Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)

Post New Thread Reply   

Flynn
Old 09-14-2009 , 16:15   Re: Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Army View Post
Please display where I attacked your credability?
Quoted in the original post. You don't need me to point out.

EDIT: By original I mean the one with the lengthy statements.
Send a message via MSN to Flynn Send a message via Skype™ to Flynn
Peoples Army
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-14-2009 , 16:16   Re: Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)
Reply With Quote #22

By simply mentioning you by name that is a creditability attack?
Old 09-14-2009 , 16:22   Re: Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
By simply mentioning you by name that is a creditability attack?
Especially when you imply all code I supply is inefficient 'if you want inefficient code'. It's not exactly a very ethical thing to do, especially with little actual evidence to prove that point.

Additionally, we don't exactly have manoeuvring room to debate efficiency due to the limited (or lack of) options we have.

Presume I take away my idea; you'd have nothing to 'suggest' 'improvements' on, because we wouldn't even have anything functional. Most of the ideas I supply are pseudo-design ideas anyway; something to make use of to BUILD UPON.

You're not building upon, you're just taking my suggestion, improving it then stabbing me in the back for suggesting it by implying it's inefficient.
Peoples Army
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-14-2009 , 16:29   Re: Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)
Reply With Quote #24

This forum is for scripting plugins not debate, if you want to debate feel free to send me a private message.
Old 09-14-2009 , 16:32   Re: Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
This forum is for scripting plugins not debate, if you want to debate feel free to send me a private message.
Isn't that ironic. Sure. If you want to debate the efficiency of my code, feel free to send a PM to me in future.
Peoples Army
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-14-2009 , 16:37   Re: Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)
Reply With Quote #26

Actually your inefficient code IS Scripting genius, therefore its perfectly acceptable to debate here.
Old 09-14-2009 , 16:41   Re: Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Actually your inefficient code IS Scripting genius, therefore its perfectly acceptable to debate here.
Seeing as we both agreed to PM over the debate, and you're just taking to douchebagginess in replies, I'm just going to ignore additional comments unless they come in the form of PM.
Peoples Army
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-14-2009 , 16:45   Re: Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)
Reply With Quote #28

I win.
Old 09-14-2009 , 16:46   Re: Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)
Reply With Quote #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
I still disagree with his comment of making code less efficient simply to make it more readable.
Try maintaining a piece of code someone wrote 10 years ago and has since been modified by 20 different people, all "optimizing" their code to "save" 1 or 2 instructions here or there (that does database access that takes much longer), with variable names like i, and no comments. Bonus points for getting called at 3AM because the code broke in a critical production batch job and having to figure it all out.

Then see is you still disagree with him.

//I have over 25 Years in IT and am currently a Senior Software Engineer doing Production Support for VWoA.
Flynn
Old 09-14-2009 , 16:59   Re: Set Player's max HP on spawn (TF2)
Reply With Quote #30

@narris

Touche on given point.

However (trying not to go off-topic too much, but that's not going to work ), game code has to be pretty efficient to run on most machines (the bigger the machine base, bigger potential income). No game would seriously be maintained after 20 years (although I've seen this county's finances running on DoS and a copy of excel for backup - not cool). And typically, said game would be worked upon by a team who have their own specific 'modules' to construct.

Once released it'd either be patched up for faults or a new one written. Games have a different requirement of code to say, a spreadsheet or database program. They don't have to render full blown graphics, they can afford some loss of efficiency.

Readability is a must yes, but you do not need to sacrifice efficiency to make it readable. Only 'idiomatic C' that is supposed to be the most efficient way is the most unreadable. But I consider that shaving off a hair in order to lose weight.

Ever had to write a well named, but super-lengthy g_pPlayerRemainingHealth[player] over a dozen times and you'll see why it gets shortened to 'i' or 'arr'.

Additional Edit: When you have a stupidly short deadline, suddenly comments take a lot less priority. I'd imagine if I did work on a team I'd change my approach to match.