Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[L4D2] addon maps cause server changes

Post New Thread Reply   

dustinandband
Old 04-27-2017 , 14:02   [L4D2] addon maps cause server changes
Reply With Quote #1

After loading a bunch of workshop addon maps to the server, as well as Rayman's mutation mod and valve's missing content fix, we've discovered that even after the server is freshly rebooted, certain addon maps (or maybe mods) leave an affect on the servers. For example, when connecting to an official map - the horde sizes where ridiculous, the tank was able to catch up with me when i was green hp, and also it punched me from 500 meters away.

Is there a way to check addon maps / mods to see if they change any default server settings?

We have already gone through some effort to configure our servers to completely shut down upon all players disconnecting, then restart (from a cron job script) to prevent this sort of thing from happening. We where even in the process of finishing a plugin that would prevent players from calling a map change vote when an addon map was being used. This is very disappointing...
dustinandband
Old 05-06-2017 , 13:35   Re: [L4D2] addon maps cause server changes
Reply With Quote #2

Alright I now know why. It's because some addon maps use the same file name within the same file path as "common\Left 4 Dead 2\update\pak01_dir". For example if an addon map has a gamemodes.txt file within the scripts folder - it's guaranteed to write over or have an affect on the default game since there's also a gamemodes.txt in the scripts folder of pak01_dir.

Ideally I'd want a python script to go through all the vpk files (41 GB woth of addon maps) and return the vpk name if any file names are found in specific folders. For example it doesn't matter if the file name "gamemodes" is found UNLESS it's found specifically in the scripts directory.

Would anyone be willing to code a program like this? Though I think it would be very simple and I'd be willing to help with non-coding tasks (such as getting all the names for the specific folders), I'd be willing to pay for completion of the script. I only am starting out on sourcepawn and am too anxious to finish this project to learn python.