Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

How do I use VOX speech engine?

Post New Thread Reply   

suhdude
Old 11-12-2017 , 08:55   How do I use VOX speech engine?
Reply With Quote #1

I want to use the vox speech engine in my plugin, to play sentances on round start etc.
I have tried to copy spk \'vox/hello and die\' and paste it in console, but it only says "hello"

How do I use this?

Bonus question, how do I precache multiple sounds?

Thanks
aron9forever
Veteran Member
Old 11-12-2017 , 09:22   Re: How do I use VOX speech engine?
Reply With Quote #2

okay, so first of all, there is no precaching required for vox, as you are merely executing spk commands on clients (which work even in main menu of game with no precache whatsoever)

it only supports a dictionary of words, not everything, here is a decent dictionary of words and sentences supported https://pastebin.com/F7BicjiD

to execute these in a chain, you need to use double quotes, so in console it would be spk "ass ass hello"
with amxx it would be client_cmd(id, "spk ^"ass ass hello^""); as ^ is used by default instead of \ for escaping (in PAWN)
useless small optimizations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
On a map that is 512x512x128 units you end up with 3,355,443,200,000 different "positions". To store each one of those positions individually in the variable "user_or" you need 12 terabytes of memory.

Last edited by aron9forever; 11-12-2017 at 09:23.
suhdude
Old 11-12-2017 , 09:53   Re: How do I use VOX speech engine?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron9forever View Post
okay, so first of all, there is no precaching required for vox, as you are merely executing spk commands on clients (which work even in main menu of game with no precache whatsoever)

it only supports a dictionary of words, not everything, here is a decent dictionary of words and sentences supported https://pastebin.com/F7BicjiD

to execute these in a chain, you need to use double quotes, so in console it would be spk "ass ass hello"
with amxx it would be client_cmd(id, "spk ^"ass ass hello^""); as ^ is used by default instead of \ for escaping (in PAWN)
Thank you, the first two things were understood.
I wanted to know about precaching because I can only put one of these in my script:
public plugin_precache() precache_sound("radio/bombpl.wav");

Thank you for clearifying the usage, I laught quite hard at "ass ass hole" btw.
wickedd
Veteran Member
Old 11-12-2017 , 10:18   Re: How do I use VOX speech engine?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhdude View Post
I wanted to know about precaching because I can only put one of these in my script:
Read this
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 11-12-2017 , 11:11   Re: How do I use VOX speech engine?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhdude View Post
Thank you, the first two things were understood.

Thank you for clearifying the usage, I laught quite hard at "ass ass hole" btw.
Add { } after plugin_precache: BOOM, you can add as many lines as you want.
Old 11-12-2017 , 12:16   Re: How do I use VOX speech engine?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedd View Post
I wouldn't link this just because it might make someone think you need arrays and iteration to precache multiple files

This should do for his question
Code:
public plugin_precache() { precache_sound("misc/opera.wav"); precache_generic("sound/misc/music.mp3"); //... }
useless small optimizations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
On a map that is 512x512x128 units you end up with 3,355,443,200,000 different "positions". To store each one of those positions individually in the variable "user_or" you need 12 terabytes of memory.
DarthMan
Veteran Member
Old 11-12-2017 , 12:35   Re: How do I use VOX speech engine?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron9forever View Post

EMIT_SOUND can be used as well, I guess. On TFC it works ffine, but it must be set on the right channel.
Hectik17
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-13-2017 , 01:10   Re: How do I use VOX speech engine?
Reply With Quote #8

What if you wanted to have a spk sentence play in the speach menu. I have a sentence that needs to be in quotes but it won't play the whole sentence. Only the first word plays. spk "i have no i nice(s40) left _comma _period five(e40) back(s75), yourself call(e25) us(e50) coolant(s60)"

Or when trying to bind it won't work: bind "p" spk "i have no i nice(s40) left _comma _period five(e40) back(s75), yourself call(e25) us(e50) coolant(s60)"