Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Tips for buying an headset

Post New Thread Reply   

joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2012 , 13:44   Tips for buying an headset
Reply With Quote #1

Hello fellows. Let's say I want to buy an headset and don't know nothing about their properties related with sound quality or volume or that stuff. Like, before I bought one randomly just looking at its aspect and the sound they output is low and when I listen to music with them I dont feel the power that the music is made to transmit. So my question is: i'm checking headsets to buy and don't know nothing about sound properties, to which properties and how should I look in their specification? Thanks.
joexxxx
Old 05-02-2012 , 14:01   Re: Tips for buying an headset
Reply With Quote #2

Hey Joaquinmandrade, If you're an audiophile *Which you don't seem to be* I would honestly have 2 headsets. One for headset for gaming which would have lackluster bass for FPS shooters. That way you can hear footsteps better. Most gaming headsets lack bass for this reason. And for music you could pick up a nice pair with a wide variety of tones, mids, lows, highs. Some good gaming headset brands are Razer, Steelseries, Tritton. Some good quality music headphones are audio technica, Sennheisers, Denons. (Note music headphones will NOT have microphones) You would have to buy a seperate standalone microphone. Hope this helps

~Joexxxx
Send a message via AIM to joexxxx
joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2012 , 14:05   Re: Tips for buying an headset
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexxxx View Post
Hey Joaquinmandrade, If you're an audiophile *Which you don't seem to be* I would honestly have 2 headsets. One for headset for gaming which would have lackluster bass for FPS shooters. That way you can hear footsteps better. Most gaming headsets lack bass for this reason. And for music you could pick up a nice pair with a wide variety of tones, mids, lows, highs. Some good gaming headset brands are Razer, Steelseries, Tritton. Some good quality music headphones are audio technica, Sennheisers, Denons. (Note music headphones will NOT have microphones) You would have to buy a seperate standalone microphone. Hope this helps

~Joexxxx
Very helpful thank you fellow
Xalus
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2012 , 15:31   Re: Tips for buying an headset
Reply With Quote #4

http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/1623075...elefoon-m.html

Thats the one I got,
My brother says the music quality of the Headset is much better then hes Laptop,
and I like it to.

Quality of mic is also good.

Great deal for that price in my eyes
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2012 , 15:44   Re: Tips for buying an headset
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalus View Post
http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/1623075...elefoon-m.html

Thats the one I got,
My brother says the music quality of the Headset is much better then hes Laptop,
and I like it to.

Quality of mic is also good.

Great deal for that price in my eyes
I like its looks and the thing to put in the ear part seems very comfortable but I think I will not buy a gaming one for now because I prefer to have a nice music session than a nice sound session while playing
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2012 , 17:44   Re: Tips for buying an headset
Reply With Quote #6

Without knowing your budget and assuming you'll connect them directly to your soundcard's output: DT 770 PRO LE 32 Ohms. And if you have a proper amplifier: DT 770 PRO
They're very, very solid, circumaural (the earpads completely surround your ears, which is comfortable) and closed (meaning other people nearby won't be bothered by your music as much as they would with open phones).

I've had a few Sennheisers (two HD590s and a HD270 (out of production)) and an Audio Technica ATH-AD700. All of them I've used both for gaming and listening to music (and films). While the Sennheisers were really comfortable, I thought they produced too much bass. With the AD700 it's the opposite: their sound is very natural and clear, but they're much less comfortable than the Sennheisers. So trying before buying is something you should really do, especially if you're about to spend a considerable amount of money.

Keep in mind that headsets tend to 'echo' the other party to the other party (the other party will hear themselves), because the microphone is attached to the frame that bears the speakers. Therefor I prefer desktop microphones.

Last edited by 8088; 05-02-2012 at 17:45.
joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2012 , 18:53   Re: Tips for buying an headset
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8088 View Post
Without knowing your budget and assuming you'll connect them directly to your soundcard's output: DT 770 PRO LE 32 Ohms. And if you have a proper amplifier: DT 770 PRO
They're very, very solid, circumaural (the earpads completely surround your ears, which is comfortable) and closed (meaning other people nearby won't be bothered by your music as much as they would with open phones).

I've had a few Sennheisers (two HD590s and a HD270 (out of production)) and an Audio Technica ATH-AD700. All of them I've used both for gaming and listening to music (and films). While the Sennheisers were really comfortable, I thought they produced too much bass. With the AD700 it's the opposite: their sound is very natural and clear, but they're much less comfortable than the Sennheisers. So trying before buying is something you should really do, especially if you're about to spend a considerable amount of money.

Keep in mind that headsets tend to 'echo' the other party to the other party (the other party will hear themselves), because the microphone is attached to the frame that bears the speakers. Therefor I prefer desktop microphones.
Thanks fellow I'm gonna check the links and I also think that the idea of "trying before buying is something you should really do" should be kept in mind.
mabaclu
Old 05-02-2012 , 19:31   Re: Tips for buying an headset
Reply With Quote #8

Make sure the ones you buy have strong connections. I've had problems with joints (or whatever their name is) that connect the wire to the computer or to the headset itself. After some time you'll only hear from 1 side and if you want to fix it you'll have to lean your head down while hearing (which is not a good solution at all) or add some tape to the joint so it establishes the connection properly. Some headsets come with stronger joints, i suggest you look for them. This problem happens quite frequently and it doesn't matter if you treat them carefully or not, after some time they'll stop working normally.

Last edited by mabaclu; 05-02-2012 at 19:32.
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2012 , 21:01   Re: Tips for buying an headset
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabaclu View Post
Make sure the ones you buy have strong connections.
Good point. All Sennheisers I had were very weak in that area. It's nice that their cables are replaceable (especially since they are thin and vulnerable - chairs with wheels and Sennheiser's cables don't mix very well), but the sockets in the headphones are just as weak. Really annoying.
Veteran Member
Old 05-02-2012 , 22:00   Re: Tips for buying an headset
Reply With Quote #10

Ok thanks to both. I will keep that in mind