Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[Need Help][Half-Life] SZ_GetSpace: overflow on "Player name"

Post New Thread Reply   

tiltedShrimp
Old 03-11-2024 , 20:05   [Need Help][Half-Life] SZ_GetSpace: overflow on "Player name"
Reply With Quote #1

Hey !
I've noticed occasional messages in my server's console, stating "SZ_GetSpace: overflow on 'Player name' ", with the player being timedout. The server is being hosted locally on my PC, with 1Gbps connection and solid hardware, so I'd like to know if there's still an issue from my side for people getting timedout with such message in the console, or is it happening because of player's poor network? Maybe theres a way to reduce the likelihood the issue occurring?

Thank you !

Last edited by tiltedShrimp; 03-11-2024 at 22:23.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 03-11-2024 , 23:31   Re: [Need Help][Half-Life] SZ_GetSpace: overflow on "Player name"
Reply With Quote #2

Are you sure you have a 1 Gbps connection? Or, do you have 1 Gbps downlink connection and something slower for the uplink?
Old 03-11-2024 , 23:35   Re: [Need Help][Half-Life] SZ_GetSpace: overflow on "Player name"
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
Are you sure you have a 1 Gbps connection? Or, do you have 1 Gbps downlink connection and something slower for the uplink?
Hey fysiks,
it's 1000 Mbps for download & 600 Mbps for upload to be precise
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 03-11-2024 , 23:58   Re: [Need Help][Half-Life] SZ_GetSpace: overflow on "Player name"
Reply With Quote #4

Are you running a legitimate server downloaded via SteamCMD without any modules other than AMX Mod X with only default plugins?
Old 03-12-2024 , 00:16   Re: [Need Help][Half-Life] SZ_GetSpace: overflow on "Player name"
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Are you running a legitimate server downloaded via SteamCMD without any modules other than AMX Mod X with only default plugins?
The server is indeed a legitimate Steam version, using SteamCMD, although I have installed quite a few plugins:

jk_botti bots
sev.amxx
fly_crowbar.amxx
vampire.amxx
HL_Trails+.amxx
blueroom_unlock.amxx
circular_damager.amxx
Damager_HL.amxx
ServerCmdJoinMsg.amxx
hl_ut_sounds.amxx
lambda_core.amxx
weapon_framework.amxx
amx_gore_ultimate.amxx
speclist.amxx
server_restart.amxx
pm.amxx
rpg_color.amxx
MP5-50.amxx
country_on_name_with_cvars.amxx
GHW_connect.amxx
admin_check.amxx
antisg.amxx
su-27.amxx
HL_WeaponFloating.amxx
timeHUD.amxx

I'd like to reiterate that the issue does not affect every player, more than 80%+ are able to play fine without issues, maybe even more, the issue is quite uncommon, but it's there and I'd like to do everything what's at my hand to minimize it and allow everyone to play, im just not sure if its my server configuration at fault or those players network is acting up

Last edited by tiltedShrimp; 03-12-2024 at 18:36.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 03-12-2024 , 23:54   Re: [Need Help][Half-Life] SZ_GetSpace: overflow on "Player name"
Reply With Quote #6

Is it always the same subset of players? If yes, then it's probably on them. If not, then it'll probably be really hard to diagnose.

You can attempt diagnose a potential plugin issue by disabling (in plugins.ini) all plugins that do anything with the player's names. Since it doesn't happen often (I think) you'll probably need to run the server like this for quite some time to be sure it's fixed or isn't.
Old 03-13-2024 , 00:02   Re: [Need Help][Half-Life] SZ_GetSpace: overflow on "Player name"
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Is it always the same subset of players? If yes, then it's probably on them. If not, then it'll probably be really hard to diagnose.

You can attempt diagnose a potential plugin issue by disabling (in plugins.ini) all plugins that do anything with the player's names. Since it doesn't happen often (I think) you'll probably need to run the server like this for quite some time to be sure it's fixed or isn't.
From my experience, it is the same subset of players, although the server is only a couple of months old so I need a bit more time to observe and evaluate if that's really the case. And yes, I've figured that testing such issue would be painfully slow since there really isn't a reliable way for me to reproduce this error, especially when it's quite uncommon and Im running quite a few plugins .. In any way, I really appreciate you spending your time to try to help me out !