[L4D] Versus Only

Post New Thread Reply   

msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 02-04-2009 , 18:22   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by protatoe View Post
I had read somewhere that to make a server one mode or the other only, you could remove the corresponding maps. Is that not true? On second thought maybe this is designed more for forked servers? The method I'd read would not work at all on forked servers...

Good job all the same.
Whoever wrote that piece of shit article needs to be hung and shot. It makes your server crash when someone joins from the Lobby for a Coop game, which yeah sure makes it Versus "only" but most people don't know that what they are doing is extremely harmful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydiss View Post
We don't want anyone playing Coop on our server for two main reasons:

Okay, I guess. I don't know why you just wouldn't make the server Private, but whatever, to each his own.
Old 02-04-2009 , 18:58   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #12

Thanks for the clarification on the removing the maps point. It did seem wrong.

"This plugin is as elegant as possible" that made me laugh. I think the plugin is great, and I'm going to install it on my server tonight. That line just reminded me of an old joke.

If you write something as elegant as your possibly can, and debugging is twice as difficult as programming, then by definition you are incapable of debugging your program.
Ydiss
Old 02-04-2009 , 19:00   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
Whoever wrote that piece of shit article needs to be hung and shot. It makes your server crash when someone joins from the Lobby for a Coop game, which yeah sure makes it Versus "only" but most people don't know that what they are doing is extremely harmful.

Okay, I guess. I don't know why you just wouldn't make the server Private, but whatever, to each his own.
Huh? We want people to enjoy our server all day. And the more the merrier. That's why we wrote this.

No point me spending my hard earned cash on something that's never used.

Versus = 8 players once every hour (or shorter). Coop = 4 players once every 1-3+ hours. Maybe longer.

That's the main reason. We hate Coop. We don't want it on our server. Unfortunately Valve gave us no way to restrict joiners to people seeking Versus only. This method is the best solution I've seen yet to enable us to do this.

I'd much prefer a system that prevented MM from finding our server at all if the lobby is for Coop.

Last edited by Ydiss; 02-04-2009 at 19:02.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 02-04-2009 , 19:25   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #14

Alright that's fine, I'm not gonna argue the point. I think it's weird that you hate 3/4ths of the game, but like I said, whatever gets it up for you.
Old 02-04-2009 , 19:35   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #15

cool, interesting way to return to lobby.
L4DHelp
Old 02-05-2009 , 08:41   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #16

Can you possibly add a command to disable the plugin? If me and my friends want to play a co-op map, it would be handy to just punch a command into HLSW before joining, instead of removing the plugin each time.
Old 02-05-2009 , 09:05   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #17

You can use the following 2 commands in hlsw to enable and disable the plugin.

sm plugins load versusonly
sm plugins unload versusonly

Hope that helps.
L4DHelp
Old 02-05-2009 , 09:28   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #18

Thanks, brilliant plugin.
Old 02-05-2009 , 09:38   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
Alright that's fine, I'm not gonna argue the point. I think it's weird that you hate 3/4ths of the game, but like I said, whatever gets it up for you.

Guy, we don't like the 3/4 of the game because these 3/4 are now extremly boring. Give me new official maps, I'll repass my server on coop / versus.
daveyboye
Old 02-05-2009 , 09:44   Re: [L4D] Versus Only
Reply With Quote #20

Hey guys, I have an instructional manual for setting up a perfect versus only server over at the l4d411 forums. The way that it is set up is that you are never kicked to the lobby, unless you quit. The lobby resets itself when all people quit, and anybody can join again. Getting it to work perfectly does take some work and the manual needs to be followed to the dot. I know I will got a lot of heat here for offering this solution, but that is ok! I know how forums operate. It's just a suggestion for those looking to run a bug free VERSUS ONLY server. Currently, there are over 70 servers world wide using this configuration. My server was the first ever Versus Only server and has been recognized by Valve. My server is ranked 14th in the U.S. and 49th in the world. Check out the instructions: http://www.left4dead411.com/forums/i...m=9&topic=8755 and you can test the server yourself at 72.51.60.222:27035 [____Skul`Shock Versus____] . Sorry for posting this on your plugin thread pathfinder. You may delete it if you prefer, was just looking to provide an alternative for folks.

Last edited by daveyboye; 02-05-2009 at 09:47.