Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Read if you run a server from Home or want to!

Post New Thread Reply   

slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 12-26-2007 , 22:46   Read if you run a server from Home or want to!
Reply With Quote #1

Hi everybody, I am here to clarify a couple things about running a game server (or two, three, etc...) from home. No, I will not go into detail how to obtain HLDS updates or how to start servers; this is information.

When you give your IP address to your server out, unless all the players are connected to the SAME router/switch, it is NOT something like this: 192.168.X.X where X is a number between 0-255. It should be something like: 67.23.1.6:27015

Before you think of not paying for a dedicated server at a data center, take into consideration the toll running server(s) will have on your hardware. It will use CPU/RAM/Hard Drive space as well as lots of bandwidth. You need to have a decent computer to run a server stable with slots in mind. There are many guides out there to reference in regards to server requirements so use your favorite search engine to properly identify websites with good explanations/declarations of required hardware.

Legality: Internet Service Providers are obligated to provide service to all customers (you and others). They clearly state running servers is against their Terms of Service (here is a direct quote from Comcast Business TOS: "The Service cannot be used to run servers unless you have selected a Service plan which includes a static or statically assigned IP address." - TOS)
They have the right to a) suspend your internet usage, b) report you to the government under unlawful use of provided services and c) shutdown internet/package with consequences (ie: cancellation fee as well as no refund).
- I mention these facts as they are not well known or understood (particularly the legal one as many people ignore TOSes as well as worry about their ISP busting them because "they don't care about me, I'm just a kid" but sometimes they have too much time on their hands, and they do care.)

Resource for anyone interested in HLDS servers: http://hlds101.com/index.htm

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
M249-M4A1
I <3 Mac
Old 12-26-2007 , 23:19   Re: Read if you run a server from Home or want to!
Reply With Quote #2

I just switched to FiOS and didn't even think about terms of service. What does Verizon say about this?
Old 12-27-2007 , 00:19   Re: Read if you run a server from Home or want to!
Reply With Quote #3

they all say NO SERVERS so you don't bog up their bandwidth

i mean how stupid is that? they allow you to have that much bandwidth but you can't just use it for servers
Donor
Old 12-27-2007 , 00:24   Re: Read if you run a server from Home or want to!
Reply With Quote #4

Unless you get the static IP kp_uparrow, think about why someone would get a static ip? So that others can connect without worrying about your IP changing, aka: server or service.

M249 Check to see if verizon has a plan that would let you get a Static IP.
M249-M4A1
I <3 Mac
Old 12-27-2007 , 02:16   Re: Read if you run a server from Home or want to!
Reply With Quote #5

Hmmm, I looked literally everywhere but I got nothing from Verizon. The only thing it said was "remember to download legally".
Old 12-27-2007 , 04:57   Re: Read if you run a server from Home or want to!
Reply With Quote #6

For Verizon consumer package. "...The consumer offers do not permit customers to host any type of server, personal or commercial...."

For ComCast. "...run programs, equipment, or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises LAN (Local Area Network), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited services and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;..."
i like ham
Old 12-27-2007 , 10:31   Re: Read if you run a server from Home or want to!
Reply With Quote #7

I've been running a HLDS server on Comcast for years with no problems or complaints from my ISP.

Unless they want to give me a discount on my internet usage, I will continue to run the server, and if they disconnect my service, I will simply move to something faster.
Old 12-27-2007 , 11:20   Re: Read if you run a server from Home or want to!
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3 View Post
For Verizon consumer package. "...The consumer offers do not permit customers to host any type of server, personal or commercial...."
That's so weird. I checked their FAQ again and it's not there!
Old 12-27-2007 , 23:53   Re: Read if you run a server from Home or want to!
Reply With Quote #9

lol.
WHY NOT GET A DUS ?

I hate Spammers
vvg125
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 12-28-2007 , 00:47   Re: Read if you run a server from Home or want to!
Reply With Quote #10

Because no one knows what a DUS is... except you apparently.