Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Quake Sounds

Post New Thread Reply   

CrazyHamster
Old 02-08-2009 , 10:37   Need help on converting bit rate...
Reply With Quote #501

Hello everybody, I am hoping someone here has encountered the following issues, and can kindly help me.

1)
I tried to fix a .mp3 file with a different { bit rate / frequency / channels }, but nothing worked. The only way I could get that sound clip to work, was to convert it to .wav, but that made a ~60 KB file became ~1.5 MB. Even I zipped it down as .bz2, it's still about ~700 KB...

Anyone here knows if it is possible to convert the bit rate, or etc, of the .mp3, without convert it to .wav?

2)
Another thing. I have two SRCDS, one is my locate Linux box (as a sandbox), and the other one is from a hosting (as my main server). As for the files, and the plugin settings, they are both idential (I am absolutely sure on this), and they both are set up to use the same web server for fast downloading.

My issue is, I got a clip for greeting the players, which is the above sound clip. After setting up Quake Sounds from scratch, if I join the Windows server, that clip won't play. The log is showing some error message likes the following:

----------------------------------------------------------
Failed to load file (filename of the clip)... ...file probably missing from disk/repository.

But when I join my Linux box, the clip played fine. And if I went back to my Windows SRCDS after being on the Linux SRCDS, then the clip would play on my Windows SRCDS...

I did make sure that when I joined my Windows SRCDS, the clip was being downloaded correctly, from the fast download path.

3)
In the "quakesoundslist.cfg", does the '/' make any difference for a Linux SRCDS and Windows SRCDS?

For example:

admin_plugin/actions/joinserver.wav

vs

admin_plugin\actions\joinserver.wav

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-09-2009 , 01:42   I have figured out #2 & #3...
Reply With Quote #502

After spending the whole afternoon today (what a luxury...), I have partially figured out how to make it works.

[ First, for my question #3 in the above ]

The / and \ don't matter.

I guess that is a trivial discovery to many, but yeah, no one answered that question, and since things worked fine for my Linux SRCDS, I couldn't help but assuming it would cause some problems.

[ For my question #2 ]
I don't know about the server setup of the other people, but for my game server hosting, the hosting company is using Windows 2003 Server, and for my account, I have no access above the "tf/" folder. Therefore, I cannot access the "hl2/" folder, as naris or many others have suggested, about adding the exception rules in the "pure_server_whitelist.txt" in "hl2/".

Just before I was going to contact tech support, I used the "pure_server_whitelist.txt" from my Linux SRCDS, added:

--------------------------------------
sound/admin_plugin/... allow_from_disk
sound/quake/... allow_from_disk

and uploaded it to my Windows SRCDS. By doing that, I got my welcome clip in the "sound/admin_plugin/actions/" to work, yet "sound/quake/..." still didn't work.

Then I deleted everything, leaving just the following:

whitelist
{
sound/admin_plugin/... allow_from_disk
sound/quake/... allow_from_disk
}

and now everything is working.

Hope that could help the others.

P.S.
I am using naris' version. Many thanks to this good man.

p0lar_bear
Old 02-09-2009 , 17:27   Re: Need help on converting bit rate...
Reply With Quote #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHamster View Post
1) ...Anyone here knows if it is possible to convert the bit rate, or etc, of the .mp3, without convert it to .wav?
For future sound editing (like taking just a bit out of a longer sound file), get Audacity. Due to licensing issues with the MP3 compression format, you'll need to download LAME and drop lame_enc.dll into Audacity's folder somewhere (refer to Audacity's help files) to save your sounds as MP3s.

For batch conversion of bitrates and whatnot, try WinFF. Yes, it does sound files as well as video files; I was able to batch convert a bunch of WMA sound files I extracted from Halo 2 so I could use them with this plugin.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2009 , 06:16   Re: Quake Sounds
Reply With Quote #504

Hello all I really need help Im at a loss here...
Ive installed the plugin on my tf2 server and it works well kind of...
I noticed that I couldnt hear the sounds but if someone that had been to another server with the quake sounds they would trigger just fine for them not me

is there something that needs to happen... right now they download at each map change like they never make to the right folder or something .:weird:.

any and all help will be greatly appreciated
FredJed223
Old 02-15-2009 , 18:47   Re: Quake Sounds
Reply With Quote #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideKings View Post
Hello all I really need help Im at a loss here...
Ive installed the plugin on my tf2 server and it works well kind of...
I noticed that I couldnt hear the sounds but if someone that had been to another server with the quake sounds they would trigger just fine for them not me

is there something that needs to happen... right now they download at each map change like they never make to the right folder or something .:weird:.

any and all help will be greatly appreciated
If you are using sv_downloadurl then make sure the files are on your fast download server in the proper location.

If you are not using sv_downloadurl, then you have not placed the files in the proper location on the server.
CrazyHamster
Old 02-16-2009 , 21:33   Re: Need help on converting bit rate...
Reply With Quote #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0lar_bear, post #503
For future sound editing (like taking just a bit out of a longer sound file), get Audacity. Due to licensing issues with the MP3 compression format, you'll need to download LAME and drop lame_enc.dll into Audacity's folder somewhere (refer to Audacity's help files) to save your sounds as MP3s.

For batch conversion of bitrates and whatnot, try WinFF. Yes, it does sound files as well as video files; I was able to batch convert a bunch of WMA sound files I extracted from Halo 2 so I could use them with this plugin.

Hope this helps.
p0lar_bear,

Actually my question was regarding to this issue instead, but thanks for the help :

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Brawler, post #494
The bit rate for sounds in TF2 is different than other games. Get that annoying sound converter the kids are using to spam **** over the mics and use it to conver the files for your server.
Probably my own inability, most suggestions I found here, and on the net (such as steampowered.com), say to convert the sound file (of whatever format), to a .wav format, in order to be played in TF2. However, .wav format is just too big in size.

After a bit of trial and error, I got my .mp3 file to work.

---------------------------
Application to use:
dBpoweramp Music Converter

Properties of the .mp3 file:
Sample Rate: 44.1 KHz
Sample Size: 16 bit

Other properties (such as bitrate, channels, encoder settings, etc.), don't matter. At least for my case. For encoder, I used LAME though.

I got my original .wav file compressed, from 1.4 MB, to 99 KB, that is 94% compressed .

One thing though, the sound clip that I use for welcoming the player when he joins, when it was in .wav format, it played perfectly, but using the .mp3 one, the first sec or two are being laggy...
CrazyHamster
Old 02-16-2009 , 21:46   Re: Quake Sounds
Reply With Quote #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideKings;post #504
...but if someone that had been to another server with the quake sounds they would trigger just fine...
SuicideKings,

It seems like the same case as the one I had. Have you tried my method? (#502, which is two posts prior to yours)

As for troubleshooting, let's start with the easy step first.

1)
Go to your local TF2 installation folder:

\Steam\steamapps\\team fortress 2\tf\sound\

and delete all the sound files there.

2)
Start TF2, and join your own server, and see if the game is downloading the sound files, then check your local folder again, to see if the sound files have been downloaded OK.

3)
Did you compress the sound files? Like from sound1.mp3, to sound1.mp3.bz2? Or you make the file as sound1.bz2, and forgot the .mp3 part?

4)
Is it a Linux hosting, or Windows hosting?

Try the above first and let us know.
SuicideKings
Old 02-17-2009 , 12:30   Re: Quake Sounds
Reply With Quote #508

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies
Ive done everything suggest and the issue has been resolved thanks again
the sounds were not located on our fast download site but now are and working fine
thanks again
Roachy
Old 02-20-2009 , 03:49   Re: Quake Sounds
Reply With Quote #509

I'm having a problem with the latest version (1. not saving text preference settings for anyone. I saw someone posted about this issue and figured out the problem. Also the issue was supposedly fixed by someone, but I never saw anything else on the topic. Any ideas? Here's the posts I'm referring to, although they're from Dec. 2007:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodlvst View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by urus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by urus View Post
Bugreport.

In quakeusersettings.txt text preference saves as 1 even if I choose disable display text. Text don`t display during a game session, but if reconnect to server center messages show me again.

Code:
"QuakeUserSettings"
{
    "STEAM_0:0:xxxxxxxx"
    {
        "sound preference"        "0"
        "text preference"        "1"
        "timestamp"        "1196885767"
    }
}
Got it.
MenuHandlerQuake don`t saves text choice.
dalto has forgot add:
KvSetNum(kvQUS, "text preference", textPreference[param1]);
Will edit and recompile this when I get home for those who want it fixed.
Roachy
Old 02-20-2009 , 13:26   Re: Quake Sounds
Reply With Quote #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
I'm having a problem with the latest version (1. not saving text preference settings for anyone. I saw someone posted about this issue and figured out the problem. Also the issue was supposedly fixed by someone, but I never saw anything else on the topic. Any ideas? Here's the posts I'm referring to, although they're from Dec. 2007:
I recompiled my quakesounds.sp with the following edit to the MenuHandlerQuake function. I made an educated guess as to where the additional line Bloodlvst suggested should go, and now text preferences are saving properly.

Code:
//  This selects or disables the quake sounds
public MenuHandlerQuake(Handle:menu, MenuAction:action, param1, param2)
{
    if(action == MenuAction_Select)    {
        // The Disable Choice moves around based on if female sounds are enabled
        new disableChoice = numSets + 1;

// Update both the soundPreference array and User Settings KV
        if(param2 == disableChoice)
            soundPreference[param1] = 0;
        else if(param2 == 0)
            textPreference[param1] = Flip(textPreference[param1]);
        else
            soundPreference[param1] = param2;
        decl String:steamId[20];
        GetClientAuthString(param1, steamId, 20);
        KvRewind(kvQUS);
        KvJumpToKey(kvQUS, steamId);
        KvSetNum(kvQUS, "sound preference", soundPreference[param1]);

// Added the following line because text preferences are not being saved - Roachy
        KvSetNum(kvQUS, "text preference", textPreference[param1]);

MenuQuake(param1, 0);
    } else if(action == MenuAction_End)    {
        CloseHandle(menu);
    }
}
I've attached the edited .sp and .smx files, which should be used at your own risk. Although just editing it yourself and recompiling would be just as easy.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (quakesounds.sp - 781 views - 22.9 KB)
File Type: smx quakesounds.smx (12.0 KB, 291 views)