Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Updater

Post New Thread Reply   

Impact123
Veteran Member
Old 02-19-2016 , 13:39   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #541

Plugins have to actively register themselves with updater as described here. Not all plugins do this.
Old 02-19-2016 , 13:39   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #542

Are you sure that all of those plugins use Updater? I can tell you right now that none of the plugins that ship with SourceMod itself do this.

You only have 4 other plugins installed (that were listed):

07 "Connect Announce" (1.6) by Arg!
13 "CS:GO Multi1v1: online stats viewer" (1.1.3) by splewis
16 "cURL self test" (1.1.0.0) by Raydan
26 "Updater" (1.2.2) by GoD-Tony

Unless these plugins have been coded to use Updater, they will not use Updater.

Last edited by ddhoward; 02-19-2016 at 13:41.
stickz
Old 03-06-2016 , 09:44   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #543

Can the version string handle any number such as Unix timestamp? Just wondering because an auto-build and deployment script is currently be constructed on my GitHub repository and this is the easiest way to generate a unique string without the overly complicating process.

Last edited by stickz; 03-06-2016 at 09:46.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 03-06-2016 , 10:12   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz View Post
Can the version string handle any number such as Unix timestamp? Just wondering because an auto-build and deployment script is currently be constructed on my GitHub repository and this is the easiest way to generate a unique string without the overly complicating process.
Yes, the version string is literally just checking that "newString" != "currentString". It can be any value.
Old 03-18-2016 , 15:56   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #545

Hello. I'm afraid I need assistance with this plugin.

I've started using Updater plugin not so long ago and so far it has been working well. Less than 24 hours ago I witnessed one of our servers correctly download the update that I published. However, very recently it just... stopped working. The servers no longer auto-update my plugin. And I can't for the life of me figure out why exactly.

So I chose the Socket plugin for our servers (cURL caused problems on windows). I compiled the debug version of Updater plugin and this is what I see in the server console:
Code:
L 03/18/2016 - 20:09:39: Download started:
L 03/18/2016 - 20:09:39:   [0]  URL: http://85.214.72.227/ins/updatefile.txt
L 03/18/2016 - 20:09:39:   [1]  Destination: addons/sourcemod/data/updater.txt
And that's it. No errors, no success status (yes/no), nothing. The data/updater.txt file appears, but it is 0 bytes large. You can take a look at my updatefile by visiting that URL.

Any ideas? I can't think of anything else myself (other than moving to SteamWorks or something). Neither linux nor windows servers across different machines are donwloading the updates anymore. Anyway, thanks in advance.

EDIT: after performing further tests it appears that neither cURL nor Socket (untested with others) can even establish the connection to start downloading any files anymore. We're running four servers, each on completely different machines and setups (using both windows and linux), and none of them can now download anything from either of two update servers that I have set up. So in short, since yesterday absolutely nothing works. It is clear that the Updater plugin itself most likely has nothing to do with it, as I have tried using cURL (using a server that successfully was downloading updates through cURL before) directly to download a test file and ran into the same issues (the downloading never even starts).

How can things possibly break like this on four different machines and two OS'es at the same time, provided there was no srcds update or (as I assume) any Updater updates? I honestly have no idea what to do next.

Last edited by Sr69MmjC; 03-19-2016 at 06:26.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 03-19-2016 , 10:05   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr69MmjC View Post
Hello. I'm afraid I need assistance with this plugin.
Is it possible that your older version has odd code that might be preventing an update? I noticed a few "plugin reloads" were commented out.

I took the latest version of your plugin, changed the version string to "1.0.0" and it updated itself using your webserver just fine. (Socket ext with Windows)
Old 03-19-2016 , 11:07   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
Is it possible that your older version has odd code that might be preventing an update?
Given the quality of the code, the honest answer is yes, it's possible. However,

Quote:
I noticed a few "plugin reloads" were commented out.
they always were. It was just an early (and desperate) test, no such dangerous/odd things are uncommented on any of our servers right now.

Quote:
I took the latest version of your plugin, changed the version string to "1.0.0" and it updated itself using your webserver just fine. (Socket ext with Windows)
Which is what I've been doing for the whole day as well. What I did just now is removed /addons folder from one of our linux servers completely and downloaded and extracted metamod & sourcemod anew, along with Socket extension and the Updater. Also made sure that all folders have write access. Then, I made this simple plugin, but recompiled it as "1.0.0" on that server. Nope, it still won't download it. The data/updater.txt file remains being 0 bytes large, and both files are never touched. I then tried starting the 1.0.0 version of this plugin on another server (which is also running linux but located in another country) and had the exact same results.

We've been looking at strace/tcpdump with a friend of mine, he says the tcp connection gets established but immediately closed afterwards - no actual data is sent. I don't know what to make of it. I could try SteamWorks next, but considering that both cURL and Socket worked before and neither does now, I'm not sure it's even worth trying. But to be honest I have no clue what to do next. If this was a problem on just one server I'd reinstall already, but this is being persisent across four different machines, all the way from Russia to US. I guess I'm gonna have to try doing a clean reinstall of one of the servers...

Last edited by Sr69MmjC; 03-19-2016 at 11:14.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 03-20-2016 , 03:09   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr69MmjC View Post
I could try SteamWorks next, but considering that both cURL and Socket worked before and neither does now, I'm not sure it's even worth trying. I guess I'm gonna have to try doing a clean reinstall of one of the servers...
I'd definitely give the SteamWorks ext a try before going further.
Old 04-08-2016 , 19:58   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #549

i have been using update since it came out, it works great and saves lots of time on the 10 or so servers i still have running

but after the last update im having an issue with 4 of my 75 or so plugins on the one server, and this plugin is one of them.
if i remove updater (and the others; backpack-tf, free_duels, pinion_adverts) everything goes back to working fine.

when installed either with or without the other 3 plugins the server throws hundreds of errors, like this:
..\common\pipes.cpp (528 ) : Assertion Failed etc (see attached).https://forums.alliedmods.net/attach...1&d=1460159279

not saying its the updater plugin since its working in all my other servers, but i have no clue what it is, since if i add updater i get the assertion failed, and removing it fixes the issue. same with the others 3 plugins detailed above, but i figure you know this stuff better than they do...

this just started happening with the last update on Windows TF2. Also this server has about 3x more plugins than the others, so i thought there might be an interaction. but if i ONLY install updater it still fails, so i dont know where to start.

one more thing; i have 3 servers running off this same install, using separate sourcemod directories, so it isnt a steam corruption issue or it would be across the others as well.

thanks for any guidance here,

mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	errors.PNG
Views:	390
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	153557  
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 04-08-2016 , 22:06   Re: Updater
Reply With Quote #550

Update SteamTools?

https://www.google.com/search?q=asse...alliedmods.net

Last edited by ddhoward; 04-08-2016 at 22:08.