist within the stock TF2 installation. For example:

sm_play @all commentary/tf2-comment000.wav
sm_play @all ui/gamestartup1.mp3
sm_play @all ui/gamestartup3.mp3

Last edited by ddhoward; 03-10-2014 at 02:40.
jadhomer
Old 03-10-2014 , 02:49   Re: "sm_play" directions?
Reply With Quote #3

Oh wow, haha. I didn't realize that. Thanks for your help (and your quick response )!