Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

"Auto-reconnect" -Can this be fixed or is it something to do with L4D2?

Post New Thread Reply   

PpZ | Iconoclast
Old 05-10-2011 , 14:50   "Auto-reconnect" -Can this be fixed or is it something to do with L4D2?
Reply With Quote #1

Hey guys, I'm currently using a SourceMod plugin on my L4D2 server that will output a line in the chatbox (visible to admins only) when any user connects or disconnects from the server - I wanted this because for some reason L4D2 on it's own seems to sometimes fail at displaying these messages, even though they appear to be built into the game.

However, since I've installed the plugin, I've often noticed that when I kick a user, they somehow re-connect to the server almost immediately. For example, here's what I'll see in chat happening:
Quote:
[SM] Kicked PlayerX
PlayerX disconnected
PlayerX connected
Is this "automatic reconnect" something that's built into L4D2 to connect back to a server if the connection is dropped, or is there a way that you can prevent this from happening? I ask because obviously if I kick a player, I'd rather have someone else fill their slot than to have them join back in...and many times, it seems as though they end up connecting to the server but not fully joining in, which means that they are just taking up a slot and no one else is able to join.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated!
Old 05-11-2011 , 06:50   Re: "Auto-reconnect" -Can this be fixed or is it something to do with L4D2?
Reply With Quote #2

ban them for a minute with a reason. So They wont be able to reconnect.

Code:
sm_ban player 1 "Your Slot is needed by a friend"
That would be my solution, if it were my server ^^
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-11-2011 , 08:21   Re: "Auto-reconnect" -Can this be fixed or is it something to do with L4D2?
Reply With Quote #3

Firstly, check your SourceMod and Metamod:Source versions are up to date.
If they are, or it still happens after updating, could you try with the built in commands "kick" and/or "kickid".
If the built in commands work as expected but sm_kick still does not, file a bug at https://bugs.alliedmods.net/enter_bu...duct=SourceMod (login with your forum email address and password).
Old 05-11-2011 , 08:50   Re: "Auto-reconnect" -Can this be fixed or is it something to do with L4D2?
Reply With Quote #4

@micazoid: Okay great, I will try that!

@asherkin: To use the "kick" or "kickid" commands I need to be logged into RCON and prefix the command with "rcon", right? (ex. rcon kickid # "need this slot")

Is there such a thing as a "banid" command then? Or would I be better off using sm_ban?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2011 , 08:53   Re: "Auto-reconnect" -Can this be fixed or is it something to do with L4D2?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PpZ | Iconoclast View Post
To use the "kick" or "kickid" commands I need to be logged into RCON and prefix the command with "rcon", right? (ex. rcon kickid # "need this slot")
Yes, it's only meant as a test to tell if it's game functionality of if it's just something that broke (it's happened in the past).
If it is broken, filing a bug will get it fixed so sm_kick works again.