Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Some consult.

Post New Thread Reply   

h3h3
Old 02-01-2012 , 03:08   Some consult.
Reply With Quote #1

Hey, I'm have been always bought a CS1.6 server from a company's hosts, After been kinda of dissapointed over the years by the smooth/performances of the server I bought (all of them marketed as being in great and good Server farm and in the main city city in terms of physical distance [the "main city" is very close to me thought])

Anyways, this time I was about buying from Hypernia.com a CS1.6 500FPS (they host a server in the "main city" in my country), all the server I had in the past was on LINUX and they got max of 330fps, and All I do in the server is playing 2v2,3v3,4v4,5v5 and have AMXX, headshot plugin (most of the times off) and METAMOD in my server - not really huge deal to make the fps to be 330fps.
Anyways, I did some search and asked around sites on the net and I come to the idea that windows 2008 server is more easier for performance boost via simple plugin/s, when on LINUX you must recompile the whole server's OS for chaning the configuration - which thing that the server-hosts wouldn't do or dont know how.

Anyways, since Hypernia servers running on WINDOWS (2008?) so I thought maybe I can ask them to boost the performance from 500FPS to 1000FPS, but they told this: "No, Valve doesn't support this anymore and they will be locking this down further in the future to remove the "hacks" that still allow this to be changed........... .exe and .dll files etc are restricted.
If that mod contains those files it will need to be loaded through the control panel.
If it isn't already available you can submit a ticket to request it be added, we'll review the mod and add the mod if it doesn't pose any security risks."

Now my question - is that the mmtimer plugin or any 1000fps include in it any security risk?
I dont get it, thats only a plugin to boost the server performances, thats it, not an hack or cheat - the more fps on the server ,the more smooth CS1.6 becomes.
My net is quite picky (ADSL 8MB) - when I'm playing on public with 12 users server my ping is very good ( 14-18 ) and stable as hell 100fps but I get always chooke 100 (net_graph 3) when I see more than 2 servel models around, happens sometimes in private servers but when the server's rates are set to optimal theres not issue.

Last edited by h3h3; 02-01-2012 at 03:08.
Rirre
Veteran Member
Old 02-01-2012 , 05:17   Re: Some consult.
Reply With Quote #2

mmtimer is a security risk, yes.
Because it force the CPU to work 99-100% all the time with mm_insane 1-2.
Most of the game server providers use quad, octa, hexa, deca core and put 2 or more per core. Which will result to your game server and all their other customers on the same core to work until it can't handle it anymore.

There is an easier way to force the game server up to 1000 FPS without to make the CPU to work 99-100%, but with Windows platform.
Use HLSM.