Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

So what happened to the dev community?

Post New Thread Reply   

Bubka3
Sir Buzz Killington, Esq.
Old 03-17-2015 , 18:06   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #11

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabbl...ts-td8679.html
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 03-17-2015 , 18:22   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubka3 View Post
Most, if not all of that list has been some kind of patch, or plugin to fix those issues serversided.
Bubka3
Sir Buzz Killington, Esq.
Old 03-20-2015 , 07:50   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
Most, if not all of that list has been some kind of patch, or plugin to fix those issues serversided.
Still can't view game info properly nor display info on screen (except for ugly menu and hint messages work-around).

(as of Jan '15, if this has changed I'd love to know)
RedSword
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 03-21-2015 , 02:36   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
CSGO sucks.
Pretty much. Valve is denying more and more modifications on his game.

1.6 had tons of features that could be moded. Starting from CSS they removed HUD modifications (until lately; which is wayyy too late). Under CSGO, they also changed the default gameplay mod: matchmaking instead of community servers. Discovering a "cool" server is more rare that way.

I also believe (I'm possibly wrong here) that TE_ (temporary entities) were cooler in CS 1.6 because they weren't limited as much as in CSS/CSGO (32 max ? or 16 or 64 ?; it is twice less from CSS to CSGO at least <.<). I also remember the "sleep" in War3x by Ryan; where I've never seen something as cool in CSS/CSGO.

I'm also pretty sure "reconnect" console command worked for a long time in CSS. That's not the case anymore (= we have to use retry = longer reconnect)

CSGO was also released with (or came to have) many problems when it comes to modding (versus CSS), mainly due to the fact that CSGO is still ~~young :
  • Different movement speed system. Then if you modify it you still have strange effects (i.e. when jumping)
  • Different sound system. (as in L4D(2) and a few others I believe)
  • There is also the fact that there doesn't seem to be a CSS&CSGO compatible map version (when compiling with Hammer) that doesn't produce warnings (i.e. I made my bsp that worked for both, but CSGO kept asking for me to generate a string dictionary; CSS should be updated to allow string dictionary ).
  • No transparency for default player models. It seems Valve really hate Warcraft 3 mods.
  • The annoying team limits (that problem was rather present in SM forums during the first days of CSGO AFAICR), preventing you from joining a team
  • The annoying ticket thing that prevented you from joining your server (was a rather notable problem during the first days of CSGO on the forums IIRC)
  • Ridiculous delay to enter a game when compared to CSS. Makes it annoying to test plugins.
  • srcds.exe longer to boot
  • Different money system (is this still a problem ?)
  • CSS has a lot of common with different games, making it easy to update/add functionality. CSGO... is CSGO; sure it is Source Engine but it really is its own branch; lot of stuff broke at the time.
  • Annoying setup for the server. Why the f* would people use 4+ different configs -_- (match making made community suffer on the server configuration level). I'm talking about the different gamemode_*.cfg here.
  • When UserMsg got changed on Christmas 2012. Valve reverted and waited for 1 month because everything was breaking :$ :/. That didn't cause too many problem SM-DEV-wise; but many plugins had to update.
  • The menu keys being swallowed by Valve new menu in CSGO (was a problem that SM couldn't solve for an important, though short, time).

IIRC in 1.6 it was possible to add/modify weapons (i.e. Superhero mod (ugh) with dual mp5). Sure I've seen some gun-modification in CSS/CSGO; but they certainly doesn't have such sexiness potential.

Then there are the CSGO mods that are also starting to compete with SM plugins; which is a bit annoying (I've heard they implemented the equivalent of my Afk Bomb plugin; though I didn't investigate further).

One of the big problem is the fact that they split the community. Having 6 different Counter-Strike is a bit depressing (1.6/CSS/CSGO/CSCZ/CS:Korea/CS:Korea2; not to mention 1.3 (is it still available ?) and the non-Steam versions).

Red

EDIT : And making plugins mostly not trackable anymore (feb 2014 update). *** Valve. This is a huge blow to developing plugins. It removes the only incentive an approved plugin gets. How can you know if what you're developing is even being used currently... downloads and posts is the only indicator we have...
RAWR (per player/rounds Awp Restrict.)
Kill Assist
Be Medic

You can also Donate if you appreciate my work

Last edited by RedSword; 03-25-2015 at 20:37.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 03-21-2015 , 14:22   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSword View Post
No transparency for default player models. It seems Valve really hate Warcraft 3 mods.
There are ways around that, as checking out my Custom-Player-Skin module if your lazy.

Quote:
The annoying team limits (that problem was rather present in SM forums during the first days of CSGO AFAICR), preventing you from joining a team
Never ran into this issue with mp_limitteams 32;mp_autoteambalance 0

Quote:
Ridiculous delay to enter a game when compared to CSS. Makes it annoying to test plugins.
Not sure what you mean, it takes me about 2-5 seconds to enter a game in competitive, 1-3 seconds on my local srcds. If you change the map to the current map it shouldn't even have to load at all again.

Quote:
srcds.exe longer to boot
I've actually experienced cs:go's srcds to load faster than most other games. I haven't compared to cs:s, but to tf2, my srcds loads quite quickly.

Quote:
Annoying setup for the server. Why the f* would people use 4+ different configs -_- (match making made community suffer on the server configuration level). I'm talking about the different gamemode_*.cfg here.
Annoying at most, i actually had issues with my steamcmd updating my configs to default, highly annoying, i havent seen it happen for possibly half a year now.

Im not trying to like call you out or anything, just my experience.
And if you mean by "Afk bomb" as in if the player doesnt move on round_start then he drops the bomb, then yeah that was added a few years back in casual play.
if your main concern is for Warcraft mods, in csgo you can add particle effects, that do not need to be downloaded with the map, making it better for effects in cs:go than cs:s.

Last edited by Mitchell; 03-21-2015 at 14:25.
RedSword
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 03-21-2015 , 17:34   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
There are ways around that, as checking out my Custom-Player-Skin module if your lazy.
Hence me saying "default". But I didn't know about your dev plugin; interesting.

Quote:
Never ran into this issue with mp_limitteams 32;mp_autoteambalance 0
I meant the spawn points restriction, not the exact same thing as in CSS.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean, it takes me about 2-5 seconds to enter a game in competitive, 1-3 seconds on my local srcds. If you change the map to the current map it shouldn't even have to load at all again.
Not everyone has SSD.

Quote:
I've actually experienced cs:go's srcds to load faster than most other games. I haven't compared to cs:s, but to tf2, my srcds loads quite quickly.
I was comparing to CSS implicitly.

Quote:
Annoying at most, i actually had issues with my steamcmd updating my configs to default, highly annoying, i havent seen it happen for possibly half a year now.
I meant the initial bootup where the server owner has to understand how config works. It is a bit trickier than in other mod. Not a simple server.cfg & autoexec.cfg.

Quote:
Im not trying to like call you out or anything, just my experience.
And if you mean by "Afk bomb" as in if the player doesnt move on round_start then he drops the bomb, then yeah that was added a few years back in casual play.
Thanks. I searched a bit and it seems to be sv_spawn_afk_bomb_drop_time.

Quote:
if your main concern is for Warcraft mods, in csgo you can add particle effects, that do not need to be downloaded with the map, making it better for effects in cs:go than cs:s.
There is a lower limit of TE_ in csgo AFAIK, as mentioned above. Maybe I'm a bit too paranoid but this discouraged me from some ideas.

Also do you mean that we can stream particles ?

I also forgot to mention the fact that as of ~recently it is impossible to boot up CSGO client when the server is opened. [I thought that] it was possible before.
RAWR (per player/rounds Awp Restrict.)
Kill Assist
Be Medic

You can also Donate if you appreciate my work

Last edited by RedSword; 03-25-2015 at 20:40. Reason: oops @ ducked
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 03-21-2015 , 18:29   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #17

It's funny how redsword lists a bunch of things that make it harder or incredibly inconvenient to mod for csgo and mitchell interprets each one of them as if they were to make modding for csgo impossible. It's great that you have your solutions or workarounds for some of the things but that's just beside the point.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 03-22-2015 , 10:06   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
It's funny how redsword lists a bunch of things that make it harder or incredibly inconvenient to mod for csgo and mitchell interprets each one of them as if they were to make modding for csgo impossible. It's great that you have your solutions or workarounds for some of the things but that's just beside the point.
I wasn't interpreting them as if they were impossible, i was just adding my insight. As I said in the bottom of my post, it was just my experience with csgo.

Quote:
There is a lower limit of TE_ in csgo AFAIK, as mentioned above. Maybe I'm a bit too paranoid but this discouraged me from some ideas.

Also do you mean that we can stream particles ?

I also forgot to mention the fact that as of ~recently it is impossible to boot up CSGO client when the server is opened. It was possible before.
I would suggest looking up particles in cs:s, im sure there are some TopHattWaffle tutorials out there that can kind of explain it better than I can.
The boot up irritates me also, nor sure why steam looks for the srcds at all, and thinks it's csgo.

Last edited by Mitchell; 03-22-2015 at 10:08.
rowedahelicon
Old 03-25-2015 , 05:28   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #19

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments...y_and_how_you/ I tried calling this up not too long ago, I didn't really think about CS:GO when I wrote all this out though.

It's a super huge shame, and I really tried getting a rally together to re-evaluate things. Ultimately it will take a lot of voices to explain this but it's cast out by the new generation of gamers who don't want anything more than instant satisfaction.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 03-25-2015 , 06:40   Re: So what happened to the dev community?
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
I also forgot to mention the fact that as of ~recently it is impossible to boot up CSGO client when the server is opened. It was possible before.
It has been like this since release. You need to open the client first and then the server.