Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Fast Download Problem

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Cooltad
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2010 , 08:34   Re: Fast Download Problem

And because I am obviously correct, Lob cannot make any argument against it, other than using me replying to him as a basis for his point.
Point of advice Lob:
Claiming something to be childish, does not prove it is a childish. A claim is different from a factual point.
Now then, the facts are: You can set downloadurl to ANYTHING as long as the file structure is the same as your game folder, you can even use an IP address if you know how to.
Respect? Fuck respect. You cannot believe anyone who disagrees with you is a child, nor can you think that everyone needs to 'respect' you, and that this 'respect' means agreeing with you.
What research do you present to somehow miraculously prove me wrong that downloadurl can be anything?
You honestly cannot claim 'do research' as a point.

Now then, here, OP, is what you MUST check for:
CHMOD your downloads directory and any folders inside it to 755. Google how to chmod if you don't know about it.
Then, CHMOD each downloadable file to 644, this is for security and to allow proper download.
Then, make sure you only have .bsp.bz2, you do not need the bsp, as the user will download .bsp.bz2, and putting the bsp in the download directory may potentially cause issue.

Here is what you do if your downloadurl is http://mysite.com/tf
Make a folder called maps, then place each .bsp.bz2 file inside this directory, this is where they will download the maps from.

If none of the above works, check to see if only you are having this crc issue. Furthermore, it is possible you already have a corrupt version of the file in your steam/steamapps/name/teamfortress2/tf/maps folder, therefore making the crc check fail. So when you go to test this next, go to your maps directory on your home computer you play tf2 on, and delete the map file in question if it is there.

If, after all the above, it still does not work, then either you did the above incorrectly, or your webserver does not support downloads of that kind somehow.

Last edited by Cooltad; 03-10-2010 at 08:41.
frostschutz
Old 03-10-2010 , 08:48   Re: Fast Download Problem

If anyone hijacked this thread, it was you, Lob . Neither does a download url have to end with /tf nor does the gameservers map folder have to contain bz2 files. Also you were the one who started disrespecting others by repeating your nonsense over and over again and insulting the ones who had to correct your .

On a more productive sidenode, it's simply not possible to help the OP because he doesn't give the information necessary to help him. He was repeatedly asked to give a link to a map on his download url, so far all he gave was links to 404 error land. Hence no one's able to reproduce his problem and I return to my previous assessment:

The OP's problem is that the files aren't there.

Case closed until the OP provides information that helps us help him.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 03-10-2010 , 10:21   Re: Fast Download Problem

Lob, I know you feel like you are being attacked, but they are right. The FastDL url does NOT need to end in the mod directory. My FastDL works I believe, but I haven't gone out and actually tested it to make sure as it is a paid product and I assume that the url they give me works.

frostschutz, the OP changed the folder name during this converstation if I read the posts correctly, so that is why the links he posted result in 404.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2010 , 11:47   Re: Fast Download Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
Lob, I know you feel like you are being attacked, but they are right. The FastDL url does NOT need to end in the mod directory. My FastDL works I believe, but I haven't gone out and actually tested it to make sure as it is a paid product and I assume that the url they give me works.
It is still completely irrelevant as i have repeatedly pointed out. There are many different ways of doing things but that does not make the advice incorrect that was given by an experienced member who has helped many people on this forum. Everyone does things differently and some methods are better than others. We can all find faults in anything anyone says which is totally pointless.

The advice given was still good and still works perfectly and has been and is still currently being used on many Servers with outstanding results.

To say the advice is nonsense is completely incorrect and attacking/ganging up on other members and saying they are full of crap and swearing cannot be justified in any situation.

- Lob (UK)
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2010 , 12:20   Re: Fast Download Problem

I had told myself to keep out of this, but this is getting ridiculous...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lob (UK View Post
It is still completely irrelevant
Correcting false information is anything but irrelevant. Posting about having run servers with fast downloads for over five years and having helped others as a self-proclaimed experienced member is.
Quote:
Everyone does things differently and some methods are better than others. We can all find faults in anything anyone says which is totally pointless.
Correcting faults is anything but pointless. Feeling attacked when being corrected is.
Quote:
To say the advice is nonsense is completely incorrect and attacking/ganging up on other members
Playing the Calimero act is just as silly.
Quote:
and saying they are full of crap and swearing cannot be justified in any situation.
Before you start pointing at others, you might want to have a look at what you've posted.

You have been contradicting yourself more than once, and ridiculing other people's posts. If you want to be treated with respect, this is not the way to go. How about focussing on helping and providing correct information instead of quarreling like little children.
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2010 , 12:35   Re: Fast Download Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8088 View Post
Before you start pointing at others, you might want to have a look at what you've posted.

You have been contradicting yourself more than once, and ridiculing other people's posts. If you want to be treated with respect, this is not the way to go. How about focussing on helping and providing correct information instead of quarreling like little children.
This posted method works perfectly no matter how long you continue on with this childish and pathetic behaviour. Yes you can find faults such as it does not have to be in folder /tf and the bzips do not have to be in the server/map folder but none of that makes any difference and the full method still works perfectly with great results regardless.

Quote:
Dont add the / to the end. It does not need to be there.

The problem is your redirect is set up incorrectly and will not work.

You have this.

sv_downloadurl "http://elec0.com/games/tf2"

The redirect has to follow the exact file structure from and including the tf folder so you should actually have it set up like this:

sv_downloadurl "http://elec0.com/games/tf"

And then your ensuing file path structure should follow the same as the server. Example

http://elec0.com/games/tf/maps
http://elec0.com/games/tf/materials
http://elec0.com/games/tf/sound (Notice i have removed the "s" from the end)
http://elec0.com/games/tf/models

And some more notes:

- Make sure that the access is set up correctly on your webserver so that people can directly download the files without login/access required etc. If the file cannot be downloaded directly by any user, then it will not work.

- With you using bzips on your redirect, ensure that your actual Server map folder has both the Bzips and the original bsp's

- Lob (UK)
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2010 , 12:44   Re: Fast Download Problem

When will you realise that nobody has ever stated that the method you posted wouldn't work?
It's about this:
Quote:
sv_downloadurl has to end in /tf for Team Fortress 2
It's simply incorrect.

Shame that treating others respectfully is still too much asked. I'm out of here.
Veteran Member
Old 03-10-2010 , 12:56   Re: Fast Download Problem

Quote:
When will you realise that nobody has ever stated that the method you posted wouldn't work?
It's about this:

It's simply incorrect.

Shame that treating others respectfully is still too much asked. I'm out of here.
The method is not incorrect. It is just a different method and still works perfectly. Not everyone does things the same way and some methods might work better than other methods.

You call this treating people respectfully?

Quote:
Obviously you have no knowledge of web servers. That's fine though, but no reason to mock other people.
Signed, a happy user using blah.domain.tld/maps, blah.domain.tld/sound, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
@lob(uk:
You're full of crab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltad View Post
Respect? Fuck respect.
- Lob (UK)
frostschutz
Old 03-10-2010 , 13:01   Re: Fast Download Problem

Lob needs more crabs, so here they are:

I humbly request that this thread be closed.

Last edited by frostschutz; 03-10-2010 at 13:09.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 03-10-2010 , 13:40   Re: Fast Download Problem

Quote:
The method is not incorrect. It is just a different method and still works perfectly. Not everyone does things the same way and some methods might work better than other methods.
While it may not be incorrect, the mentioning of that it has to be in a /tf folder is incorrect. It does not have to be in it, it is normally recommended to prevent further confusion, but it is not a requirement.

I'm sorry to say this, but you by stating that it was a requirement for the FastDL to be in the /tf folder, you provided the posters with the flame bait. I will agree with you that it was wrong for them to take the bait.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Closed Thread