Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Why you're banning old syntax? Backwards compatibility is very important!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
fragnichtnach
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-11-2020 , 12:19   Why you're banning old syntax? Backwards compatibility is very important!
Reply With Quote #1

I don't know why you are doing this. I appreciate your effort in developing sourcemod. But you keep banning a lot of old syntax which is causing problems for a lot of coders.

Why is this required?

Quote:
We would like to give our users a more modern language. Pawn is showing its age; manual memory management, buffers, tags, and lack of object-oriented API are very frustrating. We can't solve everything all at once, but we can begin to take steps in the right direction.
For example: Why the HELL are you planning to remove Array-based enum structs in 1.11. This is used in mostly all bigger plugins. When you want a massive change in enum, bring out enum2 and don't destroy 100 million lines of code using the previous enum.
Or this one: functag Why has this been removed? There is no reason for this besides there is another way to do it.

Backwards compatibility is MODERN! To destroy old code for getting a language which some great coders consider a "modern language" is the worst thing you could do to me.