Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Solved Sourcemod "My first ever plugin" not printing to console.

Post New Thread Reply   

lowheartrate
Old 04-18-2017 , 01:47   Sourcemod "My first ever plugin" not printing to console.
Reply With Quote #1

I am following this Introduction to SourceMod Plugins tutorial trying to learn how to code Sourcemod plugins and on the getting code to run portion of the article. After I compiled the following code using the compiler recommended, and adding the .smx file into my server /addons/sourcemod/plugins/ folder it doesn't seem to print anything in the console as it should. Not sure what it is I am doing wrong as my code looks exactly as they say it should.

Code:
#include <sourcemod>

public Plugin myinfo =
{
	name = "my first plugin",
	author = "lowheartrate",
	description = "my first plugin ever",
	version = "1.0",
	url = "http://www.sourcemod.net/"
};

public void OnPluginStart()
{
	PrintToServer("Hello world!");
}

Last edited by lowheartrate; 04-18-2017 at 04:07.
Sillium
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-18-2017 , 02:08   Re: Sourcemod "My first ever plugin" not printing to console.
Reply With Quote #2

Did you drop the plugin in the folder while the server was running? Did you load the plugin?

www.unterwasserpyromanen.de
lowheartrate
Old 04-18-2017 , 02:14   Re: Sourcemod "My first ever plugin" not printing to console.
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillium View Post
Did you drop the plugin in the folder while the server was running? Did you load the plugin?
I put the plugin in /addons/sourcemod/plugins while server was offline and rebooted it afterwards. I did not do anything other then dropping the plugin in /plugins/ folder and not sure what command to use in console to load a plugin...

EDIT: I got it to work but had to unload the plugin first and load it back up for it to display "Hello World!". Not sure if I am supposed to see it as I join the server or what.
Code:
sm_rcon sm plugins unload plugin
sm_rcon sm plugins load plugin

Last edited by lowheartrate; 04-18-2017 at 02:23.
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 04-18-2017 , 03:00   Re: Sourcemod "My first ever plugin" not printing to console.
Reply With Quote #4

You've placed the code in OnPluginStart(), which means it happens when the plugin starts. Further, you've used PrintToServer(), which prints to the server, and not to players.

If you want to display the message to players as they join, you will need to use OnClientPutInServer() or something similar, and PrintToChat().

Last edited by ddhoward; 04-18-2017 at 03:02.
lowheartrate
Old 04-18-2017 , 03:02   Re: Sourcemod "My first ever plugin" not printing to console.
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
You've placed the code in OnPluginStart(), which means it happens when the plugin starts. Further, you've used PrintToServer(), which prints to the server, and not to players.
Okay, so really "Hello World!" is being displayed as soon as server goes live and the plugin(s) are loaded. That's why I only seen it when I manually reloaded the plugin?!
Old 04-18-2017 , 03:04   Re: Sourcemod "My first ever plugin" not printing to console.
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowheartrate View Post
Okay, so really "Hello World!" is being displayed as soon as server goes live and the plugin(s) are loaded. That's why I only seen it when I manually reloaded the plugin?!
Correct. I've edited my previous post with alternative forwards and functions to result in the behavior that you expected.