Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Missing map disconnecting Host_Error: Map is missing

Post New Thread Reply   

enderandrew
Old 06-20-2020 , 21:00   Missing map disconnecting Host_Error: Map is missing
Reply With Quote #1

So I'm finding several topics on this error, but not quite address my question.

I assumed (perhaps foolishly) that the Dedicated Server can send the map to the client just like it can upload models, sounds, materials, etc.

In game I have it set to allow any custom content and maps download if I connect to other servers.

I have all my maps in /tf/maps on the dedicated server. I even have compressed .bz2 versions there.

I've got sv_pure 0 in my startup command and these setting in server.cfg

Quote:
sv_allowupload 1 // Allow clients to upload customizations files
sv_allowdownload 1 // Allow clients to download files
net_maxfilesize 128
In reading about fastdl, I assumed a web server is optional to provide faster downloads. But since this still won't transfer a map to the client I'm wonder if a web server is truly required.

Someone asked me as a favor to put together a TF2 server temporarily for them to host a tournament for a youth group (though with the time I'm putting in configuring it and putting it together I may leave it up long term).

I'm just running the server from my desktop locally with port forwarding and DynDNS. The server is seen by Steam, is in the Server Browser in TF2 and I can connect and download other assets, just not maps.

So I spent a day setting up a free webserver only to discover after I configured Sql DBs and everything that the hosting company deletes any file over 10 MB, so it doesn't really work for hosting the maps.

1. Is a web server absolutely required for custom maps?
2. If it isn't, what am I doing wrong that maps won't download?
3. Are there plugins to host them in a cloud storage provider?
4. Is there a public folder that has popular community maps I can compare to the ones I'm trying to use?

Last edited by enderandrew; 06-20-2020 at 21:00.
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 06-21-2020 , 08:49   Re: Missing map disconnecting Host_Error: Map is missing
Reply With Quote #2

The .bz2 part works only for fastdownload so you can remove those files from your dedicated servers map folder.
Have you tried a different map with smaller file size?
enderandrew
Old 06-21-2020 , 19:53   Re: Missing map disconnecting Host_Error: Map is missing
Reply With Quote #3

So I turned off the sv_downloadurl setting to see if I can transfer a map directly from srcds to the client. I picked a small map that is only 7 MB. It still wouldn't transfer.

If I do use a webserver for the sv_downloadurl, then I can download a map, even a large map.

The problem is that I tried one free web server and it deleted all the maps after I uploaded them because they assume any file over 20 MB is for piracy. Then I found a second free web host that said they had no file size limits, but they did and they deleted most of my maps as well.

Then I broke down and paid for a professional web hosting account for a year up front that said they didn't have file size limits, and maps keep disappearing from the folder but not all of them. So that host may be deleting files they assume are linked to piracy as well. I don't know, but I just paid for a year of hosting and I still can't host my maps files.

Code:
Missing map maps/pl_badwater_pro_v12.bsp,  disconnecting

Host_Error: Map is missing
So is a web server absolutely required or is srcds supposed to be able to transfer a map file?

Are their plugins that can allow me to host the maps in some sort of cloud storage? Reading it seems like Dropbox used to be an option years ago, but isn't these days.

What are my other options?

I was just asked to set up a fun server for a one-time tournament but I'm thinking I'd like to maybe even leave it up long term for people to use and have fun, but I'm struggling with trying to host custom maps.

Here is my server.cfg (with passwords removed obviously)

https://pastebin.com/B2sNKtyN

Last edited by enderandrew; 06-21-2020 at 20:38. Reason: adding server.cfg
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 06-22-2020 , 09:06   Re: Missing map disconnecting Host_Error: Map is missing
Reply With Quote #4

I believe the cvar net_maxfilesize default value is 16 and the max is 64 so you should be able to download the map with no problems aside from the pretty slow 40kB/s download speed you are getting when download directly from the game server.

Anyways to get your fastdownload working you need to point to the directory of the game/mod rather than the map folder.

Code:
sv_downloadurl "http://enderandrew.com/tf/"

Last edited by TomL.; 06-22-2020 at 09:07.
enderandrew
Old 06-25-2020 , 16:45   Re: Missing map disconnecting Host_Error: Map is missing
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL. View Post
I believe the cvar net_maxfilesize default value is 16 and the max is 64 so you should be able to download the map with no problems aside from the pretty slow 40kB/s download speed you are getting when download directly from the game server.

Anyways to get your fastdownload working you need to point to the directory of the game/mod rather than the map folder.

Code:
sv_downloadurl "http://enderandrew.com/tf/"
Thanks, that helped!

Now I can download a map when I connect, except it literally took like 20 minutes to download a 50 MB map, so my paid webserver either really sucks or something isn't working as intended. If I browse to the webpage and download the map through Chrome it downloads in 1 minute.
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 06-25-2020 , 17:04   Re: Missing map disconnecting Host_Error: Map is missing
Reply With Quote #6

Can you send me the connect details via PM?