Random Server Freeze

Post New Thread Reply   

zeroibis
Veteran Member
Old 08-15-2010 , 15:52   Re: Random Server Freeze
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle12 View Post
It could be a command causing this, that would make more sense actually... or maybe a denial of service attack? I've heard stories about servers getting flooded with queries then freezing, maxing out the CPU.

I tried Afronanny's revision of Recon0's Query cache, however it says I'm running a third party addon when trying to join. It's a great concept, though. I'll hack it down when I have some time and see if I can absolve myself from some of it's added quirks.
Are you running this on top of the DOS attack fix or in place of? What is strange though is that if I look at the actual srcds box the fps is always all the way up and nothing appears out of place in the actual srcds dos box.

I have tried to bind my srcds servers to individual cores to see if that does anything.

Also one thing we could try as a temp solution is some sort of bat file that checks the server to see if it is actually alive and if not restarts the process. If someone could code this then it would not matter as if they do manage to freeze it the server just restarts. The real problem with what ever is going on is the fact that it can keep the server down for hours until us server owners see something is wrong.

Last edited by zeroibis; 08-15-2010 at 15:54.
NouveauJoueur
SourceMod Donor
Old 08-16-2010 , 10:07   Re: Random Server Freeze
Reply With Quote #22

I think it would be hard to check if server is alive the way you want it.
All my server are under linux, and I searched a way to check if the CS:S server was still alive, but srcds is still running when the server freeze like that.

I had the same issue with random freeze on my ZM server and Deathrun server, the server was crashing sometimes on begin of a map, on the end, on the middle of the map, when a player kill someone else, on round end, on round start ....

After a small investigation, I figured out that it was the map the real problem, even if if those map could run with no crashes (what made le think it wasn't a map related problem at first). Test the maps where it freezes, and even if they pass the first test (like 30 min of gaming) test it again later to see if it's crashing or not.

Deleting map fixed those crash, took me 2 days from the first crash to figure out what was wrong meanwhile player was getting kicked out of servers cause of those freezes .....

P.S : I had no problem with those maps before OB.
Old 08-16-2010 , 14:40   Re: Random Server Freeze
Reply With Quote #23

I will look into the maps however I have had this problem even on pub servers with stock maps. Regardless I will now record the map every time to determine if that is the cause.
Old 08-16-2010 , 15:13   Re: Random Server Freeze
Reply With Quote #24

This random freeze has existed on the OB engine for quite sometime guys.

The srcds basically freezes and everyone loses connection and the srcds just hangs there with no memory error and you have to manually restart it etc. You dont even get a mdmp on windows machines.

On some TF2 Servers, it can sometimes be quite rare and on others it can occur quite often and some Servers are not effected at all. It can sometimes even go through phases where you get a few for a couple of weeks and then it goes fine again and you dont get any for quite a while. Makes no difference even if the Server is vanilla.

I have never been able to find a cause or fix and i am fairly certain that it is valve related. It may even have something to do with the Steam Servers and the way they communicate with the Server but again that is just a guess.

- Lob (UK)
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 08-16-2010 , 15:31   Re: Random Server Freeze
Reply With Quote #25

I had to switch to Server Checker to restart my server, because it was the only program that actually queried the server every few seconds to make sure it was still responsive.

Although this is for Windows, it shouldn't be too difficult to duplicate this functionality on linux.

Last edited by GoD-Tony; 08-17-2010 at 04:32. Reason: Changed URL to link directly to the post.
zeroibis
Veteran Member
Old 08-16-2010 , 18:40   Re: Random Server Freeze
Reply With Quote #26

Is the thread where I dl it b/c I see that there should be an attachment according to the main menu but when I view I do not see anything. Do I need to be logged in?

http://www.dumbclan.co.uk/forum/inde...showtopic=9039

Edit, NVM apparently 4.0 is in development here is a link for the actual thread for dl for those interested:
http://www.dumbclan.co.uk/forum/inde...showtopic=5784
Old 08-16-2010 , 19:07   Re: Random Server Freeze
Reply With Quote #27

Yes, v3.03 is the release I recommend using.
nadrojcote
Old 08-17-2010 , 10:51   Re: Random Server Freeze
Reply With Quote #28

I am having this issue on my servers too since the ob update, it seems to happen the most on my gg elimination server at about 3-4 times a day, my gg dm server does it once every couple days.
zeroibis
Veteran Member
Old 08-18-2010 , 01:26   Re: Random Server Freeze
Reply With Quote #29

Yes, I have proven that maps is what does it. The issue can be recreated by playing zm_salon_moon

My server froze when it was on that map so I restarted. It then reloaded the map and after a few min froze again. It did this every time the map was played after a few min. Removing the map fixed the problem.

So it looks like the key is for us to identify what maps freeze the server and make a list so everyone knows not to use them.
Old 08-18-2010 , 07:19   Re: Random Server Freeze
Reply With Quote #30

Maps may cause it on some Servers but not all and it is certainly not the main or only cause of the srcds freeze that has been occurring on the OB for the past year or so.

For instance My TF2 Server is 24/7 2fort (valve map) and it has had the random srcds freeze for about a year now. It doesnt do it very often but still does freeze from time to time and its nothing to do with the map.

- Lob (UK)