Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Ping trouble

Post New Thread Reply   

P4rD0nM3
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2008 , 16:50   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #11

100Mbit Down / 20Mbit Up? Assuming he is residing in the United States...I find it extremely hard to believe, and yes it is 2008! Maybe if he is residing in the EU or Asia...

He also said he's using that connection on a home computer. Kudos if you have that kind of connection at your house.

[img]http://img261.**************/img261/7341/speedtestfd5.png[/img]

If your speed test is like that, it is your hardware! What kind of NIC are you using?
kp_uparrow
Penalized Member
Old 03-02-2008 , 17:00   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #12

20megabit costs like 200 at least
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 03-02-2008 , 17:16   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Affordable symmetrical 20 Mbit connections are available for residential customers even in America. This is 2008.
It is not just the 20Mbps up, it is the 100 down and 20 up that seems odd

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
kp_uparrow
Penalized Member
Old 03-02-2008 , 17:30   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #14

i think its kbit
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-02-2008 , 20:28   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #15

Maybe you guys missed my link. kp_uparrow definitely did. 100 Mbps downstream is common in parts of Europe and Asia. Relatively unusual yes, odd, no.

You're all making such a big deal out of a total non-issue. If the guy is lying, the only person he would be harming is himself (i.e. jeopardising useful support). Think about it.

Last edited by Lee; 03-02-2008 at 20:58.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 03-02-2008 , 20:50   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #16

Lol, I didn't doubt it is possible to get those speeds.

Heres the thing though, is that when you buy those packages, they do NOT ever garuntee those speeds. It is always described as "Up to 20mb" not "You receive 20mb". Things can slow down the speed involuntarily, so what the thread starter needs to do is to go to a speed test during the time of day he notices the ping problem and then screen shot it for us.

Another thing that can cause ping is his internal network unless he is directly connected to the modem, but then he must be playing the game and hosting the server on the same machine, which would cause ping issues as well.
P4rD0nM3
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2008 , 21:31   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Affordable symmetrical 20 Mbit connections are available for residential customers even in America. This is 2008.
Well Lee, since you said 'This is 2008.', it somehow made me think that you're telling me that I'm dumb for not knowing that such home connections exist. I do know that they exist, just not in the USA (Not yet).
Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-02-2008 , 21:39   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #18

@TheNewt
So you're saying that high speed residential connections are like any other residential connection then? Even 256 Kbps ADSL will have a contention ratio of 1:25-1:50 and are advertised in the same way. We'll ignore the fact that what you originally said doesn't remotely fit your explanation.

There's a reason 1.5 Mbps (A|S)DSL connections are cheaper than T1 and that's because the cost is split between all the subscribers in your neighbourhood.

The reason that I'm telling you this (you may already know) is because this user was singled out because of his connection speed when the issues you cite are common to all residential connections.

@P4rD0nM3
I have not been considering his downstream speed (since it is not the issue of contention) when making my posts. Not being in touch with current technology in no way makes you "dumb".

My original point was that contesting his connection speed is completely off-topic. Debating it further is even worse.

Last edited by Lee; 03-02-2008 at 21:53.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 03-03-2008 , 01:02   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #19

I repeat
Quote:
Another thing that can cause ping is his internal network unless he is directly connected to the modem, but then he must be playing the game and hosting the server on the same machine, which would cause ping issues as well.
doonne
Old 03-03-2008 , 02:15   Re: Ping trouble
Reply With Quote #20

Ok, so here's my Upload speed test screenshot taken 3/3-08
It's in swedish and uppströms means upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upspeed.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	24247