Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Setmaster Invalid ????

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

alexan
Old 04-05-2012 , 04:06   Re: Setmaster Invalid ????

Im hosting on my home connection, and I play on the same computer my server is on: how can I get this working correctly?

if I uninstall steam, it find the setmaster, but once steam is installed it does not work...
3volution
Old 04-05-2012 , 15:34   Re: Setmaster Invalid ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexan View Post
Im hosting on my home connection, and I play on the same computer my server is on: how can I get this working correctly?

if I uninstall steam, it find the setmaster, but once steam is installed it does not work...
So far I haven't found any way to get it to work correctly if you are hosting on the same computer that is also running steam. There also hasn't been any word from Valve on the issue, so it doesn't seem very hopeful.

Even if you change your steam directory, it seems to work fine for a bit, but will eventually mess up again after a server restart (setmaster command no longer recognized/add commands being invalid just as if you were running Dedicated Server from Steam Tools). People can still add your server IP to favorites and join, however you will not be able to get listed on the Server Browser or any of the gametiger/game-monitor websites.

If anyone has found a stable workaround, I would be interested in hearing it. I have tried an earlier release of HLDS, which once again worked fine for a bit, but then stopped (possibly inherited some DLLs/configs from steam after server restarts).
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-05-2012 , 22:10   Re: Setmaster Invalid ????

You have to realize that a Standalone HLDS was never and will never be meant to be run on the same machine as the client. If it is truly just a test server (which it shouldn't be more than that) then you don't really need it to show in the master server list.

Last edited by fysiks; 04-05-2012 at 22:11. Reason: small typo
alexan
Old 04-06-2012 , 02:53   Re: Setmaster Invalid ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3volution View Post
So far I haven't found any way to get it to work correctly if you are hosting on the same computer that is also running steam. There also hasn't been any word from Valve on the issue, so it doesn't seem very hopeful.

Even if you change your steam directory, it seems to work fine for a bit, but will eventually mess up again after a server restart (setmaster command no longer recognized/add commands being invalid just as if you were running Dedicated Server from Steam Tools). People can still add your server IP to favorites and join, however you will not be able to get listed on the Server Browser or any of the gametiger/game-monitor websites.

If anyone has found a stable workaround, I would be interested in hearing it. I have tried an earlier release of HLDS, which once again worked fine for a bit, but then stopped (possibly inherited some DLLs/configs from steam after server restarts).
Thanks alot for your answer!
3volution
Old 04-07-2012 , 03:37   Re: Setmaster Invalid ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
You have to realize that a Standalone HLDS was never and will never be meant to be run on the same machine as the client. If it is truly just a test server (which it shouldn't be more than that) then you don't really need it to show in the master server list.
Not entirely true. I used to run a secondary test server on my home connection that would always get listed on the server browser, but that was back in '05-06 or so.

Also, there's nothing wrong about wanting to get listed on the server browser if you're wanting to test some things in a live environment instead of just with bots or a friend or two. It is often difficult to find enough friends who still have cs 1.6 installed and would be interested in helping balance test...rather than just filling the server with some pubs and getting their feedback.

But yeah, after spending a lot of time trying to find a workaround, it seems that an HLDS or Steam update in the past has made them incompatible with each other. I've found a way to get listed, but it resets itself after a single server restart and takes a fair amount of time to set up in the first place...so it really is not viable.

Unless someone else finds another way, the solution is to just not run Steam on the same machine as HLDS.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-07-2012 , 10:23   Re: Setmaster Invalid ????

Quote:
Not entirely true. I used to run a secondary test server on my home connection that would always get listed on the server browser, but that was back in '05-06 or so.

Also, there's nothing wrong about wanting to get listed on the server browser if you're wanting to test some things in a live environment instead of just with bots or a friend or two. It is often difficult to find enough friends who still have cs 1.6 installed and would be interested in helping balance test...rather than just filling the server with some pubs and getting their feedback.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful nor that it didn't used to work, I'm just saying that there isn't really any good reason for Valve to "fix" something that isn't broken when used the way it was intended.
Old 04-11-2012 , 08:30   Re: Setmaster Invalid ????

Quote:
Yes, I realize this is an old thread, but the issue is valid and still remains. Having HLDS and steam installed on the same computer MOST DEFINITELY DOES AFFECT the setmaster commands for HLDS.

If you have steam and your dedicated server on the same computer, even if steam is not running, your server will never get added to the Server Browser or be seen on gametiger/gamemonitor. It will also spam the server console with "♥MasterRequestRestart Your server is out of date." even if you have everything fully updated. This is with correct steam_appid.txt/steam.inf/liblist.gam files, ports opened and forwarded correctly, sv_region set to 255, VAC authenticating just fine, etc.. Players are able to join through manually adding the IP to their favorites, but still cannot be seen through the server browser.

The supposed workaround is to delete steam, but that is not a viable solution if you are hosting on your home connection while testing plugins and configs before renting a dedicated game server. Supposedly moving the steam folder can achieve the same effect, but for a lot of people that folder is 100+ gb and does not like being moved.

I was able to briefly get my server listed properly after moving my steam folder. But a bit after loading steam while my server was up and connecting to the server to test some plugins, setmaster bugged out again after a server restart. One idea why this is happening is that HLDS may be "borrowing" some DLLs from steam if it is running. This issue has came up on the mailing list the past few days, but no word from Valve yet.
thank you for this information.
seems to be the only thing I had not yet trying to do.
this is really a bug, and it is annoying .
I play on the same PC server. and I have this same problem.

I'll start doing other tests going forward.
and try other solutions. if I can find a way
around this, I return this topic to share.
Old 04-11-2012 , 13:39   Re: Setmaster Invalid ????

BUt the thing that is so strange, before it worked flawless whit steam Installed, then one day I got the message "your server need to be updated" so it must be valve that have done some crazY thingy....
yokomo
Surprise Ascot!
Old 04-11-2012 , 15:57   Re: Setmaster Invalid ????

If you are running hlds in the same PC as your client, you need to run your hlds first then run your Steam client. But if you quit hlds then re-launch again this problem is back Happy re-exit Steam client
✅ MultiMod -- 103.179.44.152:27016
✅ Zombie Plague -- 103.179.44.152:27015
✅ Zombie Escape -- 103.179.44.152:27017
✅ Klassik Kombat -- 103.179.44.152:27018
✅ Boss-Battle -- 103.179.44.152:27019
alexan
Old 04-12-2012 , 02:51   Re: Setmaster Invalid ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokomo View Post
If you are running hlds in the same PC as your client, you need to run your hlds first then run your Steam client. But if you quit hlds then re-launch again this problem is back Happy re-exit Steam client
Nope does not work! - Still showing the message.
Closed Thread