[TF2] sv_allow_wait_command

Post New Thread Reply   

AeroAcrobat
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-23-2013 , 14:57   [TF2] sv_allow_wait_command
Reply With Quote #1

Code:
sv_allow_wait_command 1
- Allow or disallow the wait command on clients connected to this server.
I'm not sure if its a good idea to leave this command on because its often used for spamming text over & over, weapon scripts and other advantages against non-script players.

SM flood protection and smac should handle most spam.
I think gmod servers have this command completly removed.

1.) What would be the downside if this command would be disabled ?
I can only think of some usefull scripts for enigeer buildings (not sure if wait cmd is needed for them) ...

http://topnotchclan.com/showthread.p...w_wait_command

2.) Does anyone has experience in running a server with the wait command disabled, if so: whats the players reaction to this ?
3.) Would you suggest to disable it ?

Thanks!

Last edited by AeroAcrobat; 04-23-2013 at 14:59.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 04-23-2013 , 15:30   Re: [TF2] sv_allow_wait_command
Reply With Quote #2

I would disable that so players
wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait; wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;
scripts would not work perferctly, you remove "delays" from they.

Last edited by Bacardi; 04-23-2013 at 15:30. Reason: wait;
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 04-23-2013 , 22:25   Re: [TF2] sv_allow_wait_command
Reply With Quote #3

I have a script running that calls STATUS every 2.5 minutes. This script relies on the WAIT command being enabled.

If I join a server that has it disabled, the loop removes all delays and increases to maximum speed, raping my CPU and crashing TF2.

Indeed, any person who has a looping script, whether they start it before or after joining the server, will crash if the server does not allow WAIT.

Last edited by ddhoward; 04-23-2013 at 22:27.
MasterOfTheXP
Veteran Member
Old 04-23-2013 , 23:59   Re: [TF2] sv_allow_wait_command
Reply With Quote #4

^ This. I was unable to join many servers for the longest time, had no idea why, and everyone else thought it was because I was on a Mac.

Players with harmless looping scripts receive no warning that the server has disabled wait until their client dies, so please think twice before you disable it and potentially lose players.
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 04-24-2013 , 00:01   Re: [TF2] sv_allow_wait_command
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
I have a script running that calls STATUS every 2.5 minutes. This script relies on the WAIT command being enabled.

If I join a server that has it disabled, the loop removes all delays and increases to maximum speed, raping my CPU and crashing TF2.

Indeed, any person who has a looping script, whether they start it before or after joining the server, will crash if the server does not allow WAIT.
Why do you have a script that does this?
Old 04-24-2013 , 00:49   Re: [TF2] sv_allow_wait_command
Reply With Quote #6

• Because oftentimes I need to track down or grab the Steam ID of a person who has just left the server. The "Recent Games" list that Steam provides is often unreliable. My reasons for needing to track down such a user range from "I want to trade this guy but he left before I could trade him" to "I'm going to ban the shit out of this racist asshole."
  • Because such information is invaluable to my admin-ing. Console.log contains everyone's IDs, which is very nice. (I don't have access to the server logs or RCON, only the owner does. All I have is my client-side conlogs.)

I've only had tf2 freeze on me because of this issue twice, both times on the same server. The next day, they re-enabled the wait command. I have yet to run into another server that has the command disabled.

I had since modified my script to have an "off switch," but I haven't had to use it yet.

The only time I could ever see myself disabling the WAIT command is for some sort of serious gameplay session, where EVERY player going into the event knows beforehand that WAIT is disabled.

Last edited by ddhoward; 04-24-2013 at 01:11.
Ade
I love purple
Old 04-24-2013 , 02:40   Re: [TF2] sv_allow_wait_command
Reply With Quote #7

i have it enabled only on match servers to be able to start that countdown script, after which it's disabled.
on my other severs it's disabled as, imo, it should be, to get rid of cheap scripts.. trading applies only to tf2 and if you're gon ban someone then that means u also have access to server logs. if you don't then you can always type status in console when there's a trouble maker on the server, get steamid and then contact admin, no need to run something constantly, again, imHo

i do have a client script myself and even that i don't keep running, there are binds for: run cfg, start and stop the script. this servers me only for refreshing the health in spectate mode which i run from source tv and not on the server itself. sometimes it works, sometimes it fkn crashes even in source tv, god knows why
Old 04-24-2013 , 03:55   Re: [TF2] sv_allow_wait_command
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade View Post
if you're gon ban someone then that means u also have access to server logs.
Really? I can access the logs without FTP access to the server? By merely having ADMFLAG_BAN I somehow have access to the server logs?

Could have sworn that one would need access to the server's filesystem to access the logs. ;)

Quote:
if you don't then you can always type status in console when there's a trouble maker on the server
Does STATUS include players who have already left the server? I don't think it does. If it doesn't, then manually calling status doesn't work if someone calls me a faggot over the mic and then immediately disconnects. Further, I cannot manually call STATUS if I am AFK. :\

Last edited by ddhoward; 04-24-2013 at 04:17.
Ade
I love purple
Old 04-24-2013 , 08:50   Re: [TF2] sv_allow_wait_command
Reply With Quote #9

sry if ur pissed for some reason, but i think you got my point and don't have to be an ass about it.. if you're not a full admin as in ALSO ftp access then you can ask an admin to look in the logs for the TIME this name calling occurred, having a steamid will just make the super admin's job easier. there's a solution for most stuff out there
[another way of having steamid is with a connect info plugin that craps that shit right in chat as someone connects/disconnects saying from where and with what steamid]

even if you do get his steam id thru a script, the proof of him calling you names would still be in a log (if he calls you a faggot over mic while ur afk.. and then disconnects, how can u even know unless someone told you but then you cant believe without demo, and even so, how can you be bothered by that wow u srs.. but again, it comes back to PROOF), unless your script records everything in the console aka statuses AND chat?.. or unless you're always recording demos? lol i don't even..

so I as main admin wouldn't ban any1 without that log just cus someone asked me to + if a sub sourcemod admin (with no ftp access) DOES ban then I will check why. I have a rule that requires proof for every ban (demos or logs) so really, my common sense tells me your script wouldn't serve anyone, moreover it creates unwanted server traffic

Last edited by Ade; 04-24-2013 at 08:55.
cool_myll
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-24-2013 , 11:42   Re: [TF2] sv_allow_wait_command
Reply With Quote #10

I dont have any complains in my server. I have it disabled cause it prevent some sneaky scripts that allow for example to autodetonate the stickies at the minimum time possible.