Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

View Poll Results: Will you use Steam on a Mac?
No! 167 74.55%
I will play Steam games. 20 8.93%
I will run dedicated servers. 5 2.23%
I will play games AND run servers. 32 14.29%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a Mac?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

SaintK
Veteran Member
Old 04-16-2010 , 04:28   Re: Do you have a Mac?

I had written a lengthy post here, but after re-reading it 3 times i felt i am unable to get my toughs translated into text the way i want too.

In short, i think SM should support the MAC platform. In my opinion the broader the support, the more users (the more the merry, right?). Also i think its important to bring support as it will help in future decisions on multi-platform support from (game)dev's. After all, if VALVe releases the MAC port, and no one would use it, why should they consider supporting other OS'ses in the future?

And as last, to quote BAILOPAN, "FORWARD, ALWAYS FORWARD!"

Cheers,

Last edited by SaintK; 04-16-2010 at 04:30.
BasouKazuma
Old 04-17-2010 , 13:17   Re: Do you have a Mac?

I thought the noobs in the games I played were bad enough ... having Mac noobs enter the playing field will just make things worse.

Though that's a Valve issue so supporting or not supporting Mac for Sourcemod will not affect this. I'm sure you'll get nagged by people to support it anyway but, then again, most Mac users aren't tech savvy enough to set this stuff up.
D-Skript
BANNED
Old 04-17-2010 , 20:30   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Macs are shit.
The009
Old 04-18-2010 , 02:15   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Just because people own a mac isn't a bad thing, the only reason i have Windows is because of games and a few programs.

I hate windows, and mac all the same, I'm a Linux junky.

Should you port over to mac and spend the $$ I would say not until the market is big enough for it.

I don't see many people running "Dedicated" mac servers for dedicated or even colo server.

I think you have the biggest market covered by using windows and linux support.
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-18-2010 , 21:41   Re: Do you have a Mac?

So much platform bashing.
If Valve supports a dedicated server for OS X then mods will be developed.

BAILOPAN
Old 04-19-2010 , 00:01   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Quote:
I don't see many people running "Dedicated" mac servers for dedicated or even colo server.
Neither do I. The hardware is expensive so there would have to be significant cost savings somewhere else. The question wasn't really aimed at GSPs or people renting/buying professional hardware. It was more aimed at homebrew setups - people who would prefer to do testing and development on OS X (like me), or have Macs in their computing environment and want to run servers off them.
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-19-2010 , 06:10   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Never MAC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk552
SeToY is a retard, scumbag and asshole and you shouldn't pretend that he isn't.
Geek_Loco
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-21-2010 , 21:52   Re: Do you have a Mac?

I have 2 Linux router/gateway systems, a Vista and 2 Win7 laptops, Win7 gaming desktop, Vista desktop to run CSS, TF2, L4D and L4D2 servers, and a Mac Mini. I don't use the Mac as much as I would like to and if I could off load the game servers to the Mac Mini, it would be a good power savings over running the desktop 24/7. The servers are used less by the general public than by my clan and for testing mods and settings. I would very much want SM if the servers were ported to Mac.
Black Haze
BANNED
Old 04-23-2010 , 14:19   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Never MAC...
I'll even auto-ban Mac users on my servers when it comes out...

Last edited by Black Haze; 04-23-2010 at 14:37.
Black Haze
BANNED
Old 04-23-2010 , 14:27   Re: Do you have a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintK View Post
I had written a lengthy post here, but after re-reading it 3 times i felt i am unable to get my toughs translated into text the way i want too.

In short, i think SM should support the MAC platform. In my opinion the broader the support, the more users (the more the merry, right?). Also i think its important to bring support as it will help in future decisions on multi-platform support from (game)dev's. After all, if VALVe releases the MAC port, and no one would use it, why should they consider supporting other OS'ses in the future?

And as last, to quote BAILOPAN, "FORWARD, ALWAYS FORWARD!"

Cheers,
Why would anyone WANT coders to code for Mac? Please, PLEASE Let this Mac experiment fail!

I don't want coders to have to take time for *eugh* Mac, time that they could use to further develop the games for the real platform.

Even worse, what if they have to leave certain things out because the *eugh* Mac can't run it? Mac's aren't really known for their superior hardware, though the Mac freaks would like to have you believe it.

They're just not worth it.
Closed Thread