Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

UPDATE: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)

Post New Thread Reply   

Ginxeng
Old 05-02-2010 , 02:51   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha the Slag View Post
they could just make entities with the hat models be invisible ONLY, that way all mod stuff that doesn't involve fake hats wouldn't be broken
They shouldn't even be trying to break hat mods in the first place. This just shows you that valve are not as good as you think and simply rely on stupid stuff like hats to keep their games going because they know without us their games would be dead in 6 months or lesss. They are seriously getting annoying with trying to push hats into the game just to keep it "fresh". They need to stop milking the game with hats, people choosed not put up with their hat BS by using this mod and now they turn around and break it on purpose just to preserve their stuff to continue to piss off the community.

Last edited by Ginxeng; 05-02-2010 at 02:55.
Send a message via AIM to Ginxeng Send a message via MSN to Ginxeng Send a message via Skype™ to Ginxeng
Citrixlemon
Old 05-02-2010 , 03:01   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginxeng View Post
They shouldn't even be trying to break hat mods in the first place. This just shows you that valve are not as good as you think and simply rely on stupid stuff like hats to keep their games going because they know without us their games would be dead in 6 months or lesss. They are seriously getting annoying with trying to push hats into the game just to keep it "fresh". They need to stop milking the game with hats, people choosed not put up with their hat BS by using this mod and now they turn around and break it on purpose just to preserve their stuff to continue to piss off the community.
I think this is bigger than simply wanting to protect the integrity of hats for the benefit of keeping the game "fresh." Valve has a financial interest in this as well. After seeing the recent "Sam and Max" promotion and the less recent L4D promotion, Valve is undoubtedly considering how plugins like Equipment Manager will affect their bottom line. People who can use Equipment Manager will not be suckered into schemes to get them to "buy" hats.
Ginxeng
Old 05-02-2010 , 03:05   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #23

Good points, as much as I dont want to accept it. I'm sure paid content is around the corner and valve simply doesn't want people wearing content they didn't pay for.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-02-2010 , 03:47   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #24

I thought Valve was promoting community content, not discouraging it...
emuzombie
Old 05-02-2010 , 05:31   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #25

Before I say this, I want to make it clear, I am in full support of the modding community and disagree with Valve.

However, the reason why Valve has done this is not as apparent as you might believe. I give you my theory. Microtransactions to buy new weapons and hats.

I give you the evidence:

-New steam client supports microtransactions... Valve even mentions it to developers: http://www.steampowered.com/steamwor...ochure2010.pdf (see page 3)
Quote:
Microtransactions
Want to offer your customers a scabbard for their sword? New
tires? The latest in night vision goggles? Now you can through
microtransaction support in Steamworks. Your item server can now
be easily integrated with Steamworks so that Steam users can buy
and instantly use the items they want – all without leaving the game.
Steam handles all of the billing through the user’s Steam account.
-This image is also found on that page:

-Valve removes server admins' ability to allow players to wear hats they do not own.
-Valve removes server admins' ability to give player weapons they do not own.
-2 games have had TF2 item promos (pre-order the game get a hat) This could be considered a test of this microtransaction system within TF2.
-It's no secret there is little money flow left in TF2. It's almost 3 years old now.
-Trading is still nonexistent.
Old 05-02-2010 , 05:51   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuzombie View Post
Before I say this, I want to make it clear, I am in full support of the modding community and disagree with Valve.

However, the reason why Valve has done this is not as apparent as you might believe. I give you my theory. Microtransactions to buy new weapons and hats.

I give you the evidence:

-New steam client supports microtransactions... Valve even mentions it to developers: http://www.steampowered.com/steamwor...ochure2010.pdf (see page 3)

-This image is also found on that page:

-Valve removes server admins' ability to allow players to wear hats they do not own.
-Valve removes server admins' ability to give player weapons they do not own.
-2 games have had TF2 item promos (pre-order the game get a hat) This could be considered a test of this microtransaction system within TF2.
-It's no secret there is little money flow left in TF2. It's almost 3 years old now.
-Trading is still nonexistent.
That's primarily targeted towards other game companies. Valve is implementing it for TF2 though.

I'd be fine if they just protected the micro-transaction items, but the current changes block _everything_, and not just micro-transactions items.
Kireas
Old 05-02-2010 , 07:00   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #27

Forwarded this onto my entire community. That'll add a hundred odd signs.
Jindo
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-02-2010 , 07:40   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #28

I've signed this and I'm encouraging members of my community to sign it as well.
Old 05-02-2010 , 09:50   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #29

Crazy thing, i can't register on voogru forum due to my country but i can sign the petition. Amazing how we can adapt our views on something...
voogru
Inspector Javert
Old 05-02-2010 , 10:22   Re: Recent Valve change limits creativity for server mods. (Petition)
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubber View Post
Crazy thing, i can't register on voogru forum due to my country but i can sign the petition. Amazing how we can adapt our views on something...
This is an anti-spam measure, if you wish to register pm me a username and an email address and ill make an account for you.