Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

About selling plugins

Post New Thread Reply   

eyal282
Veteran Member
Old 05-31-2018 , 14:28   About selling plugins
Reply With Quote #1

I once needed to translate a plugin from AmxModX to Sourcemod, is it allowed to sell the plugin or it's copyrighted? This obviously means the code itself is 100% different from the original, not a single block of code is identical.

Discord: Eyal282#1334

Last edited by eyal282; 05-31-2018 at 14:30.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 05-31-2018 , 14:44   Re: About selling plugins
Reply With Quote #2

I mean if you coded it and as long as you give the source code along with the plugin to the user, i don't think anybody will have any issues with you selling it. Just a reminder though we don't really like advertisers on the forum, if you plan on trying to sell it here.
eyal282
Veteran Member
Old 05-31-2018 , 14:48   Re: About selling plugins
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
I mean if you coded it and as long as you give the source code along with the plugin to the user, i don't think anybody will have any issues with you selling it. Just a reminder though we don't really like advertisers on the forum, if you plan on trying to sell it here.
Nope.

Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 05-31-2018 , 15:29   Re: About selling plugins
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyal282 View Post
is it allowed to sell the plugin or it's copyrighted
That's not an either/or question. Everything not in the public domain is "copyrighted." but that by itself doesn't determine whether you can 'copy' (i.e. distribute) it or not.

The answer is you're allowed to do anything the license allows you to do. You can't do anything the license says you can't do. The GPL says you can redistribute derivative works as long as they're also licensed under the GPL. If you distribute binaries, you also have to provide source. You can't add further restrictions on top of the GPL. The GPL isn't that long, so read it yourself.

If you want to sell plugins, that's fine, because you're allowed to redistribute the source. You can't legally bind people to not then give away the plugin themselves, since they can also redistribute it as per the GPL.
eyal282
Veteran Member
Old 05-31-2018 , 15:39   Re: About selling plugins
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyren View Post
That's not an either/or question. Everything not in the public domain is "copyrighted." but that by itself doesn't determine whether you can 'copy' (i.e. distribute) it or not.

The answer is you're allowed to do anything the license allows you to do. You can't do anything the license says you can't do. The GPL says you can redistribute derivative works as long as they're also licensed under the GPL. If you distribute binaries, you also have to provide source. You can't add further restrictions on top of the GPL. The GPL isn't that long, so read it yourself.

If you want to sell plugins, that's fine, because you're allowed to redistribute the source. You can't legally bind people to not then give away the plugin themselves, since they can also redistribute it as per the GPL.
I never understood these licenses and never used them. I translated Gun-XP and Gas Nades into SourceMod CS:GO, can you peek a look into them and tell me if I can on one of them?

Fyren
FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren FyrenFyrenFyrenFyrenFyren
Old 05-31-2018 , 16:11   Re: About selling plugins
Reply With Quote #6

You're using them whether you think you are or not. SM plugins are GPL licensed. As far as I know, so are AMXX.
eyal282
Veteran Member
Old 05-31-2018 , 16:57   Re: About selling plugins
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyren View Post
You're using them whether you think you are or not. SM plugins are GPL licensed. As far as I know, so are AMXX.
So can I sell plugins I translate from amxx to SM?

ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 05-31-2018 , 17:06   Re: About selling plugins
Reply With Quote #8

https://www.sourcemod.net/license.php

Yes, but you are required to also give the customer the source, and you have no way to stop the customer from giving out the plugin to others.

All plugins are GPL licensed, whether you want them to be or not.

https://www.sourcemod.net/license.php

Last edited by ddhoward; 05-31-2018 at 17:10.