Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Explaination...

Post New Thread Reply   

Platnum
Old 07-11-2005 , 14:06   Explaination...
Reply With Quote #1

Could someone explain what a few of these things do..? The funcwiki doesn't really explain much.

For instance... when are client_PreThink and client_PostThing called?

All the funcwiki says is

client_PreThink - Forward for PreThink() on a player.
client_PostThink - Forward for PostThink() on a player.

So when are they actually called?

Also, with Hud Messages

set_hudmessage ( red=200, green=100, blue=0, Float=-1.0, Float:y=0.35, effects=0, Float:fxtime=6.0, Float:holdtime=12.0, Float:fadeintime=0.1, Float:fadeouttime=0.2, channel=4 )

I understand the r, g, b, x, and y. But what is everything else? I could easily use these things in a plugin going on other people's coding, but I like to understand what they do first. I know what the Hud Message does, but I don't know what the other things are.

Along the lines of Hud Messages, how do I get the message to show in the center of the screen?

Thanks.
mobytoss
Old 07-11-2005 , 16:28  
Reply With Quote #2

The function names kinda give away when they're called :S
"As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know."
Platnum
Old 07-11-2005 , 17:15  
Reply With Quote #3

Ugh, I get kind of what they do... but what is the effects one? And when are the Post/PreThink events executed?
mobytoss
Old 07-11-2005 , 18:59  
Reply With Quote #4

They're called before and after a 'think' (see engine module)

Code:
set_hudmessage (red=200, green=100, blue=0, Float:x=-1.0, Float:y=0.35, effects=0, Float:fxtime=6.0, Float:holdtime=12.0, Float:fadeintime=0.1, Float:fadeouttime=0.2, channel=4 ) // Effects is self explainitory. Things like flickering, fading etc. hold is how long it stays on the screen, fade in/out time is how long it takes to fade in/out, and the channel is one of four channels that the HUD message can be shown through

seems self explainitory to me, sorry :/
"As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know."
Platnum
Old 07-11-2005 , 19:02  
Reply With Quote #5

Well they basically are... effects though, I don't see how those are self explanatory... how am I supposed to know the different effects ... anyway, last part of my questions... how do I get it to print in the center of the screen?
amxxxxxx
Old 07-11-2005 , 20:40   :P
Reply With Quote #6

im lookin at all topics i can dont mind me
johnjg75
Veteran Member
Old 07-11-2005 , 21:22   Re: Explaination...
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platnum
Also, with Hud Messages

set_hudmessage ( red=200, green=100, blue=0, Float=-1.0, Float:y=0.35, effects=0, Float:fxtime=6.0, Float:holdtime=12.0, Float:fadeintime=0.1, Float:fadeouttime=0.2, channel=4 )

I understand the r, g, b, x, and y. But what is everything else? I could easily use these things in a plugin going on other people's coding, but I like to understand what they do first. I know what the Hud Message does, but I don't know what the other things are.
Code:
effects
Special effects like different highlighting stuff, im not sure what each one does but you can experiment with it or no effect then leave 0.
Code:
Float:fxtime
How long to do the effects
Code:
Float:holdtime
How long the hud message stays on the screen
Code:
Float:fadeintime
Amount of time the hud message takes to fully appear
Code:
Float:fadeouttime
Amount of time hud message takes to disappear
Code:
channel
The channel it is placed on so you don't overwrite another HUD message, i think there's 4 total, im not sure...
Old 07-12-2005 , 00:08  
Reply With Quote #8

Well thanks john and moby for help on the hud messages.

I looked up the PostThink things in the engine module, but it still gives me little help on when they are executed. Does nobody have an idea of when these events are called? I see people using them all the time, someone must know...
mobytoss
Old 07-12-2005 , 11:05  
Reply With Quote #9

Like i said, it's called before and after a 'think'. They're a completely different area of plugin scripting though. All based around making entities doing stuff.
Platnum
Old 07-12-2005 , 11:58  
Reply With Quote #10

hmm... i'll look into it, I don't really get what a "think" is but i'll see if I can figure it out.