Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Force Round time limit?

Post New Thread Reply   

FunkyLoveCow
Old 08-09-2012 , 10:17   Force Round time limit?
Reply With Quote #1

Is there a cvar in TF2 where I can force a round to have a specific time limit? If not, is there a plugin that does this?
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-09-2012 , 10:54   Re: Force Round time limit?
Reply With Quote #2

I'm not aware of any such cvar. The round time is usually determined by the map maker.

The problem with having a round time cvar and/or plugin is that different game types would need different round times:
  • Attack/Defend CP, Medieval CP, and PL start with fixed time and it's extended by a specific amount of time every time a point in capped. RED wins when this time runs out.
  • 5CP starts with fixed time and it's set back to that time every time a point is capped. Game stalemates if teams are tied when time runs out.
  • TC starts with a fixed time. Game stalemates if teams are tied when time runs out.
  • CTF lasts for the entire map time or until X captures are made (configureable by cvar; defaults to 3). Game stalemates if teams are tied when time runs out.
  • KOTH lasts forever until the point is capped for the first time, at which point it can be between 3 and 6 minutes unless the attacking team managed to keep the point in play during overtime.
  • PLR lasts forever (except on plr_nightfall) until one team pushes their cart all the way to the end. plr_nightfall starts the carts automatically rolling forward when time runs out.
  • Arena lasts forever until one team is dead or the point is captured.
In other words: CTF, PLR, and Arena are the only two types that really need a round timer... and maybe KOTH with really bad teams.

Last edited by Powerlord; 08-09-2012 at 10:59.
FunkyLoveCow
Old 08-15-2012 , 15:15   Re: Force Round time limit?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
<snip>
In other words: CTF, PLR, and Arena are the only [three] types that really need a round timer... and maybe KOTH with really bad teams.
Conveniently, I want it for Arena.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-15-2012 , 15:20   Re: Force Round time limit?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyLoveCow View Post
Conveniently, I want it for Arena.
I don't know if there's a separate plugin to do it, but Freak Fortress 2 has code to add a round timer. I think it uses ShowSyncHudText to display it, though.