12% 

Post New Thread Reply   

Antoweif
Old 06-02-2012 , 06:36   .
Reply With Quote #1

Last edited by Antoweif; 04-03-2014 at 18:50. Reason: Delete this Message
wickedd
Veteran Member
Old 06-02-2012 , 12:01   Re: (story) 100fps vs 1000fps, the never ending question
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoweif View Post
I'm posting it as a public private document
LOL...That's an oxymoron.

Last edited by wickedd; 06-02-2012 at 12:02.
pillepallus
Old 06-02-2012 , 12:11   Re: (story) 100fps vs 1000fps, the never ending question
Reply With Quote #3

wtf... i failed in line 1874687456... i think he should get a price for the biggest thread ever. i'll wait for the next thread about 100000 fps. xD
AmineKyo
فوق سريرك
Old 06-02-2012 , 18:04   Re: (story) 100fps vs 1000fps, the never ending question
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillepallus View Post
wtf... i failed in line 1874687456... i think he should get a price for the biggest thread ever. i'll wait for the next thread about 100000 fps. xD
Just in one line
follow everything he says and make fps_max 9999999999999 for unlimited FPS
vamppa
Old 06-02-2012 , 20:38   Re: (story) 100fps vs 1000fps, the never ending question
Reply With Quote #5

not badly written, I am a league organizer and a Elite half-life deathmatch - adrenaline gamer player.
ive played since the start (won times) hosted servers, tested loads and loads specially since the last 2-3 years.
I can confirm the observation you have described here as 90% my own.

gladly someone tried to unravel this vague matter, as there is much vagueness too it.
any guy coming in here trying to act like he knows it all I would have 99% chance of not believing him
because most are just convinced how something works but have not tried it out, played and experienced it all.
many want to provide the certainty we all want to hear ofcourse, I dont blame them.
what you are doing here is good it will bring us closer to the actual whole picture.

anyway to hopefully help you,
heres some additional information i did not read much about in your article.
client side have bugged fps values the formula is 1000/dived by a number = bugged value.
I had thought about 1000 being in relation to the 1000 server side fps but I dont know this (remains unconfirmed)
client fps of 200, 250, 125, etc either give you "actual in server" slightly increased speed or on the contrary slower speed, longer airtime while in jump etc.
the bugged values are in 5- and +5 range, the closer you get the more you will notice.
at the same time it is worse at higher values such as 250.
not only does the speed different more, but at this value, what we call in our community the "standing dead" sometimes occur at least in our hl1 game, ive not tested elsewhere.
Description: when someone dies at 200-250client fps, the animation can freeze and remain standing. the corpse remains standing I believe for the same lenght period as normally would on the ground. but im doubting actually now if they dont remain standing for the entire 20min map period.
later down the road I have discovered that bugged client side fps also effect the hit boxes.
this can be best tested with a high fire rate weapon, not only that for some reason with such a bugged value on the cvar fps_modem I can hit better "as if I am more in sync"
this last part remains unresolved to me because of many diff factors playing a part but we in our community are convinced that the effect on hit boxes is very much true.

to get rid of this every client must set

developer 0
fps_max 100
fps_modem 0

but here lies the problem, this would require every client to have this forced (which is considered slowhacking on here)
the fps value may also not be lower then 100 unless it is 60, 72.
to force this the server would require to have amxmodx or metamod etc. (even with a client side Anti-cheat you would need amx to check whether everyone is running that program)
which brings us back to not running a clean server
which next to other server setup does more to your server than is commonly known today.
I do believe with such a client side anti-cheat program and a stripped down server machine running only one metamod plugin that checks for this client anti-cheat would be best achievable by us.
unless there is some remote possiblity to check clients whether their running the anti-cheat program?
anyway an update from valve fixing this would be gold, but I believe it can not be fixed without drastically changing the hl1 engine code.
a few years back one of our programmers tried to make a client program to adjust any value above 100fps to have the 100fps speed but have their client render as whatever they had set.
i.e. 200fps set while 100fps speed for all the tics.
last I heard he said he had underestimated the bug ....
so that probably is a dead end.
I wonder if valve could fix it, I got low hopes that if they could whether or not they would.

maybe Ill get back here to give my idea of what the best quality is that I can get these days, to see what you guys think and exchange, learn.
that said im rounding things up to call in my resignation of community services so i cant promise anything.
to moderators, please dont remove this post, the cat is out of the bag since a long time about the fps bug, this might be a good chance to come up with something.
Antoweif
Old 06-03-2012 , 10:43   Re: (story) 100fps vs 1000fps, the never ending question
Reply With Quote #6

That's interesting vamppa. Because many players use fps_max 120+ (developer 1) to match their monitors refreshrate. Higher is better, right?

Wickedd, wicked vocabulary you've got there

What I'm trying to explain and hopefully show to you guys is that 100fps can be just as good as a 1000fps server.
Higher doesn't always mean better, this is what I'm trying to get people to understand
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 06-04-2012 , 22:33   Re: (story) 100fps vs 1000fps, the never ending question
Reply With Quote #7

TLDR;

NEVER use Task Priority "RealTime" for anything. It can/will cause OS instability

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
kileedyg
BANNED
Old 06-05-2012 , 05:02   Re: (story) 100fps vs 1000fps, the never ending question
Reply With Quote #8

fully enough stable 500fps with ssd, people got extremely low ping and latency. ssd's are costly but worth, you can choose beetween buy a latest cpu like intel i7 3xxx series or just put server on old pentium 4 ht pair with ssd, compared both results pentium 4 win
Send a message via Skype™ to kileedyg
vamppa
Old 06-05-2012 , 10:05   Re: (story) 100fps vs 1000fps, the never ending question
Reply With Quote #9

yeah defiantly stability is more important
I imagen game server providers try to answer the demand for 1000fps with just getting the number so they can host more servers on one machine.
then again ive no idea, quality over quantity makes more sense to me.
aka stability does more good to those heat moments on CPU use for hit registery.
then a high frame count number would.
if you can get both though, lets say 500fps stable that is quite great.

you are right about the 120fps observation
at our league we have set the client fps limit at 125 for lcd, tft monitor technology reasons (flikkering, screen tearing etc)
eventho 125fps in itself is a bugged value, it doesn't cause the standing death, the speed and other bug effects aren't as progressive.
in other words this is a lifeable compromise. (yet fucks up the hit registry)
120fps is the more slower but longer air time variant btw

most think why restrict what my hardware can do? why restrict my eye candy?
these are the people that are unaware of the fps bug existence.
with our old CRT's we didn't need more then 100fps to fix any flickering like for TFT's
the monitor technology development through that time was great for power efficiency, eye health, slim & light weight on the desk.
for gamers though downright shit, OLED screens are coming back for us at this end.
believe me the monitor development time is a load of a story on itself

when people set fps 200 on their LCD, aahh it feels like old times again with the CRT.
and yeah in sense of game feeling, smoothness and speed it does (ive had both standing on my desktop since some time ^^)
god I love the CRT for gaming, now I have removed it again since im quiting from competitive gaming or regular gaming in total.
anyway sadly the fps bug fucks up a lot more then is good.
with LCD 200fps the speed you get is actual game tic going slightly more faster to make up for your LCD slow technology, it is not just the hz.
(imagen 200fps with a CRT Lol, that is almost as bad as cheating I honestly have not tried 200 with my CRT only 125fps simply because it would alter the time speed for my bunnyhop rytm
at AG we allow bunnyhopping, it is part of our q3 speed like death match game)

anyway go back in time and you'll remember that most of our PC's couldn't get stable 100fps let alone over it.
also back then most did not know it could even be done by unlocking the possibility with (developer 1)

to sum it up I do believe this is one of the major things that changed compared to old times hit registery.
(well that and steam eventho is great platform now)
lastly im not sure how it is at you guys for cs1.6 but at AG we had a major blow of ukraine, bulgaria, russian, turkey players coming to steam with shit connections using settings like cl_cmdrate 30
so when testing something be sure to know who your opponent is!

Last edited by vamppa; 06-05-2012 at 10:21.
vamppa
Old 06-05-2012 , 10:26   Re: (story) 100fps vs 1000fps, the never ending question
Reply With Quote #10

ohyeah we do for our league, no doubt about that
in a way it is not even slowhacking for us as they agree to play by the league rules.
help me get that most efficiently done, as our current cvar checker uses the set_task too frequent.
reducing it might be the best option but I wonder if interval or game event checking would be more efficient?
if you know some other way that I dont even better!

Thread to Help: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=186584

sadly, as previously stated server side wise preformance would go down, from a clean server to metamod 'n amxmodx would be used, which I had already stripped down as much as I could.
also it wouldn't be the strongest way as client side hacks can tell the server what ever they want.
i.e. Hi server, I answer to your query and say that I am using 100fps while I actuall am using 200fps hihi ^^
none the less better then nothing for a league.

Last edited by vamppa; 06-05-2012 at 10:32.