Originally Posted by pheadxdll
The only word of caution I have is that not all the bans are justified. They have the biggest database around but not all the bans are for scamming, so it takes some discretion.
Any falses can appeal to me or Butane, and tbh, we have over 1000 scammers in the database, and so far only about 12 or so ever successfully appealed their status. Sorry I don't buy the:
- My brother/friend/son/nephew/cousin did it.
- "my account got hacked, I hacked it back"
Any appeals can be checked upon on the SOP Forums in the Scammer DB Thread there (sticky under buying/selling). I post all of them there. Sometimes they have their own thread, as its of note for some reason.
We honor the trade related bans on connected sites: UHC, UTC, TF2-Trader, ASBO (my home), SOP Forums, TF2TP and last not least RAWR.
We cannot possible check all, so we respect their bans for trade related bans. If it was for scamming, it is the scamming tag, if it was just some trading trouble, it can be a caution tag. Caution tag was in the past for any ban, and later for a ban longer then a week, and since about 3 or 4 weeks its only for trade related issues.
If they have a ban there, they will be listed accordingly, scammer, caution, or not. We dont add ppl for petty (however bad we want to sometimes), and I've been working on the reports to be proven since I've been admin on it. That a certain amount of trust is involved with high rep traders, thats a given, even so with the server admins. We cant check everything. They will have to appeal on that related site, and if overturn, they can contact us to get the tag removed again.
Or ultimately if on the related site it was unfair dealing on their appeal, and they can then apeal to us, we can remove the tag as well, overruling the them. Doesn't happen often, but it has. The only direct appeals to me or butane are related to SOP.
To be clear:
- I remove the tag if the evidence is way too lacking.
- I dont remove the tag if the evidence in contrary is lacking.
- Tags are now only trade related, and can be appealed via the appropriate parties.
- The caution tags are still "dirty" as those have a history with being for having any bans.
- If any non-scammer is in the database, they would have done some pretty stupid stuff to get there.
- Any form of scamming is counted, quickswitching, fake middlemen, not paying up, retracting money over PP, etc.
- We do list alts, if we find alts, they will be listed.
- Caution tags are perm, as we only have recently admin notes per account we can note down on their specific pages. We can't possibly check all the old Caution tags, what the reason was for adding them etc. There is simply too many.
I think I've covered most of it. There is some additional tidbits on the FAQ page: http://www.steamrep.com/faq.php