Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

SteamID Identifier

Post New Thread Reply   

fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-09-2010 , 18:40   Re: SteamID Identifier
Reply With Quote #11

Just trying to offer an alternative (which I prefer). But, putting the requirement that you must point at the person makes it all illogical (unless you can memorize it that quickly).

I'm sure doing it for those who are in spectate would not be so hard and would be much more logical than the aiming while playing.
Old 11-10-2010 , 07:22   Re: SteamID Identifier
Reply With Quote #12

If I am in-game during actual gameplay, and I look at someone, I see their name. If I am in spectate, I see there there name. So on the very same screens where the name appears in-game (during gameplay or spectate) just append it with the SteamID. I don't understand why this seems so complicated or troublesome.

You evidently don't think that if during actual gameplay that if their number is displayed that it will curb anything. So, why don't you just say so?

For what I've asked for is nowhere near as controversial as some plugins that I've seen created, and yet all I see is negativity toward this (what I perceive as a) simple request.

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=99688

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=3640

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=68751

Each of the above plugins refer to putting players in some sort of "drugged" mode, and maybe I should start a rant about condoning drug use. I'm not asking to do anything to anybody, or create some sort of full-blown mod. So what's up with all the negativity?

OK fellas, I get the picture. You could care less. That's fine. It was what I thought, a simple request. To whether or not you think it's time consuming for someone to use this method or whatever doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Just as it doesn't matter if I so elect not to use any of those plugins from the links indicated above. Nobody is ramming them down my throat, and I didn't intend to ram this down anybody's throat. Your objections to the "concept" are ludicrous in light of your acceptance (or condoning) of those types of plugins I eluded to in those links. You may think that maybe I'm overreacting. I on the other hand don't think so. As I stated, I'm not ramming anything down anybody's throat.

Here's a little food for thought: If the game was originally designed to show your alias (that name which you create to use in-game) and the SteamID, would you be objecting to Valve/Steam because it's there? Maybe, but maybe you'll also grow used to it and it won't bother you any further. As I stated, I'm not asking that this plugin does anything to anybody other than display one more small bit of information.

Thank you for your time, and at a minimum, for livening up this thread a tad.

Last edited by gunsofnavarone; 11-10-2010 at 07:34. Reason: Added additional comments
gunsofnavarone
Old 11-10-2010 , 08:54   Re: SteamID Identifier
Reply With Quote #13

Ah yes, there is one more point.

Let's put this right up front. As the requestor, this is about what I desired. Not what you desired. Let us be clear about this, this isn't about offending someone's moral code. So that is not the issue here. So what this really essentially boils down to is "saleability". Why would anyone invest their time into this if there is no real desire for it. Correct me if I'm wrong please. There exists in these forums no plugin that has been a "flop". There exists in these forums similar plugins that provide a specific function at it's heart that has been modified. All of these points are true. If they are not true (like my pointing out that some plugins may be flops), then that means someone's judgement about a plugins "saleability" was not correct then either.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 11-10-2010 , 10:04   Re: SteamID Identifier
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsofnavarone View Post
If I am in-game during actual gameplay, and I look at someone, I see their name. If I am in spectate, I see there there name. So on the very same screens where the name appears in-game (during gameplay or spectate) just append it with the SteamID.
It is a bit more difficult than you think. The place where you are seeing the name is not generated by AMXX but by the engine.

SourceMod plugin, we have no control over that section

Plugin is unapproved

Quote:
Each of the above plugins refer to putting players in some sort of "drugged" mode, and maybe I should start a rant about condoning drug use.
Go ahead, just make sure you create your post in the SourceMod section as per above.

Quote:
Here's a little food for thought: If the game was originally designed to show your alias (that name which you create to use in-game) and the SteamID, would you be objecting to Valve/Steam because it's there?
While Valve may do that, they would be hit with so much backlash that it isn't worth their time.

Quote:
Ah yes, there is one more point.
Don't double post, use the edit button

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-10-2010 , 18:27   Re: SteamID Identifier
Reply With Quote #15

I was not trying to offend you in any way nor was I implying that the plugin should not be made. I was just trying to understand why you would need this because it will not be a simple plugin to write afaik.

If I was requesting something I would be open to listening to alternative suggestions. You still have the right to say no thanks and continue seeking that which you desire.

I understand that some of my posts may come off as negativity but that was not my intention. I apologize for that.
Old 11-10-2010 , 18:47   Re: SteamID Identifier
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
It is a bit more difficult than you think. The place where you are seeing the name is not generated by AMXX but by the engine.
I see. So you can't add things in AMXX to the screen to that area of the screen as valve created it as "off limits".

Quote:

Plugin is unapproved

That's not the point, but if that's your way of justifying it, so be it. The point was that the request wasn't something that is extreme as anything that appears in these forums. Or are you saying that the comments against my request is based on some moral ground, and as such because this request is in here where you do "have control" that it's not worthy based upon this moral bias?

Quote:
While Valve may do that, they would be hit with so much backlash that it isn't worth their time.
That which you quoted stated that if they ORIGINALLY had done it. Not that if they did it afterwards.

Quote:
Don't double post, use the edit button.
If you note there was nearly 1 1/2 hours between posts. I have done this in the past when additional comments are within brief minutes after the original post. But I didn't think after 1 1/2 hours that it was fair to any other readers or commentators if I modified my comments so late afterward. But, if you think this is good practice, I certainly don't have any objections. Maybe I can even modify the original so much afterwards to completely change what I previously said. Then I can say something to the effect that "that's not what I said". Afterall, I highly doubt that you are comparing both the original and the revised posting to ensure people aren't doing this. But, yes in order to conform to your standards, I'll do as requested. So, please accept my most sincere apologies. My rationale for "double-posting" certainly was as much out of bounds as was my request for this plugin, and not forget that it certainly was not authorized.

So please, are you so outraged by my very comments that you wish to nit-pick non-issue items? I have not lowered this at any point to any name-calling or anything else. But instead have pointed out:

a) my view

b) correctted others where they over simplified my comments in their objections (like the individual who pointed that the number of steps I eluded to didn't come out to anything near the 14 I had previously eluded to).

Now, I had posted another request. That one was totally ignored. Cool. Fine. No problem. But, if someone wants to point out supposed issues, I feel I have a right to correct that mis-guided view either logically (as I've tried to express it) or straight out (as in the steps I later had to show).

And to Mr fysiks, I thank you for your last post. It means a great deal to me. I too am sorry to have interpreted as such.

As stated, I've only tried to express my view on the subject and even after all this, would still like to see it made.

Note: The original request as I had stipulated what I was after asked for above or below name. So if there is some constraints to displaying that tid-bit of information next to the name, then above certainly should be do-able (but then again, what do I know: that's why I requested it and didn't try to create it myself).

Again, thank you.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 11-10-2010 , 19:41   Re: SteamID Identifier
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
I see. So you can't add things in AMXX to the screen to that area of the screen as valve created it as "off limits".
I never said that nor purposely implied it. You claim it is simple to do and I corrected you (like you have done to us in this thread). Because it is an engine generated message, the only way to show the SteamID as you requested is to use a HUD message. Now, I haven't played CS in some time, so I can't remember the exact placement it needs to be in or if there is a different way to get it on there.

Quote:
That's not the point, but if that's your way of justifying it, so be it. The point was that the request wasn't something that is extreme as anything that appears in these forums. Or are you saying that the comments against my request is based on some moral ground, and as such because this request is in here where you do "have control" that it's not worthy based upon this moral bias?
I understand you point, but you need to remember that while the forums have an overall Global Rules, each of the 3 sections has separate rules for plugins. One example is the Drug Use plugins that you pointed out. AMXX doesn't allow it whereas SourceMod apparently does. The AMXX Team has no authority over anything that is posted in the SourceMod section, so we don't have the ability to create the plugin rules over there. The same is true for the SourceMod Team with regards to the AMXX section.

Quote:
That which you quoted stated that if they ORIGINALLY had done it. Not that if they did it afterwards.
My comment still remains valid. If you think otherwise, name me some games that do this.

Quote:
If you note there was nearly 1 1/2 hours between posts. I have done this in the past when additional comments are within brief minutes after the original post. But I didn't think after 1 1/2 hours that it was fair to any other readers or commentators if I modified my comments so late afterward.
While you have a good point, the rule about Double Posting and Bumping still exists.

Quote:
Maybe I can even modify the original so much afterwards to completely change what I previously said. Then I can say something to the effect that "that's not what I said". Afterall, I highly doubt that you are comparing both the original and the revised posting to ensure people aren't doing this.
I have in the past and other Moderators have used it to prove what the poster originally said (mostly dealing with rude comments or other negative posts).

Quote:
So please, are you so outraged by my very comments that you wish to nit-pick non-issue items? I have not lowered this at any point to any name-calling or anything else.
I am not outraged at all, sorry if it may seem like that (it has been a long day at work). My personal opinion on this request is that it is pointless since you have the status command. But, you are free to request whatever you want.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-10-2010 , 20:23   Re: SteamID Identifier
Reply With Quote #18

The HUD messages on DOD are HUGE compared to Counter-Strike so I would never consider using HUD messages for this. However, I've been told that it's possible to make them smaller like CS (but I don't know how, maybe I would like it better if it was smaller)

EDIT:
For when spectating, maybe a modfication of this will work?

Last edited by fysiks; 11-10-2010 at 20:27.
gunsofnavarone
Old 11-10-2010 , 20:54   Re: SteamID Identifier
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
My comment still remains valid. If you think otherwise, name me some games that do this.
The point of this is simple. What I am suggesting here is some small facet of any game that you may personally dislike. Not necessarily that any gamemaker actually uses this. I used that as an example to illustrate as if it was this.

Now to the point of placement. On our server we have scrolling along the bottom of the screen just above the name a repeating message that is spelled out in the amxx.cfg file which basically asks people to contribute to the server, etc.:

amx_scrollmsg "Please contribute to help us keep this server running. ...... We are recruiting" 45

So, is not amx_scrollmsg a plugin itself?

You indicate since the status command is available it is useless. But, as I pointed out if this method is implemented, then I think it would be an improvement. Just because the "status" command is available doesn't render the idea useless. That's like saying because you can select a class which is available in game then the creation of weapon mods are useless. But, yet they exist and are fairly widely used. The weapons mods permit players to change weapons frequently and quickly that they can't otherwise do without going through additional steps to accomplish it. Namely die and change class each time. My request is no different in this respect. I am requesting to do something that may be available by some other means, but to make that process simpler (as I perceive it).

This portion added later:

Yami, you pointed out that you could reduce it to 6 steps. But you erred. Your corrected method would be 7. Because simply typing Status gets you nothing until or unless you take the next step: Press "Enter". But, your point is valid that you've brought it down to the exact number my suggesed/requested plugin would produce. But, I press forward nonetheless. Because I still believe that the number always being displayed will act as a hinderance to a great many players from being pieholes and raising havok on the server.

So I summarize: I yield that it's not necessarily quicker. I still think it's constant display is a very useful tool and one I would still like to have.

Last edited by gunsofnavarone; 11-10-2010 at 21:25.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-10-2010 , 23:46   Re: SteamID Identifier
Reply With Quote #20

Well, I made something up for you. It's not what I interpret your request to be exactly but may serve the purpose for you.

It shows your target's SteamID when you use the +use key while aiming at them. I'm sure it could be optimized as it does like 4 or 5 client prints in a row (nothing fatal, it does what it's supposed to) but let me know if this is even close to an option for you.
Attached Files
File Type: sma Get Plugin or Get Source (temp.sma - 278 views - 652 Bytes)