Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[L4D] Versus Only

Post New Thread Reply   

Velak
Old 02-05-2009 , 10:19   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #21

one of my servers is running as daveyboye suggests (followed his instructions to do it). I've not had any problems with it at all, since I set it up, so I guess I have one of those 70+ servers.

Coop games never find the server in the first place, so it doesn't even inconvenience them to force them back into the lobby.
L4DHelp
Old 02-05-2009 , 10:59   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #22

mmm I ran the unload command in HLSW and it said it had unloaded it. But when I joined I got kicked back to lobby..
Old 02-05-2009 , 11:48   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
Alright that's fine, I'm not gonna argue the point. I think it's weird that you hate 3/4ths of the game, but like I said, whatever gets it up for you.
And I think it's weird that you continually thread-crap when you have nothing of value to share.

On topic, I run the same setup that Dave mentioned and it works like a charm. If you do run the map changing plugin (that alternates between versus maps), you can expect an issue where people cannot join your server for a period of time after the map changes to the alternate versus map. I have found that once the first half of the first map is complete, the match-making system allows new connections again. If you don't run the automatic map changing plugin, it obviously will not affect you.
santaclaus
Old 02-05-2009 , 12:03   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #24

Hi ,

A lot of people are interested in having a vs only server

i'm interested in that command returntolobby.

Sometimes we need the server for a match something like that.

I just want that command of yours in order to force them back in lobby without the vs only thingy.

Otherwise good job.

daveyboye
Old 02-05-2009 , 12:32   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #25

It will be so nice if and when Valve patches this game to allow players to create lobbies to a server of their choice without all the sv_search_key hassle.
Ydiss
Old 02-05-2009 , 12:33   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
Alright that's fine, I'm not gonna argue the point. I think it's weird that you hate 3/4ths of the game, but like I said, whatever gets it up for you.
I don't think we really needed the last part of this sentence, to be honest with you.

This is what plugins are all about, giving control to server admins - game type is one aspect of it; I don't think I ever played an FPS where the admins couldn't choose what game type was played on their server - makes little sense to me that we can't do this in L4D. Ok, so you're not going to argue but I don't think you need to dismiss me with "whatever gets it up for you". Not necessary.

We're looking into the alternative posted above - might end up using that instead. Whatever gives the best and least intrusive solution to suit our needs, we'll go for.

Last edited by Ydiss; 02-05-2009 at 12:38.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 02-05-2009 , 17:56   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydiss View Post
I don't think we really needed the last part of this sentence, to be honest with you.

This is what plugins are all about, giving control to server admins - game type is one aspect of it; I don't think I ever played an FPS where the admins couldn't choose what game type was played on their server - makes little sense to me that we can't do this in L4D. Ok, so you're not going to argue but I don't think you need to dismiss me with "whatever gets it up for you". Not necessary.

We're looking into the alternative posted above - might end up using that instead. Whatever gives the best and least intrusive solution to suit our needs, we'll go for.
Please, please, PLEASE do not follow that terrible article. It makes your server crash, and it doesn't send Coop players back to a lobby, it gives them a disconnect error and they get dumped back to the menu screen.

I have a problem with this Versus only stuff because it affects the general public. Left 4 Dead is unique in that players don't totally have a choice in where they play. I like the lobby system, but when server admins do stuff like this it is a real pain in the ass for pub players like myself when we have to go through 3 or 4 servers just to find a good one that isn't mucked up. I have no problem whatsoever if you want to run a Versus only server - just make it Private or something so when I want to go have a fun Coop game, me and 3 people don't have to sit and try to find a server over and over.

I think you are in the slim minority who wants Versus only, judging by the 18 servers I run and that most of them are running Coop games at any given time.
Old 02-05-2009 , 19:11   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #28

I can't speak to your experience.. and this thread probably isn't the place.. but..

I've been running that configuration on one of my servers for weeks now, and not had any crashes at all. No one gets "dumped back" to the menu screen because co-op games aren't even connecting to the server. Only versus games can connect.

I am having trouble comprehending how you have any issues at all. Surely if you're personally running 18 servers, I can't see how you'd have much trouble finding one to play on.
daveyboye
Old 02-05-2009 , 19:49   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #29

Velak, just ignore msleeper. I've been to quite many threads and he just has a habit of sh*ting on them. He has got quite a few people upset and seems to only complain and not contribute. He will even respond to this probably with more negativity...just take my advise and ignore the guy!
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 02-05-2009 , 19:54   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #30

lol @ that, I guess all of the scripting advice I have given doesn't count, or the two plugins I've released.

But whatever, no skin off my back.