Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

L4D Plugin Disabler

Post New Thread Reply   

devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 10-23-2009 , 16:09   L4D Plugin Disabler
Reply With Quote #1

I'm considering writing a plugin that would provide a function say.. "bool:RunL4DMods()" that would do the following:

1) Check if any admins or users with access are on. If so, return true
2) Check if any users connected are in the server's steam group. If so, return true
3) Return false

This would ensure that players who are assigned to the server through matchmaking do not have to deal with various mods that they probably do not want, while still allowing players who like the mods or are associated with the server to enjoy the mods.

Would people be interested in something like this? If I can get the support of some plugin developers for L4D, and server admins willing to run this, I'd be willing to develop it.

Edit: I'd probably also execute config files when the state changes, such as "l4d_pluginsoff.cfg" "l4d_pluginson.cfg" to enable/disable legacy mods

Last edited by devicenull; 10-23-2009 at 16:12.
DarkNoghri
Old 10-26-2009 , 00:53   Re: L4D Plugin Disabler
Reply With Quote #2

This seems like a really good idea to me. If server admins used this, it would alleviate a lot of the things being complained about on the steam forums.

I can't actually see myself using this, as I keep my server search-keyed all the time.

Great idea, though.
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 10-26-2009 , 01:11   Re: L4D Plugin Disabler
Reply With Quote #3

After talking with some people it seems rather pointless. Most admins seem to think their plugins are amazing and should be run all the time.. so getting them to add this would not be easy.