12% 

Return an array in stock

Post New Thread Reply   

KiLLeR.
Old 10-18-2017 , 20:26   Re: Return an array in stock
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
I'm pretty sure someone(Klippy? PRoSToTeM@?) posted a good explanations about that. You should try searching.
Are you talking about that?! Also he is using a module and I was asking just for simple function in amxx plugin. As far as I understand the biggest problem is that returning array use 2x more memory?!
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 10-19-2017 , 02:59   Re: Return an array in stock
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR. View Post
Are you talking about that?! Also he is using a module and I was asking just for simple function in amxx plugin. As far as I understand the biggest problem is that returning array use 2x more memory?!
No. I was telling to search about why it's bad to return arrays. Just do not do it.
Old 10-19-2017 , 08:32   Re: Return an array in stock
Reply With Quote #13

O also thought about that 2x memory logic.
When you write directly to array its just one action but when you return a value it writes the same values 2 times. Like one time in local array from function and second time when you write values in external array.

I'm think that's an enough reason not to use return..

Also I think the same thing can be said about integers values. Like instead of returning value of an expression, it can be saved directly to an external integer variable. It's more symbols in code but I think its more efficient when you call a function like per frame and it saves directly to integer variable.

I am wrong?
Bugsy
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 10-22-2017 , 11:14   Re: Return an array in stock
Reply With Quote #14

The amount benefit for storing directly to the external variable (byref) versus a function returning a value and then being set is trivial. Plus, you may only want to conditionally set the value to the external variable based on a particular outcome of the function. I would only set byref if it makes sense from a program-flow/programming perspective.