Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Variable timing sys_ticrate

Post New Thread Reply   

DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2020 , 14:32   Re: Variable timing sys_ticrate
Reply With Quote #11

That is a good point. Do not use sys_ticrate in the server 'launch' command line. Otherwise sys_ticrate does not validate when typing stats after changes. The version blending is due to the broad spectrum of AMXX versions it supports. You are right once again it needs to be pinned down to something less timeless. That was something I intended to do yesterday.
Old 04-12-2020 , 23:26   Re: Variable timing sys_ticrate
Reply With Quote #12

Minor update from something OciXCrom taught me. What I would love to see on thread is posts showing how high admins can get their server's FPS please. Then maybe how low it can be set to 'sleep' without deterring new players. I posted an example on OP. The time was PINGBOOST worked better on INTEL just like how it only works on Linux. Is that still the case nowadays?
Old 06-25-2020 , 01:02   Re: Variable timing sys_ticrate
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake View Post

This systematically puts the server to sleep or incrementally steps the tic per player. Servers advertising 10K tic waste CPU on 0 players.

Notes.
Do not put sys_ticrate in command line start up otherwise HLDS is stuck at that rate!!

Most servers cannot produce over 1000 tic. Setting very low sleep tic is effective at trade-off of very high ping on the server list. That may detract new players. Once somebody joins or a responsible sleep parameter is used it is a non-issue.

Only Linux servers with pingboost can get numbers that high from my understanding on reads online about the topic.
-pingboost <1/2/3> - Selects between optimized HLDS network code stack. Set this on 2 usually reduces latency toward 1ms without loss of activity input packets.

Feel free to modify how you like or give advice.

sys_timing 0|1 disables|enables plugin. Recommended: keep a base sys_tic in mapchangecfgfile.
sys_sleep Tic hibernation rate. The tic when there are 0 players.
sys_quota Tic rate quota. The tic added per connected player.

Model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz. @10,000 beyond core limit.

Working example.

Sleep.

Checksum b239ab7ddf687808567bc584329901c1 sys_timing.sma
Code:
CPU In Out Uptime Users FPS Players
59.75 0.00 0.00 0 0 7425.17 0

It consumes 59.75 cpu
????

Last edited by alferd; 06-25-2020 at 01:03.
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 06-25-2020 , 09:44   Re: Variable timing sys_ticrate
Reply With Quote #14

@alferd. That's just 1 core out of 4. The Intel i3 is an obsolete processor. That test was not on enterprise grade hardware. My point was to show what you just saw and to educate people running a 10,000 tic with 0 players is moronic. This plugin helps admins explore and escape that mindset as well as offer hibernate. When that same server had 0 players it the CPU was 1%.
Old 06-25-2020 , 11:02   Re: Variable timing sys_ticrate
Reply With Quote #15

@DJ
The Intel i3 is definitely not obsolete, however this exact model is but it can actually be really good if you overclock it (I've had one clocked @ 4.1, can be pushed even more). It doesn't have 4 cores but 2 (and hyper-threading = 4 threads) though.
alferd
Veteran Member
Old 06-25-2020 , 11:17   Re: Variable timing sys_ticrate
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake View Post
@alferd. That's just 1 core out of 4. The Intel i3 is an obsolete processor. That test was not on enterprise grade hardware. My point was to show what you just saw and to educate people running a 10,000 tic with 0 players is moronic. This plugin helps admins explore and escape that mindset as well as offer hibernate. When that same server had 0 players it the CPU was 1%.
I mean, this plugin has nothing to do with cpu usage?
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 06-26-2020 , 08:46   Re: Variable timing sys_ticrate
Reply With Quote #17

@thEsp that explains a lot.
@alferd https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5386-HMJI-5162

Quote:
There are two good reasons for you to manage the server FPS. The number one reason is loading on your Server CPU. The higher the FPS the higher the load. If you are getting more than 50% CPU utilization with your current FPS settings, you are either running too many players or you have the FPS set too high.
This plugin allows admins to find the sweet spot without shutting down and restarting server.
Old 01-11-2021 , 06:08   Re: Variable timing sys_ticrate
Reply With Quote #18

Update your version promptly if you use Amxx182 with bots please. When testing CZ with bots I noticed stability issues that needed addressed immediately.