Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

The so-called "LUA Source Scripting" plugin for clients.

Post New Thread Reply   

Darkhand
Old 03-25-2010 , 15:43   Re: The so-called "LUA Source Scripting" plugin for clients.
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzCargo View Post
Stop taking the easy road out. You need to actually block the EXPLOITS, not the plugin. If you keep just blocking the cvars/plugins then people will just get around it. If you block the actual malicious exploits then people will be able to use the good scripts without bothering anyone. I understand your predicament and respect most of your choices, but permabanning on a cvar when people can change the cvar in about 2 minutes is just a bit over the top. You're better than that. We all know that. Please do the right thing. Don't take the easy way out.
Sourcemod and Metamod don't give you carte blanche access to the guts of the game; there's only so much you have access to, and so much you can do within that area of influence.
EzzCargo
Old 03-25-2010 , 18:57   Re: The so-called "LUA Source Scripting" plugin for clients.
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhand View Post
Sourcemod and Metamod don't give you carte blanche access to the guts of the game; there's only so much you have access to, and so much you can do within that area of influence.
Just because you believe it's not possible doesn't make it impossible. Anything is possible as long as you have the willpower and knowledge to do so. And I know Sourcemod and Metamod doesn't give you access to every little nook and cranny of the game's engine doesn't mean you can't block the cvars that cause the crashes/lagging scripts. If you can block any cvar, why block the plugin's cvar instead of blocking the root of the problem? There will always be new plugins/ways of exploiting the source engine. Kigen is taking the easy way out, instead of blocking the root of the problems.
propaganda
Old 03-25-2010 , 21:55   Re: The so-called "LUA Source Scripting" plugin for clients.
Reply With Quote #23

+1 on this, thanks Kigen.
EzzCargo
Old 03-26-2010 , 00:05   Re: The so-called "LUA Source Scripting" plugin for clients.
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick4283 View Post
Lol no KAC is shit all it does is look for the version and if you change that Cvar it does not do any thing so if you spent more time blocking the exploits you would have a better plug-in
This is what I've been trying to say. If you block the actual exploits, not the plugin itself(which can be easily edited to bypass kigen's little quick/easy fix) then you'd have a better plugin. The only thing I don't agree with him about the post is the DDoS comment. Violence is never the answer.
Kigen
BANNED
Old 03-26-2010 , 00:59   Re: The so-called "LUA Source Scripting" plugin for clients.
Reply With Quote #25

DDoS isn't the issue for the master server. Its a issue with stack frame corruption.

Anyhow, its very hard to keep up with all these exploits the Source engine has without some assistance from VALVe. The whole loading server-side plugins on the client shouldn't even exist. But VALVe so far hasn't done anything about it.
EzzCargo
Old 03-26-2010 , 01:18   Re: The so-called "LUA Source Scripting" plugin for clients.
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kigen View Post
its very hard to keep up with all these exploits the Source engine has without some assistance
That's why we have people like you to make extra anti-cheats to stop exploits. Not to block every little thing that can be used for an exploit. Sure, LUA can be used to exploit, but what about other plugins, like the TestScript plugin? It may be harder, but ruining everyone else's fun just because some bad apples had to be dipsh*ts with something doesn't mean you need to completely throw it out the window.
egor1908
Veteran Member
Old 03-26-2010 , 07:34   Re: The so-called "LUA Source Scripting" plugin for clients.
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Anyhow, its very hard to keep up with all these exploits the Source engine has without some assistance from VALVe. The whole loading server-side plugins on the client shouldn't even exist. But VALVe so far hasn't done anything about it.
Can you comment on my post #23?

I think the only way to detect these changes is to search for non-default cvars that should not exist. But there are allready about 6000 cvars built into source games ...
bobdole
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-26-2010 , 20:31   Re: The so-called "LUA Source Scripting" plugin for clients.
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
The whole loading server-side plugins on the client shouldn't even exist. But VALVe so far hasn't done anything about it.
I would love to know how listen servers can be made properly without that feature...
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 03-26-2010 , 21:27   Re: The so-called "LUA Source Scripting" plugin for clients.
Reply With Quote #29

Kigen, I'm locking this. It's attracting far too many trolls.