Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Signature Scanning and OrangeBox Valve

Post New Thread Reply   

LordMarqus
Old 09-28-2011 , 10:29   Signature Scanning and OrangeBox Valve
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

I would like to find a signature for a function (Windows) and thus I started to read this article: http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Signature_Scanning . Target game is TF2.

Unfortunately I'm stuck here: "First what you need to do is compile the HL2M server module. So navigate your way to the "hl2src/dlls" directory and open up "hl_sdk.vcproj". Once open inside MSVC++, go to the Build menu and select Configuration Manager. ".

I'm using this SDK: http://hg.alliedmods.net/hl2sdks/hl2sdk-ob-valve/

First of all there is no hl_sdk.vcproj . So, I'm trying to compile Server (HL2MP) from Game_HL2MP-2005.sln (first converting the project for VC2010). And I get errors like:

Code:
Error	2	error C2259: 'CServerGameDLL' : cannot instantiate abstract class	d:\dokumenty\serverupdate\sourcemod-dev\hl2sdk-ob-valve\game\server\triggers.cpp	51	1	Server (HL2MP)
Error	3	error C2259: 'CServerGameDLL' : cannot instantiate abstract class	d:\dokumenty\serverupdate\sourcemod-dev\hl2sdk-ob-valve\game\server\player.cpp	99	1	Server (HL2MP)
Error	4	error C2259: 'CServerGameDLL' : cannot instantiate abstract class	d:\dokumenty\serverupdate\sourcemod-dev\hl2sdk-ob-valve\game\server\logicentities.cpp	22	1	Server (HL2MP)
Error	5	error C2259: 'CServerGameDLL' : cannot instantiate abstract class	d:\dokumenty\serverupdate\sourcemod-dev\hl2sdk-ob-valve\game\server\gameinterface.cpp	503	1	Server (HL2MP)
Error	6	error C2259: 'CServerGameClients' : cannot instantiate abstract class	d:\dokumenty\serverupdate\sourcemod-dev\hl2sdk-ob-valve\game\server\gameinterface.cpp	2275	1	Server (HL2MP)
Error	7	error C2259: 'CServerGameDLL' : cannot instantiate abstract class	d:\dokumenty\serverupdate\sourcemod-dev\hl2sdk-ob-valve\game\server\ai_playerally.cpp	19	1	Server (HL2MP)
Does this article is still up-to-date? I guess I need some help. Thanx in advance.
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-28-2011 , 23:49   Re: Signature Scanning and OrangeBox Valve
Reply With Quote #2

The article is very out-of-date, you dont need to compile the SDK. You should use IDA to decompile the binary in question. The Windows binaries dont have symbols but linux ones generally do so you should decompile both, find what you want in the linux binaries, then try and find it in the windows binaries using references to strings and virtual funcs.

Sorry I cant give more detail right now
LordMarqus
Old 09-29-2011 , 06:42   Re: Signature Scanning and OrangeBox Valve
Reply With Quote #3

Thank you very much for the info. I would really love some example.
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-29-2011 , 08:59   Re: Signature Scanning and OrangeBox Valve
Reply With Quote #4

Read over this thread. It contains lots of advice related to finding sigs.
Old 10-03-2011 , 10:51   Re: Signature Scanning and OrangeBox Valve
Reply With Quote #5

Oh my... You have just revealed my secret plan of destroying the world... Joking .
Seriously, I found that function in asherkin's Connect extension (thanx). And that was the last function I was playing with recently.

What about this one:
Code:
"ConnectClient"
{
	"library"	"engine"
	"windows"	"\x81\xEC\x2A\x2A\x2A\x2A\x56\x68\x2A\x2A\x2A\x2A\x8B\xF1\xFF\x2A\x2A\x2A\x2A\x2A\x8B"
	"linux"		"@_ZN11CBaseServer13ConnectClientER8netadr_siiiiPKcS3_S3_i"
}
Doesn't seem to be very abusive.