Raised This Month: $140 Target: $400
 35% 

Why trash Steamid Replacer?


Post New Thread Closed Thread   
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Scone
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: England
Old 05-01-2010 , 09:24   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?
#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
Yes, I do understand the issue. Did you read my post?
I did read your post - seeing as the problem is that the flaw could be (and likely is) abused, it seems a bit odd to say "if it's not abused, nothing will go wrong". It takes just one person abusing it to cause a problem.
__________________
Scone is offline
Bugsy
AMX Mod X Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NJ, USA
Old 05-01-2010 , 09:48   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?
#52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scone View Post
I did read your post - seeing as the problem is that the flaw could be (and likely is) abused, it seems a bit odd to say "if it's not abused, nothing will go wrong". It takes just one person abusing it to cause a problem.
Well then my statement is still valid; if it is not abused then all is well. I never said people will not abuse this, I was basically saying in a perfect world this steamid replacement is harmless if used ethically. Of course there are malicious server operators out there that will be falsely banning people.
__________________
Bugsy is offline
wrecked_
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York (GMT-5)
Old 05-01-2010 , 09:53   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?
#53

Couldn't something like a little asterisk perpending the SteamID or just the line to show that the ID has been changed fix this? Such a thing seems to be a problem to the solution, assuming the demos are looked at personally by admins at SteamBans, which I couldn't see how they aren't.
__________________
[ Paid Requests ]
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT BLOCKMAKER
NO PRIVATE SUPPORT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash.org
<axle345> I mean seriosuly guys holocaust jokes aren't funny
<axle345> Anne Frankly, I won't stand for it.
wrecked_ is offline
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Unknown
Old 05-01-2010 , 09:55   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?
#54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked_ View Post
Couldn't something like a little asterisk perpending the SteamID or just the line to show that the ID has been changed fix this? Such a thing seems to be a problem to the solution, assuming the demos are looked at personally by admins at SteamBans, which I couldn't see how they aren't.
At the same time, someone can recode it to remove the asterisk, or something that displays that there is a change.
__________________
DruGzOG is offline
Send a message via AIM to DruGzOG
wrecked_
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York (GMT-5)
Old 05-01-2010 , 10:21   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?
#55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruGzOG View Post
At the same time, someone can recode it to remove the asterisk, or something that displays that there is a change.
I'd suggest hard coding it and closing the source to a small file that would specify the key and maybe force the symbol, but that would be just another reason to unapprove it, due to the closed-source. Perhaps permission from a moderator would suffice?
__________________
[ Paid Requests ]
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT BLOCKMAKER
NO PRIVATE SUPPORT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash.org
<axle345> I mean seriosuly guys holocaust jokes aren't funny
<axle345> Anne Frankly, I won't stand for it.
wrecked_ is offline
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Unknown
Old 05-01-2010 , 10:40   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?
#56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked_ View Post
I'd suggest hard coding it and closing the source to a small file that would specify the key and maybe force the symbol, but that would be just another reason to unapprove it, due to the closed-source. Perhaps permission from a moderator would suffice?
It would, but at the same time, breaking a global rule of keeping the file opened source, will trigger other users to do something similar, when coding a plugin like SteamID Replacer.

In the end, a new topic like this will spark for almost every plugin that will change something that may be valuable data.
__________________
DruGzOG is offline
Send a message via AIM to DruGzOG
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Old 05-01-2010 , 10:43   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?
#57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked_ View Post
Perhaps permission from a moderator would suffice?
Permission from dvander would be needed.
__________________
ProjectYami Laboratories

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (intervening in a thread, asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
YamiKaitou is offline
stupok
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Old 05-01-2010 , 12:39   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?
#58

I think we can change the topic of discussion now.

It's clear that the problem is not the steamid replacer plugin.

The problem is that SteamBans relies on a changeable steamid. The plugin exacerbates the problem.

What are the developers of SteamBans going to do about it? Since they're censoring this plugin, they must not be ready to deal with the problem. They could accept reports only from trusted servers. They could maintain a database of who played what, when, and with whom. Contradictions in the database would indicate a changed steamid. They could keep track of the IPs (and countries) that each steamid uses, perhaps even previous names. All of these things would help to increase the likelihood that a steamid report is authentic. It also requires a lot of resources.

So, fine, censor the plugin. Surely it will make the problem smaller right now, but it doesn't save your project from failure in the long term. However, don't censor the knowledge. Users should understand the reliability of your reports.
__________________
stupok is offline
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Unknown
Old 05-01-2010 , 13:34   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?
#59

If there was another way to get the user steamid, there won't be a problem, but since there is, can't say nothing.
__________________
DruGzOG is offline
Send a message via AIM to DruGzOG
minimiller
Veteran Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Old 05-01-2010 , 14:51   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?
#60

why not make the plugin so that admins can see the users actual steamID, but players see the fakeID?
then when an admin reports a cheater, they will have the users real steamID and everyone is happy
__________________
minimiller is offline
Send a message via MSN to minimiller
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 00:07.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Theme made by Freecode