Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Still possible to use mapname.txt/jpg?

Post New Thread Reply   

BReeZ
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-27-2016 , 10:54   Still possible to use mapname.txt/jpg?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

Is it still possible somehow to make users download the mapname.txt and mapname.jpg?

I've seen threads explaining how this adds bad advertisements on exsisting maps etc, which makes totally sense.

I wanted to use this on our own edited maps, which means we've already tried to pakrat the files into the map but that did not work.

There should be an option to put the map.jpg into the map from the workshop but that does not fix the .txt .

I also tried with the "SM File/Folder Downloader and Precacher" that did not work either.

Any help here? Thank you in advance.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-27-2016 , 17:23   Re: Still possible to use mapname.txt/jpg?
Reply With Quote #2

It's best practice to use either the Steam Workshop, Pakrat, or VIBE, all of which do work.
I personally use Pakrat, but some issues arise where the file can become corrupted and takes several tries to work.
I believe Valve has disabled the method of downloading individually because some default maps didn't come with one or have one. Can't find the proof of that, but I remember reading it somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
But again, it does work but it does take a few tries for it to work properly with Pakrat, VIBE may work better.
Link to Pakrat
Link to VIBE

Last edited by Maxximou5; 07-27-2016 at 17:23.
BReeZ
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-28-2016 , 07:28   Re: Still possible to use mapname.txt/jpg?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
It's best practice to use either the Steam Workshop, Pakrat, or VIBE, all of which do work.
I personally use Pakrat, but some issues arise where the file can become corrupted and takes several tries to work.
I believe Valve has disabled the method of downloading individually because some default maps didn't come with one or have one. Can't find the proof of that, but I remember reading it somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
But again, it does work but it does take a few tries for it to work properly with Pakrat, VIBE may work better.
Link to Pakrat
Link to VIBE
Thank you Max! I'll see what i can do. I also got replies from others, stating that Valve has disabled the downloads of these files. So that's no longer an option atleast. I will check out VIDE.