Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:
    Plugin Description:
    Allows gas cans in scavenge to be randomly placed using a custom list of gas can locations.
    Old 12-17-2009 , 05:19   [L4D2] Scavenge Remix
    Reply With Quote #1

Description:
    Allows gas cans in scavenge to be randomly placed using a custom list of gas can locations. Each round 16 random gas can spawn locations will be selected. These locations will be the same for each team.

Gas can locations can be edited using the built in editmode. This spawns all gas cans currently saved gas can locations, and allows gas cans to be easily added, removed, or saved.

I created this because I found scavenge to begin to get boring with the same can spawns every single game. I absolutely love this game mode, and I hated to see myself begin to get bored with it. So I decided to make a plugin to spice things up a bit. This makes the winning team win because they can better adapt to their surroundings instead of how well they can memorize and execute the optimal path to each can.

I have included a custom set of spawn locations, about 300 total, as well. They are by no means required, and I encourage people to make their own locations. My friends and I actually had a blast finding neat places to put the cans. Felt like it was Easter time. ;P

Each map has its own file which contains all the spawn locations. These are located in the left4dead2/cfg/maps directory and have the filename format of <mapname>.txt. I decided to let each map have its own file because it adds simple portability. If somebody only wants random cans on some maps but not others they can simply remove the maps file.

Screenshots:
    These screenshots were taken to show a bit of how the editmode looks and works. All cans are changed to have a red glow, and any cans that are currently being looked at by a player will have a green glow. Cans are able to be "selected" through most objects such as walls.

Screenshot1
    Screenshot2
    Screenshot3
    Screenshot4
    Screenshot5

Admin Commands:
    sm_editcans - Toggles editmode.
    sm_savecans - Saves the location of all spawned gas can to the <mapname>.txt file located in the cfg/maps/ directory.
    sm_removecans - Removes all gas cans. Can only be used in editmode.
    sm_reloadcans - Reloads all gas cans that were previously saved to the file. Can only be used in editmode.

User Commands:
    sm_addcan - Spawns a gas can directly infront of the player. Can only be used in editmode.
    sm_delcan - Deletes the gas can that the player is looking at. Can only be used in editmode.

CVars:
    l4d2_scav_remix_version - Plugin version.
    l4d2_scramble_gas_cans (1) - Determines if gas cans should be scrambled at the start of a round.
    l4d2_scramble_notify (0) - Determines if a message should be sent when the gas cans are scrambled.

Credits:
    A special thanks to Poje and Wrs for helping create the custom list of spawn locations.
    Downtown1 for the functions to start/stop the AI director which are used for editmode.

Changelog:
    * Version 0.2.3:
    -Fixed a few small bugs
    * Version 0.2.2:
    -Fixed mistake in client 0 error checking code
    * Version 0.2.1:
    -Added check to make sure all changed cvars get restored
    * Version 0.2.0:
    -Added sm_ prefix to all commands
    -Fixed cvar prefix
    -Added cvar to disable gas cans from being scrambled
    -Added cvar to show a notification when cans get scrambled
    -Added user friendly notification when trying to use commands from server console, rcon, or host of a local server
    * Version 0.1.0:
    -Initial Release
    Attached Files
    File Type: zip l4d2scav_remix_can_locations.zip (15.6 KB, 1230 views)
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (l4d2scav_remix.sp - 2708 views - 23.2 KB)

Last edited by pvtschlag; 01-09-2010 at 14:31.
    Zuko
    SourceMod Donor
    Old 12-17-2009 , 05:45   Re: [L4D2] Scavenge Remix
    Reply With Quote #2

good idea and plugin ; ]
    Old 12-17-2009 , 12:08   Re: [L4D2] Scavenge Remix
    Reply With Quote #3

Very good idea and implementation. Looking forward to using it. Any chance yo could make a l4d2scav_remix_enabled cvar for toggling it on and off?
    triggerman
    Old 12-17-2009 , 12:26   Re: [L4D2] Scavenge Remix
    Reply With Quote #4

You are a genious!
    AtomicStryker
    Veteran Member
    Old 12-17-2009 , 12:51   Re: [L4D2] Scavenge Remix
    Reply With Quote #5

Have rep and 5 stars, man, its worth everything.

One little Suggestion:
    Add to the description the config files need to be put at /left4dead/cfg/maps

Last edited by AtomicStryker; 12-17-2009 at 12:56.
    fpsbrian
    Old 12-17-2009 , 20:21   Re: [L4D2] Scavenge Remix
    Reply With Quote #6

Works great, I love it!!!!
    Old 12-17-2009 , 21:02   Re: [L4D2] Scavenge Remix
    Reply With Quote #7

Any way this can be slightly modified so it can be enabled for versus too? I think a cvar that is off by default, but that can be forced on in a specific map config. I'm just considering Dead Center, since that finale would be excellent in versus if it were different each time.

Kudos again for a great plugin.
    JackieChan
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 12-17-2009 , 21:54   Re: [L4D2] Scavenge Remix
    Reply With Quote #8

Fantastic plugin. Definitely using it to give that little extra bit of variety.

*edit

It was pretty entertaining thinking up spawn locations for gas cans. For my server, I made it so you have to make skillful jumps to acquire a certain few cans (tried to do so in every map). In HR1, I have 103 can locations total... probably overkill.

In some maps like HR1, HR2, DK1 (dark carnival) some spawn locations make you go all the way back to the spawn location in coop/versus.

Very nice plugin. I haven't tried out all the levels with the edited spawn locations, but I love it so far.

Last edited by JackieChan; 12-18-2009 at 07:09.
    triggerman
    Old 12-18-2009 , 15:47   Re: [L4D2] Scavenge Remix
    Reply With Quote #9

can you implement the ability to change the number of cans that are required to finish and have the plugin spawn more so we can have like 50 can scavenge.
    dirka_dirka
    Veteran Member
    Old 12-18-2009 , 18:13   Re: [L4D2] Scavenge Remix
    Reply With Quote #10

i am unable to add or delete cans. first the commands show as addcan and delcan (not as you say addcans and delcans). i get these errors:
    Code:
    L 12/18/2009 - 18:08:42: [SM] Native "GetClientAbsOrigin" reported: Client index 0 is invalid
    L 12/18/2009 - 18:08:42: [SM] Displaying call stack trace for plugin "l4d2scav_remix.smx":
    L 12/18/2009 - 18:08:42: [SM]   [0]  Line 277, /home/groups/alliedmodders/forums/files/6/3/5/0/1/55435.attach::Command_AddCan()
    L 12/18/2009 - 18:09:02: [SM] Native "GetClientAimTarget" reported: Invalid client index 0