Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[TF2] Some players CAN join, some CAN'T.

Post New Thread Reply   

Mayor Gamer
Old 01-15-2018 , 21:02   [TF2] Some players CAN join, some CAN'T.
Reply With Quote #1

Hello there.

So for a while now I've been hosting from my own machine a SRCDS server (specifically Team Fortress 2). My IP and port can be seen by everyone (it is port forwarded correctly) it can be pinged by everyone. However, some players in TF2 cannot connect to the server.

I've been doing a lot of troubleshooting myself and found a very unstable "fix"; each player that CAN'T join must change their clientport manually in order to get in the server. Thing is, other players with the default 27005 clientport can connect just fine.

The players that CAN'T join can ping the server just fine, so my ports are forwarded correctly since the world can see my IP. However, they can't connect to the server. They get the famous Connection failed after 4 retries, as if they couldn't even see my IP in the first place, which they can.

So I don't know what could be causing this. It's been 2 weeks since this started and this is still happening. Anyone else has this problem? Anyone knows anything about this?

Thanks in advance.
hamilton5
Veteran Member
Old 01-15-2018 , 23:18   Re: [TF2] Some players CAN join, some CAN'T.
Reply With Quote #2

there is no correlation between 'pinging a server' and 'forwarding ports'.. you must connect to the server port that the server is running on, so be it if they must change it... I'm not sure what you mean 'change their client port manually' - they should be able to; connect IP:27005
Mayor Gamer
Old 01-15-2018 , 23:36   Re: [TF2] Some players CAN join, some CAN'T.
Reply With Quote #3

They can ping my IP on the port 27015 (The port I'm hosting the server on / hostport).

Clientport is a cvar that you can set either on the server or on the client's end. So if they change the clientport value on the client's end to some other port they CAN join.

The hostport is 27015, clientport is 27005. They're both default like they should be.