Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Downtime Over

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Leonardo
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2011 , 16:02   Re: Downtime Over

don't forget how much does hosting, each domain costs.

Last edited by Leonardo; 01-24-2011 at 16:05.
joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2011 , 16:12   Re: Downtime Over

I hope David don't respond to this last post because it will be completely useless and wasting time.
Old 01-24-2011 , 16:14   Re: Downtime Over

I donated 5€, not much but I hope it will help. I can't afford much more right now but I hope that I can regularly contribute from now on.

Keep up the good work.
SourceMod Donor
Old 01-24-2011 , 16:15   Re: Downtime Over

@FaTony

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

You act like AM is a public company and you are the Chairman of the Board. Why do you feel that Bail or anyone else for that matter owes YOU an explanation beyond the one given? If Bail chooses to pay some costs out of pocket who are you to say thats not ok?

There are hundreds of Developers here at AM who provide their works for free and ask for donations in return. Are you expecting them to show you where that money goes? If it were not for Bail and those developers there would be no SourceMod to begin with. Would you step up and spend your own time and money to develop it? If you requested donations for that time and effort would you provide anyone who asked a detailed ledger detailing where those monies were spent?

I would think your time would be better spent continuing development on the free product you provide the community while spending the money DONATED (Not Demanded) keeping your project alive.

At this point it seems like your only intention here is to cause drama and it's pointless.
Send a message via AIM to jsterling
FaTony
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2011 , 16:21   Re: Downtime Over

No. I don't want to cause drama. Feel free not to respond to me. I just think it's impossible to make a piece of shit into a gold without fundamental changes. I'm just tired of 500 errors and wanted to provide a solution. I'm still waiting for a proof that my solution sucks.
Old 01-24-2011 , 16:28   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTony View Post
No. I don't want to cause drama. Feel free not to respond to me. I just think it's impossible to make a piece of shit into a gold without fundamental changes. I'm just tired of 500 errors and wanted to provide a solution. I'm still waiting for a proof that my solution sucks.
He already answered your question... Do you know anything about running high-load web servers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
What we need right now is to quickly rebuild our reserve cash pool so we can fix our infrastructure. We also need advice people who are very knowledgeable about running high-load webservers, because I don't know anything

If you have either of these things, I'm all ears right now.
On that note. Bail could you give us a quick run down of your current server spec?
Send a message via AIM to jsterling
FaTony
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2011 , 16:31   Re: Downtime Over

No he didn't.

As for now, they've gained over 1700$ that should provide some assistance. As for the high-load servers, well, google should help. Also, I've heard that lighttpd was developed especially for high-load servers and MSSQL is more optimized than MySQL. Lineage 2 server I've been working with (which is designed to hold 5000 players at once in one real time world) was designed to be MSSQL-only.

Last edited by FaTony; 01-24-2011 at 16:43.
BAILOPAN
Old 01-24-2011 , 16:42   Re: Downtime Over

jsterling: Thanks for your replies. The server is a single quad-core Xeon (E5430) with 4GB of RAM. The problem with 500 errors isn't a spec problem, I think. We really have no idea how they happen. We tried debugging them last year and got nowhere.

Part of the problem is we've been relying on mod_fcgid which is really, really buggy. Some versions are totally unusuable, and we've had to hand-patch it in the past, or use specific revisions in between "stable" releases. The error messages it spews might as well be in Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Another part of the problem is that no one seems to really know how any of this works. There are tons of tutorials that have cargo-culted mod_fcgid/PHP settings with no explanation or real understanding of what they do. You can scour the Internet and find tons of people getting the same mod_fcgid problems as us, but every lead is a dead end - these threads always go unanswered, or end up being unrelated.

We're at the point where we're starting to get some useful data. Fyren is adding debug instrumentation to mod_fcgid so we can see why PHP processes are failing, and I've started to notice some new patterns in load when errors start occurring. Part of our infrastructure changes could involve putting MySQL on a separate server, in case the problem is actually load.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 01-24-2011 at 16:44.
Chrisber
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-24-2011 , 17:14   Re: Downtime Over

Don't know if it helps, but currently I've got much and much free resources on my dedicated server. Maybe there's a possibility to connect the resources? If no, I'd understand because this might be a big security risk.

Chris
sinblaster
Grim Reaper
Old 01-24-2011 , 17:32   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
You have admitted you've been lying for a long time. My trust has greatly shaken in you.
mmmwwwwhahahahahahaha

Quote:
You have admitted you've been lying for a long time. My trust has greatly shaken in you.

Name us the exact amount you need to pay down to a single cent. Domain registration, dedicated server hosting... monthly, annually, etc, etc, etc.

Of course, the detailed statistics on how much donations were received each month and how much you have paid from your pocket would be great too.
That would be none of your business as a matter of FACT.

Seriously tony I don't get your grievance. If you don't want to donate don't donate. Who cares what they do with it, as far as I am concerned they can buy hookers with it.
I donate because without this place I wouldn't have a server that gets $100 donations on average (PER PERSON) so I give some back. I also pay plugin writers up to $300 per plug depending on the plug because again, it makes my server.
WTF with the conspiracy? You are comming accross as a bit of a tosser. I bet in all your life you have never dedicated yourself to anything this big before or anything UNCONDITIONALLY that serves a purpose to something other than yourself.

Apart from bail starting, maintaining and working on alliedmodders, you have thankless mods and approvers that also give their time and head space unconditionally and writers that create free of charge.
You're very rude in my opinion for saying the things you have been saying and obviously don't have any idea of the financial, mental or physical cost of running open source projects and maintaining them to please a very large community that relies on this place and its people everyday.

re-create yourself with a better outlook Tony

Last edited by sinblaster; 01-24-2011 at 17:35.
Closed Thread